Return of the McDowell

Orbit v2

Ross has shown that even in the well to do areas of the East, what most voters want is a locally focused, clientilist, messenger boy. Doubtless after his "success" in torpedoing the provision of good public transport to the outer reaches of South Dublin, McDowell has been encouraged by many of the voters of Ranelagh and surrounding areas, who are doing quite fine as it is, and want someone with the same outlook to represent them.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mm. I recall our proto-m'luds making very serious points about the separation of the judiciary within a democracy.

I couldn't help noticing though that when pay restraint in the austerity policies was suggested for judges as well as the Plain People of Ireland the Chief Justice was in Enda Kenny's office pleading for a special exemption for judges faster than a Hollywood producer on a starlet.

wombat

McDowell has been encouraged by many of the voters of Ranelagh and surrounding areas, who are doing quite fine as it is, and want someone with the same outlook to represent them.
I think they are exactly who McDowell appeals to, the mé féiners.

Degeneration X

I hear he is thinking of running again in Dublin South East. Despite being booted out twice and despite being a member of the government that brought us the worst crash of all time.
WTf?
Even if McFool fails he'll back into the Seanad - he's like a Turd in the lavatory of the Irish body politic that just won't flush.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Turdberg: The blocked pipe of Irish democracy'. Not a bad title for a buke... although there might be some faint coughs and splutters if it ended up on a curriculum.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Long suspected that Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour down the years have used the District Court benches as an escape valve when they have a local stalwart agitating for an electoral slot who is too mad to put before the voters.

General Urko

I hear he is thinking of running again in Dublin South East. Despite being booted out twice and despite being a member of the government that brought us the worst crash of all time.
WTf?
God loves a tryer, may be Biffo will try again also!

General Urko

Long suspected that Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour down the years have used the District Court benches as an escape valve when they have a local stalwart agitating for an electoral slot who is too mad to put before the voters.
A lot of their crazies and assorted gobshyzas still made the electoral cut though!

Greener

“Legal Cartel”. That ridiculous claim. Please repeat... “the concept of an Irish legal cartel is a myth”.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
King's Inn itself alone and its place in pre Independence and post Independence influence in the state is worthy of a historical documentary.

'Political barrister' is right up there with recent classics such as 'Chief Imagineer' and other equally heinous developments in modern language.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Dad?'

'Yes?'

'When I grow up I want to be a political barrister.'

'Well, you can begin your training now and present yourself as a suitable person at King's Inn after you've cleaned your room'.

Political barrister has to be a very unfortunate collision of terms. It is really only an accidental profession. I doubt many kids in school ever asked a career guidance teacher about openings for political barristers.

There's no college for Lollipop Ladies either but at least they are as a profession visible and useful.

riker1969

My sincere hope is that he does run and and is defeated. If only the muppet electorate had voted to abolish senate we could then be totally rid of him. For ever

bang bang

You would think so but he managed to get himself elected to the rest home so he can't be underestimated.
We had our chance to shut down the rest home, we didn't take it and even now I still can't quite believe it.

wombat

We had our chance to shut down the rest home, we didn't take it and even now I still can't quite believe it.
Its what happens when people can't be ar5ed to vote.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Can we not have a referendum to abolish King's Inn instead? We could overhaul and update the legal profession and its regulatory structures from SC judges down to the snapping loons of the district court benches and even solicitors.

Greener

Can we not have a referendum to abolish King's Inn instead? We could overhaul and update the legal profession and its regulatory structures from SC judges down.
On the first issue of a referendum. No we can’t. And that’s not an opinion. That’s a basic fact.

Second, I suspect you have no ideas beyond your call for reform. You have a few basic words and that’s it.

DJP

I'll never forget Pat Rabbitte's accurate description of Michael McDowell on an RTÉ Prime Time debate for the 07 GE- "Michael is like a menopausal Paris Hilton" politically.

I found the post-Dessie O'Malley brand of PD politics disgusting.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
On the first issue of a referendum. No we can’t. And that’s not an opinion. That’s a basic fact.

Second, I suspect you have no ideas beyond your call for reform. You have a few basic words and that’s it.
Oh yes, I was quite forgetting.King's Inn are one of those apparently untouchable institutions. Suggested reform in this area did come up on the Oireachtas record in the early noughties and Ahern ran like hell away from it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wonder are they still offering 'suitable' persons the award of a conferral of 'Barrister' to anyone with an MA who can attend evening debating classes once a week for a while.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies