Revenge Is Pointless.

bactrian

Politics.ie is polluted with immature rantings of "We Hate Fianna Fail", "Let's do Fianna Fail down" , "We need Fianna Fail Heads on Stakes" and a general sentiment that whatever Fianna Fail has done, is doing or intends to do is wrong. Attendant to this attitude is the notion that , at what ever cost , we must revenge ourselves on Fianna Fail.

Without commenting on the present or future , Fianna Fail has done some serious wrong!

Most of us are familiar with the Sicilian adage "Revenge is best served cold". In the spirit of that wisdom I might be expected to advise that we all await an opportunity to plunge our knives into the Fianna Fail party, but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

"When you go for revenge , dig two graves. "

This latter saying reflects the wisdom of experience.

There is a saying (I think, Chinese) which goes "The best Revenge is a good life" . This is the philosophy which we should espouse. We need to focus on success and fixing the problems. We need to look at our present situation and to focus on the future. We need to plan for a better future . We should learn lessons from our past but we must look to our future. We cannot influence our past , but we can make our future.

I am not suggesting that all of those who got us into this awful economic mess should be given a "free pass". A by-product of securing our future will be a reckoning with some (unfortunately not all ) of those who got us here.

We will be much better swimming out of this economic mess than being drowned in a frenzy of revenge!

olamp

Hope you have a lifejacket ,arm bands and a rubber ring.

Tough Paddy

Politics.ie is polluted with immature rantings of "We Hate Fianna Fail", "Let's do Fianna Fail down" , "We need Fianna Fail Heads on Stakes" and a general sentiment that whatever Fianna Fail has done, is doing or intends to do is wrong. Attendant to this attitude is the notion that , at what ever cost , we must revenge ourselves on Fianna Fail.

Without commenting on the present or future , Fianna Fail has done some serious wrong!

Most of us are familiar with the Sicilian adage "Revenge is best served cold". In the spirit of that wisdom I might be expected to advise that we all await an opportunity to plunge our knives into the Fianna Fail party, but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

There is a saying (I think, Chinese) which goes "The best Revenge is a good life" . This is the philosophy which we should espouse. We need to focus on success and fixing the problems. We need to look at our present situation and to focus on the future. We need to plan for a better future . We should learn lessons from our past but we must look to our future. We cannot influence our past , but we can make our future.

I am not suggesting that all of those who got us into this awful economic mess should be given a "free pass". A by-product of securing our future will be a reckoning with some (unfortunately not all ) of those who got us here.

We will be much better swimming out of this economic mess than being drowned in a frenzy of revenge!
You've quite clearly been watching too much Oprah Winfrey! :D

Cael

but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

And those good old Sicilians knew what they were talking about - let's dig two graves: one for Fianna Fáil, who's slavish gombeenism betrayed the Irish people, and one for Fine Gael, who's slavish silence and complicity betrayed the Irish people.

Asparagus

There is a mistake in your logic - it is not out of vengance that we want Fianna Fail to fall, it is out of necessity.

They are a cancer on our society and a heart attack in our economy.
Its time we had them removed from out vital organ of government.

Joopface

I'm with you on the ranting. Every thread on almost any topic recently, and the first three responses will be one- or two-liners, adding nothing to the issue, and just throwing out the same old angry catchphrases. Which does get annoying.

There is however a saying (Latvian maybe, or Castlebar-ian. Potentially Finnish) "In most normal countries where things have been 1. so entirely dominated by a single party for the history of the state and 2. so monumentally shoved off the rails, that dominant party will suffer at the polls". It's not as catchy as yours.

It's not a question of revenge. FF may well be (and should be) destroyed at the next election. I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be, but that's beside the point. If they are, it will be because the electorate want different people making decisions. Secondly, anyone who acted illegally as part of the great corporate and political love-in off the last ten years should be prosecuted and sentenced to the full extent of the law.

That's not revenge, it's how normal countries work. Hopefully we manage to do the same.

ibis

Stand by for your condemnation as a traitor and FF quisling.

Iarmhi Gael

Another Scillian proverb is this one and probably my most favorite - Cui nun voli pagari, s'assuggetta ad ogni pattu, which mean "Who doesn't intend to pay, signs any contract"

Looks to me as if FF are signing up to everything and will not be around in 2 years to pay for their damage. A fool listens to no-one but themselves. Many have called this fiasco over the decade and still our rulers do not listens or even accept some form of advice

Tough Paddy

And those good old Sicilians knew what they were talking about - let's dig two graves: one for Fianna Fáil, who's slavish gombeenism betrayed the Irish people, and one for Fine Gael, who's slavish silence and complicity betrayed the Irish people.
May I suggest you move to china, you should feel at home there!

Mushroom

And why not blame the Peruvians while you're at it? I mean, let's face it, those bloody Peruvians are every bit as much to blame for the current state of our nation as Fine Gael are.

Boycott Peru!

sport02

If we descimate FF in the next general election I would see it as "revenge is sweet"

RahenyFG

Truth is while people talk about revenge on Fianna Fail and cursing 'Fianna Fail this Fianna Fail that', Fianna Fail won't be pushed hard enough in the next election. The Irish people have been fools to Fianna Fail since 1932 and many times they have got away with murder. At the moment according to the Irish Times, a quarter of the electorate intend to vote for them in the next election probably meaning they will end up on 50 seats roughly. Irish people with regard to politics have never put actions into the ballot box, we need to do it in the next election and give Fianna Fail a stinging defeat of the kind witnessed on the Tories in the UK election of 1997, FF have it coming!

Cael

And why not blame the Peruvians while you're at it? I mean, let's face it, those bloody Peruvians are every bit as much to blame for the current state of our nation as Fine Gael are.

Boycott Peru!
Enda Kenny sat across the table from Bertie in the last general election leaders debate. The Peruvians didnt. Did Enda warn the people of what was going on? Did he challenge Bertie about putting policies in place that were sucking all the capital out of Irish industry and pouring it into a super heated land bubble? No, of course he didnt. Like a traitor, he kept his mouth shut, and went rabbiting on about garda numbers in Templemore and other minor considerations. Fine Gael betrayed the Irish people by their complicit silence, just as much as Fianna Fail did with their criminal gombeenism.

turdsl

It is not revenge, just admit the harm and disgrace they have caused our country and its people. call an election now, Then the healing can begin, not before then.

splashy

Revenge, in some cases, can be a matter of self-protection against a future threat. If the Irish electorate don't stamp the boot on the neck of FF now, FF's poisonous and traitorous behaviour will continue to pollute Irish politics: Ireland unfree of FF shall never be at peace.

Cael

The Irish people have been fools to Fianna Fail since 1932 and many times they have got away with murder.
The plain fact is that FF policies do suit the pathological greed and privilege of about 20% of the population. Those policies are, of course, a disaster for everyone else.

Hewson

There may be noble intent in there somewhere and I've argued along similar lines myself elsewhere, but without what seems to be a departing blessing to the FF party.

It's like this: Let's say you ran a business where you put in every hour God sent to build it up, make it profitable and have something you could be proud to call your own at the end of your life. But one day you discovered that the manager you had put in charge to run it day-to-day had been embezzling money, lying about his expenses, writing up misleading progress reports and selling Company secrets to his friends, the competitors, for a kickback, do you think you might feel, well . . . let down, to put it mildly?

This is how I see the larger party in the current Government. You may abhor the venom that's spewed out on this site against Fianna Fail, but I've read none that isn't justified or rooted in a genuine feeling of betrayal. Because that's the greatest sin of all that FF has been found guilty of: treason.

There are probably little more than 100 people in this country who are directly responsible for the economic and financial calamity that is sweeping us into at least ten years of severe pain. They are politicians, property developers, bankers and investors. A small coterie of little men, and women, who have prostituted the future of every soul on this island in pursuit of more wealth. Most of them were obscenely wealthy already but, like drug-addicted junkies, always had to have more. They gambled the economic and financial wealth of the country on a three-legged nag, lost it all and have now sent the bill to us.

So when you read posters venting their spleen on the maggots who brought us to where we are – and we're still not sure where we are – remember that they do so because there's a huge injustice at the root of their anger. An injustice that is not being attended to, just ignored.

RahenyFG

The plain fact is that FF policies do suit the pathological greed and privilege of about 20% of the population. Those policies are, of course, a disaster for everyone else.
Fianna Fail is just play the centrist card and do whatever it can to do hold onto power. Since they accepted coalition government in 1989, they've become even more centrist.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies