• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Return of the McDowell

riker1969

I hear he is thinking of running again in Dublin South East. Despite being booted out twice and despite being a member of the government that brought us the worst crash of all time.
WTf?

wombat

Wasn't he elected three times in the past? If the people of Dublin South East want him, that is their choice.
They have a few rare ones at present. :)

making waves

neck - jockey - and a couple of dangling things - comes to mind

Dame_Enda

I would welcome such a development, especially at a time when our citizenship law is under attack from the Left and FF.

Dame_Enda

He has a history of win-lose-win-lose election cycles so he has a shot but Dublin SE has always been difficult territory for small parties and Independents. FG has sortof adopted a lot of PD economics which may undermine his appeal.

wombat

Last elected to the Dail in 2002.

Yesterday’s man anyone?
You would think so but he managed to get himself elected to the rest home so he can't be underestimated.

hiding behind a poster

I hear he is thinking of running again in Dublin South East. Despite being booted out twice and despite being a member of the government that brought us the worst crash of all time.
WTf?
Well failing to get elected doesn't compromise anyone's right to run for election again, as I'm sure you'll agree. But now that he is talking about running, perhaps the herd here and elsewhere will start to see his cynical misuse of Oireachtas privilege regarding the Maria Bailey case in its proper light. McDowell is no have-a-go crusader for justice - as one of the most senior legal people in the State, had any other Senator done what he did in any case he was involved with, he'd be first up to the bench to say the case had been prejudiced.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'the' McDowell? Is this fellow supposed to be some sort of chieftain or something?

Like 'The O'Donnell' or 'The O'Neill'.

I had heard he was some sort of lawyer. At best that would make him some sort of advisor or factor to a chieftain. Not exactly so far down the table as to be placed among the youths and have to fight dogs for the better cuts.

He would be unlikely to be on the same level as family of the chieftain. Neither right nor left. Probably close enough on the table leading down the hall that the chieftain was able to keep an eye on him.

Yes. That'd be about right. I despair sometimes when I hear of McDowell as some kind of leading intellectual. Sorry but I don't think he is any kind of political messiah.

No Keith Joseph to Maggie Thatcher. But maybe being a bit kinder it may be a cause of having the Keith O'Joseph but lacking the necessary Thatcher.

dunno

There isn't really space for a PD party these days, The FG-FF borg can morph a bit if people feel a bit too over-taxed and under served by the state. There could be a sort of role as a sort of posh, well spoken independent, and not as much as an empty suit / vessel as Shane Ross.

riker1969

I think he is jealous of Shane Ross. The fact that he got into the senate via trinity is a big argument for abolishing the place. Reform will never happen.
It's too bad that all office holders 2002-7 were not banned. Its incredible how the electorate forget.

riker1969

Shane Ross gets constantly attacked by Fg press. Part of the reason is his attack on the legal profession.
The press fail to highlight he is doing a decent enough job running his department.

wombat

Shane Ross gets constantly attacked by Fg press. Part of the reason is his attack on the legal profession.
The press fail to highlight he is doing a decent enough job running his department.
Not sure who the FG press are but anyone who attacks the legal cartel can expect to be attacked at every opportunity. The problem with Ross is he doesn't want to do the mundane work that being in charge of a department entails.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies