• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Revamped Irish Times Website

Maximilian

The Irish Times have revamped their website: Breaking News | Irish & International Headlines | The Irish Times
What do you all think? It looks like a bit of a confused jumble to me - poorly laid out. The title text seems oddly small to me.
Additionally, I understand that the introduction of the new website coincides with a new data management system being implemented at the Times, whereby, amongst other innovations, when articles are sub-edited they are simultaneously uploaded to the website.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Will be avoiding it.

Their cheerleading of the property binge that resulted in the bankruptcy of this country, revealed them to be completely compromised.

Cheerleading the cause of the gombeen interests calling bthe shots in this country.

Let them keep up these stunts.

Does Dan McLaughlin still write for them ?

Maximilian

Will be avoiding it.

Their cheerleading of the property binge that resulted in the bankruptcy of this country, revealed them to be completely compromised.

Cheerleading the cause of the gombeen interests calling bthe shots in this country.

Let them keep up these stunts.

Does Dan McLaughlin still write for them ?
All of those points refer to the content of the Irish Times. This thread concerns the new layout of the website.

controller

Why....why...why........I cannot find Generation Emigration. Where the hell is it??? Anybody??

eyelight

Yuck ! That's awful.
Like the dumbed down BBC website, compromised for the sake of viewing on tablets.

Looks really tabloid-y.

They couldn't decide what colour to make that bar across the top, so they made it all colours.

Horrible disjointed mess.

ruserious

Looks terrible. Not befitting the 'paper of record'.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Awful on my phone.

Would like to hear the story of 'why' they did that.

Sibelius

I don't like it. It's cluttered and there are too many sub-menus.

My old routine was a quick scroll through the front page, a quick scroll through the Irish news section and a quick look thought the letters and opinion pieces. The new format makes it more arduous to do that and the quality of the paper isn't good enough to justify a slow and thorough browse everyday.

Thumbs down.

Sync

All of those points refer to the content of the Irish Times. This thread concerns the new layout of the website.
Analyzer's just a bot set up to make ad hominem attacks which are triggered by key words. It doesn't actually read anything.

Don't like the new site. It's like they saw the poor job the Indo did with theirs and asked themselves: How can we make that a little bit worse? Too cluttered. The last site was actually perfect.

ruserious

Analyzer's just a bot set up to make ad hominem attacks which are triggered by key words. It doesn't actually read anything.
Bit unfair imo to broadcast your views like that on a particular poster when you have the means of banning him.

dunno

The content is relevant to the design. The old design gave a good deal of prominence to the property section and its puff pieces for the property industry.

Anyhow.

One noticeable thing is how low on content the front page has become. A person has to work harder to get the information they want. It annoys me a bit.

Sync

Bit unfair imo to broadcast your views like that on a particular poster when you have the means of banning him.
I don't think being boring is against the board rules unless something's changed.

ruserious

Crap mod.
She's not the worst. She is generally fair but I think that attack on Analyzer can leave her open to allegations of not following due process if Analyser was ever banned.

Play the ball, not the man.

Stroke

Awful. Like something a team of TY students would lay out after doing a short course in web design....

redhead

Whatever about the style of it, it's slow to load and keeps crashing but I guess it explains the missing articles and zero response to queries in the last few weeks.

ruserious

The thing is, the new design does not make their articles look reputable.

gijoe

Presumably David Cochrane himself has his fingers all over this with his job there. I'll give it a few days to get a feel for it. The previous format was no great shakes in fairness.

ruserious

Presumably David Cochrane himself has his fingers all over this with his job there. I'll give it a few days to get a feel for it. The previous format was no great shakes in fairness.

It's almost like P.ie set up in a way. Just has an added dating feature. Which makes me think...:shock:

Popular Threads

Most Replies