Retirement party for Dr Brendan Murphy as president of Cork Institute of Technology

SeanieFitz

I must admit that PAC does unearth some shocking incidents of expenditure from time to time, this is a doozy!

€13,000 on a retirement do for a college president, not a case of a few soggy voluvonts and Super Valu sausage rolls for Brendan........I would love to know what were the drapes about

What does really bother me is

1. how hard people have to work to pay college fees and to see money spent like this
2. how often does this happen?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/id-say-it-was-some-bash-lavish-13k-retirement-party-for-college-president-included-ice-sculptures-36328172.html

artfoley56

I must admit that PAC does unearth some shocking incidents of expenditure from time to time, this is a doozy!

€13,000 on a retirement do for a college president, not a case of a few soggy voluvonts and Super Valu sausage rolls for Brendan........I would love to know what were the drapes about

1. how hard people have to work to pay college fees and to see money spent like this

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/id-say-it-was-some-bash-lavish-13k-retirement-party-for-college-president-included-ice-sculptures-36328172.html
to be perfectly honest, as a civil servant, whoever it was signed off on this expenditure should either a) refund the monies spent or b) be fired

The_SR

Is that expensive in the scheme of things?

gijoe

to be perfectly honest, as a civil servant, whoever it was signed off on this expenditure should either a) refund the monies spent or b) be fired
He seems to have signed off on it himself which one of the issues.

artfoley56

He seems to have signed off on it himself which one of the issues.
ask him for it back or start deducting it from his pension, one ice dolphin at a time

SeanieFitz

Is that expensive in the scheme of things?
Try telling that to parents/kids trying to put money together for college fees, 13k is a lot of money in that context

I have no problem if Murphy wanted to spend 13k on a p1ss up with a ice sculpture, drapes and nice pandy however
1. pay for it out of his lump sum or
2. pay for it out of his collection or
3. let guests pay for it but

not the taxpayer, yet again!

do you this this is appropriate spending of taxpayers money?

Uganda

Our third level sector is one of the most wasteful sectors in our public service.

It's so bad, I would imagine that some of the people attending this 13,000 bash are scratching their heads and asking themselves what all the fuss is about.

Marcos the black

L'Oreal. Cos he's worth it....

In his head of course.

SeanieFitz

Our third level sector is one of the most wasteful sectors in our public service.

It's so bad, I would imagine that some of the people attending this 13,000 bash are scratching their heads and asking themselves what all the fuss is about.
Generally speaking I would be a "defender" of the PS however incidents like this disgust me, I genuinely believe them to be immoral. And it does beggar the question is expenditure/waste like this a one off in 3rd level institutions or indicative of how taxpayers money is spent.

Keep digging PAC

Finbar10

The ice dolphins were a pure touch of class, I have to admit! ;)

These guys really know how to spend the cash alright. Presumably, if we ever bring in student loans, they'll be a whole load more moolah washing around the third level sector to be spent! :)

SeanieFitz

These guys really know how to spend the cash alright. Presumably, if we ever bring in student loans, they'll be a whole load more moolah washing around the third level sector to be spent! :)
wasn't there something about the head of Waterford IT also, flight expenses or something and there is also an investigation at UL

carlovian

Apparently senior Dept of Education officials attended.

They didnt seem to mind.

Might have given them a few ideas for their own parties.

fat finger

Student loans working out great in UK

[video=youtube;hHkBhiFxiq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkBhiFxiq8[/video]

SeanieFitz

Apparently senior Dept of Education officials attended.

They didnt seem to mind.

Might have given them a few ideas for their own parties.

Keep digging PAC and, hopefully, some insider will be courageous enough to become a whistleblower. People down the line must be aware of this and should reveal it

Finbar10

wasn't there something about the head of Waterford IT also, flight expenses or something and there is also an investigation at UL
Yes, there has been a bunch of things like that at various third level colleges. Aside from some allegations of staff bullying, I vaguely remember some guy supposedly getting an expensive fitted kitchen courtesy of UL.

Finbar10

Student loans? I'll give you student loans!

[video=youtube;hHkBhiFxiq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkBhiFxiq8[/video]
Spoilsport! How else, may I ask, do you think more ice dolphins are to be funded? Personally, I'd prefer an ice porpoise (might even stoop to an ice walrus)! ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies