Retailers struggling?

bluemajor

spoke to a business owner a few weeks ago, she said she has never seen the high level use of credit cards, i think we are in for a bumpy ride in the new year

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
meriwether said:
People are spending their dosh in New York.
Not me, but a lot of people have jetted over. Its bound to have an effect.
I was talking to someone last night about importing or rather buying carpentry tools in/from the states(couple hundred here for a drill, couple hundred there for a screwdriver) and they were saying you have to pay import duty on everything. Though you still save.

I've noticed DVDs have plummeted in price but that could be due to introduction of new format. Going shopping today (culchie's day out - woohoo) so tell ya later ;).

Odyessus said:
youngdan said:
Magic Arse.
What is that supposed to mean?
For some reason that's youngdan's name for Brian Cowen so maybe he's referring to the Budget...

Odyessus

Auditor #9 said:
meriwether said:
I was talking to someone last night about importing or rather buying carpentry tools in/from the states(couple hundred here for a drill, couple hundred there for a screwdriver) and they were saying you have to pay import duty on everything. Though you still save.

I've noticed DVDs have plummeted in price but that could be due to introduction of new format. Going shopping today (culchie's day out - woohoo) so tell ya later ;).

Odyessus said:
youngdan said:
Magic Arse.
What is that supposed to mean?
For some reason that's youngdan's name for Brian Cowen so maybe he's referring to the Budget...

"For some reason that's youngdan's name for Brian Cowen..."[/quote]

????????

CookieMonster

My sister owns a women's clothes shop. The stuff they sell is far from cheap. Frocks come in around €600 average. It opened in September '06 and had a great first christmas.
This year their sales are up 20% so far.

CookieMonster

bluemajor said:
spoke to a business owner a few weeks ago, she said she has never seen the high level use of credit cards, i think we are in for a bumpy ride in the new year
I've heard this, but there are two things to not here.
First, the difference between credit cards and debit cards.
Secondly, the users ability to pay their credit card.

Defeated Romanticist

I'm cautious about having too much sympathy for Irish retailers. In general they are no where near the standard of the foreign and internet competition. I find this especially true in Dublin. Service is non-existant even when you ask for it, I don't know why they just don't automate the sales staff, no-one would notice. The standard is slightly higher in the country but most people who work in shops are checkout people rather than salespeople.
Also the quality and range available in Ireland is chronic. I have spent many saturday afternoons walking around Dublin looking for something worth buying only to take the bus back with nothing other than a paper. I was in Manchester over the summer and found it infinitly better.
Irish retailers must learn to compete or they will die. People arn't going to stand for being offered overpriced crap anymore.

CookieMonster

Defeated Romanticist said:
I'm cautious about having too much sympathy for Irish retailers. In general they are no where near the standard of the foreign and internet competition. I find this especially true in Dublin. Service is non-existant even when you ask for it, I don't know why they just don't automate the sales staff, no-one would notice. The standard is slightly higher in the country but most people who work in shops are checkout people rather than salespeople.
Also the quality and range available in Ireland is chronic. I have spent many saturday afternoons walking around Dublin looking for something worth buying only to take the bus back with nothing other than a paper. I was in Manchester over the summer and found it infinitly better.
Irish retailers must learn to compete or they will die. People arn't going to stand for being offered overpriced crap anymore.
Any specifics or are you just waffling?

Defeated Romanticist

CookieMonster said:
Provide me examples of an establishment in Dublin that is worthy of my custom. It wasn't for the lack of competition they'd all be out of business long ago. The foreign retailers that have come in, rather than shaking up the market, have adapted seemlessly to what went before.

CookieMonster

Just waffling so.

Armchair Activist

meriwether said:
Surely there is some clever company lawyer in this country that can build a case against our national broadcaster RTE for promoting such trips to New York!

Quite a clueless campaign, to encourage Irish people to spend money in another country and not their own me thinks!

Kf

CookieMonster said:
I have to agree with CookieMonster here, if you had farted right over the keyboard it would likely to be more specfic than what you wrote.

CookieMonster

Armchair Activist said:
meriwether said:
Surely there is some clever company lawyer in this country that can build a case against our national broadcaster RTE for promoting such trips to New York!

Quite a clueless campaign, to encourage Irish people to spend money in another country and not their own me thinks!
IBEC versus RTE?

Armchair Activist

CookieMonster said:
Armchair Activist said:
meriwether said:

IBEC versus RTE?
Round 1,
Lets get it on!!!

youngdan

There are always many reasons for the way things are. If the budget is 49 billion it means that 49 billion was extracted from untimately business. Do not say it was extracted from the workers because the workers are paid by the business. A business must generate this 49 billion out of somewhere. Some say that the lowering of corporate tax helped the economy to boom. Now poor Cowen with no control over the monetary system will need a magic arse to produce Euros

Ard-Taoiseach

CookieMonster said:
My sister owns a women's clothes shop. The stuff they sell is far from cheap. Frocks come in around €600 average. It opened in September '06 and had a great first christmas.
This year their sales are up 20% so far.
Indeed, CookieMonster. Your sister's establishment's success is reflective of the fact that retail sales grew at a faster rate in the second and third quarters of this year than last year's corresponding time-periods. Between overall population and incomes growth, retail sales are up 6.8% so far this year. The trend line has been upwards for about 4 years now. Shops are getting busier, faster.

Retailers are indeed struggling, struggling to keep up with demand.

Ard-Taoiseach

Armchair Activist said:
CookieMonster said:
[quote="Armchair Activist":24t5niwv]
meriwether said:

IBEC versus RTE?
Round 1,
Lets get it on!!![/quote:24t5niwv]

Googlefight has all the answers

RTÉ have 590,000 results, IBEC have 195,000 results.

RTÉ....1

IBEC..0

Ard-Taoiseach

rockofcashel said:
Go googlefight.. I just kicked David Cochranes ass.. and IBEC's

2 and 0..
Well done Roc! Though you'd lose to Paper in RPS!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I just put Enda Kenny into it against Bertie Ahern..

try it..

Enda Kenny gets 1 result.. one.. uno.. une..

Is Enda that far under the radar ?

PS... Paper talks a good fight, but I could take him

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies