• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Return of Famine-era 'Irish Lumper' potato

darkknight

Great Famine spud returns after almost 170 years

The variety of potato at the root of the Great Famine will be widely available in Ireland for the first time in almost 170 years from next week after being re-cultivated by an Antrim potato farmer with a keen interest in the history of the humble spud.

The Irish Lumper was hailed for its nutritional value when it was introduced to Ireland in the early 19th century and quickly grew popular among impoverished farmers in Munster and Connacht because of the ease with which it flourished in the poorest of soil.

The dependence of Ireland’s poor on this single variety proved calamitous, however, and once blight took hold in the 1840s the Lumper was wiped out. It all but disappeared in post-Famine Ireland but five years ago Michael McKillop of Glens of Antrim Potatoes decided to grow the potato. ...

Apparently, it has been getting rave reviews for its taste and nutritional value.

With all those bumps/lumps, peeling could be a bit laborious. But I'll grab a pack if I see them in M&S.

Eire1976

Great Famine spud returns after almost 170 years

Apparently, it has been getting rave reviews for its taste and nutritional value.

With all those bumps/lumps, peeling could be a bit laborious. But I'll grab a pack if I see them in M&S.
Brings it home (literally) to imagine how our nation suffered being forced into a situation of being dependent on a variety of potato to live.

I hope some of the proceeds are going to charity.

Last edited:

darkknight

Brings it home (literally) to imagine the suffering that our nation suffered being forced into a situation of being dependent on a variety of potato to live. ...
Indeed!

We take so much for granted ...

... but it's only a few generations ago.

sic transit

Shouldn't that say "Irish Lumper" available from British Stores?
Not clear if it is just British stores. Will check my own local M&S next week.

Dadaist

Sounds delicious, but if I buy them, do I have to cry while eating them? Or at the very least put on a Damien Dempsey CD, file, whatever?

petaljam

With all those bumps/lumps, peeling could be a bit laborious.[/QUOTE]

Peeling?

Surely you have to ayt them skins and all?

(Over there)

I'd really like to taste them, I'd say there'd be a huge "curiosity" market. Don't know about long term, though. Depends on the taste really.

Dadaist

You are implying that I don't. Eating a patato is not empathising with the victims of the famine, the very notion deserves to be mocked. I have educated myself on the subject to gain an undertanding of what the people of Ireland went through at the time. Next time ask what my opinion is, instead of implying it?

Eire1976

You are implying that I don't. Eating a patato is not empathising with the victims of the famine, the very notion deserves to be mocked. I have educated myself on the subject to gain an undertanding of what the people of Ireland went through at the time. Next time ask what my opinion is, instead of implying it?
Glad to read the above, please then don't make a complete arse of yourself by asking if you should be crying while eating these potato's and then having the neck to complain when someone calls you on it.

Dadaist

Glad to read the above, please then don't make a complete arse of yourself by asking if you should be crying while eating these potato's and then having the neck to complain when someone calls you on it.
But you didn't call me on anything. You made an incorrect assumption, which was obviously an emotional response to the joke I made. Which was my justification for the joke in the first place.

sic transit

ruserious

I will boil mine because roasting would deliver too much joy. I will listen to stories of Peig and eat with my hands as a tribute to my ancestors. I promise to not have any enjoyment eating the Lumper :D

Eire1976

But you didn't call me on anything. You made an incorrect assumption, which was obviously an emotional response to the joke I made. Which was my justification for the joke in the first place.
I did think you were being disrespectful and treating the issue a bit lightly.

There is a time for laughter and piss taking and this isn't it. Ask yourself, would you laugh at the famine victims in Africa,Kids with swollen stomachs etc?

I doubt it, so why do it to your own?

Dadaist

There is a time for laughter and piss taking and this isn't it. Ask yourself, would you laugh at the famine victims in Africa,Kids with swollen stomachs etc?

I doubt it, so why do it to your own?
Read my post again. I didin't direct my joke at famine victims, far from it. I was mocking the concept of someone getting over emotional about a vegtable grown in 2012/13. Thank you for proving my point.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes

There is a time for laughter and piss taking and this isn't it.
There is no time that isn't a time for laughter and piss-taking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies