Returning to Ireland

Innocent Bystander

Having been an expatriate for more than two decades, and in two continents, I am pondering a return to Ireland.

Opinions are polarised among Irish expatriates as to whether this might be a good move... so I am looking for some balanced feedback and wondering what fellow Politics.ie members have experienced or witnessed in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

Dame_Enda

[video=youtube;aeeJhEpeUfc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeeJhEpeUfc[/video]

ScoobyDoo

Having been an expatriate for more than two decades, and in two continents, I am pondering a return to Ireland.

Opinions are polarised among Irish expatriates as to whether this might be a good move... so I am looking for some balanced feedback and wondering what fellow Politics.ie members have experienced or witnessed in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

Depends where you are living now imo

gerhard dengler

Many thanks in advance!
It would help to have a bit more context.

What is motivating you to move back here? And where are you moving back from to here?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
There is a lot to weigh up, don't let your heart rule your head on this one. As was said above it all depends on where you lived before and how much you are willing to keep forking out to live in a country with no umbrella. We just had three weeks of sun...so the other 49 you will save a fortune on suncream.

It's a costly place to have the craic. Are you looking at rural or urban?

Buchaill Dana

Context..? Back to retire on a farm? Working in a bank or tech and want a city center life?

Lagertha

I think it depends on your circumstances. If you have enough money to live comfortably you can be happy almost anywhere. In practical terms housing, whether buying or renting property is extremely expensive, Social housing seems almost impossible to get. The official numbers waiting for to be seen in the HSE as public patients is over 700k. I'm a returned ex pat and to be honest, if I could get out of here tomorrow I would. That's me though and you have to make your own decisions on what's best for you.

Trainwreck

Many thanks in advance!
Wherever you happen to be living at the moment, go to the dodgiest part of town, drop your trousers, and bend over.

If you enjoy the experience, come on home. If not, stay put.

Levellers

First thing you need to obtain is a Personal Public Service (PPS) number. Without that you can't access anything.

D

Deleted member 17573

If you are happy and contented where you are, don't risk that for a move that might at best make you equally happy, but might just as easily destroy your happiness. And if you have children between say 12 and 20 don't even think about moving.

Betson

Depends , are you likely to be one of those in insufferable's in conversations that keep referring to when you were over in X and how they do everything much better there , no matter what the subject , 'well over in ...' , if you are then probably best for you and us stay to where you are. If not then you are more than welcome back.

Have you a job lined up?

CookieMonster

Many thanks in advance!
It would depend entirely on where you are returning from and why you wish to return.

Gin Soaked

Totally depends on where you are moving from and where you are moving to. And whether you are happy or unhappy where you are now.

If you can afford, or are inheriting a gaff in a reasonable part of Dublin, and have a decent job, there is a lot to recommend the place. Expect to be ridden on car insurance though for a few years. And get registered with VHI ( or similar) within a few months to avoid the lifetime community rating. (If you are over 34 it is 2% per year).

If you have kids, remember school places are hard to get so you may end up going private.

Analyzer

Presumably, you are returning to a specific location, where you grew up.

Don't expect things to be the same as they were in the 1990s.

Drugs, crime, vandalism, corruption, and the cost of living are much worse.

On the bright side, the infrastructure is much better now, thanks to technology. I hnoestly don't know how we managed in the era before the internet.

Man or Mouse

I think it depends on your circumstances. If you have enough money to live comfortably you can be happy almost anywhere. In practical terms housing, whether buying or renting property is extremely expensive, Social housing seems almost impossible to get. The official numbers waiting for to be seen in the HSE as public patients is over 700k. I'm a returned ex pat and to be honest, if I could get out of here tomorrow I would. That's me though and you have to make your own decisions on what's best for you.
I'd join you in that last sentiment and am also a returned ex pat. Anywhere I lived, social housing wasn't a runner, neither was social medicine, so, those things meant nothing to me and still don't. I do think the kids benefited, as in spite of what many whingers say on here, education is still pretty affordable and of good standard. As a result of that education, they got good jobs and are now better positioned for life than I ever was. The cost of living is still high though and, I'm saying that as an empty nester with house paid for. Unfortunately, as it is not in a town or city, two cars seem to be necessary still. Perhaps that'll work down to one in time. The weather is awful, with last winter being the most interminable I have experienced. Only for the couple of weeks in the Canaries we'd be perished. Maybe that's an ageing thing though. Definitely, if I can persuade the other half, it's warmer climes for me. Working hard on it.

Factchecker

Many thanks in advance!
Unless you got 2 million euro in your back pocket, do NOT do it.

New Threads

Most Replies