Revenue scam

RasherHash

I got an official looking email from the revenue asking me my details so tax returns can be sent (tax returns? That sounds like a nice idea...).

Irish Tax & Customs - Return Tax
E-mail from Revenue Office: Irish Tax & Customs - Return Tax
09:26
Revenue Office
To axxxxor@hotmail.com
Dear Taxpayer
We wish to inform you that as of June 30 you are no longer eligible to receive a Tax Return. The reason being the expiration of your current information regarding the method by which you receive your Tax Returns. To alleviate this problem you must renew this information by filling out and submiting this form

Until you complete this process you will not be able to receive any Tax Return. Please note: Submitting invalid records can lead to the inability to receive Tax Returns for a period of 6 months.

Please submit the Tax Return Information Update Form and allow us 6-9 days in order to process it.

Thank you.
It liked to a questionnaire asking for ...my credit card details, security code and all if you please.

IN THIS SECTION
PAYE Employee
Persons with a Disability
Change in Circumstances
Personal Credits
Personal Reliefs & Exemptions
Buying & Selling
Tax Refunds
Secure Email
Charities
Popular Forms
Making a Disclosure
Special Investigations
It is now time to file your latest VAT3 return
Select your Bank below
Please confirm the Credit/Debit Card on which you will receive your Tax return payments.

Full Name :

(exactly as it appears on the card in upper case: E.G. MR ALAN B SMITH)
Credit/Debit Card Number:

Card Verification Number:

3-Digit Card Security Code
Card Expiration Date:

-

(mm / yyyy)
Date of birth:
-
-

(mm / dd / yy)
First 4 digits of your current account number:

Street or area you lived when you were 10 :

Mother`s Maiden Name :

Verified by Visa / MasterCard Secure Password :

(If you don't have one type NONE)
Submit
I sent the revenue an email asking about this and this is their reply...

Warning: Latest email and SMS (text message) scam
This week the Revenue Commissioners have become aware of fraudulent emails and SMS (text messages) purporting to come from Revenue seeking personal information from taxpayers in connection with a tax refund or seeking credit/debit card details.
These emails and text messages did not issue from Revenue.
The Revenue Commissioners never send emails or text messages requiring customers to send personal information via email, text or pop-up windows.
Anyone who receives an email or text message purporting to be from Revenue and suspects it to be fraudulent or a scam should simply delete it. Anyone who is actually awaiting a tax refund should contact their local Revenue Office to check its status.
Anyone who provided personal information in response to these fraudulent emails or text messages should contact their bank or credit card company immediately.
Please see our security page for further information.
petunia

PBP voter

It never happened.

How would they have got your email address?

Mitsui2

It never happened.

How would they have got your email address?
Who's "they"?

I've had three of these mails since last week. They're pretty amateurish-looking phishing attempts.

Rashers was very gullible even to follow the link.

(But then Rashers' gullibility is hardly a surprise!)

stopdoingstuff

I regularly get stung by a massive tax scam whereby Revenue confiscates almost 50% of my income.

Last edited:

loner

I regularly get stung by a massive tax scam whereby Revenue confiscate almost 50% of my income.
I regularly get these emails too and just zap them--they come in various forms--promisin refunds or threatening dire consequences if you do not submit your return etc--best to ignore them.

PBP voter

I regularly get these emails too and just zap them--they come in various forms--promisin refunds or threatening dire consequences if you do not submit your return etc--best to ignore them.
It's funny how Rashers go one being a Yank(He is a member of 4chan like another few on the site eg Tadhg Gaelach who come to spread their alt-right message-they pretend they are Irish and support what they think are populist causes on the site).

Either is is just trying to fit in by claiming this or they are able to target people who visit Irish sites.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
NIGERIAN MAN DIES - Unable to give away billions because people thought it was a scam.
The man known locally as a reclusive oil billionaire started his philanthropic venture in 2012 after been diagnosed with terminal cancer. More at: Home - Vanguard News

[/IMG]

gijoe

And then you wonder why you were named in the press on the tax defaulters list! :)

T

Toowoomba

NIGERIAN MAN DIES - Unable to give away billions because people thought it was a scam.
The man known locally as a reclusive oil billionaire started his philanthropic venture in 2012 after been diagnosed with terminal cancer. More at: Home - Vanguard News

[/IMG]

1 Nigerian Naira equals
0.0032 US Dollar

Good for lighting fires.........Na-IRA, what a name :D

publicrealm

I got an official looking email from the revenue asking me my details so tax returns can be sent (tax returns? That sounds like a nice idea...).

It liked to a questionnaire asking for ...my credit card details, security code and all if you please.

I sent the revenue an email asking about this and this is their reply...

petunia
Gotta be those joos - we must finally find a solution....

silverharp

the US version is funny, mostly originating from Pakistan, they ring saying they are from the IRS and the mark is to go to a store and buy an I-tunes card and top it up, and I assume give the details over the phone. How people fall for it is funny, like the IRS would want to be paid in gift cards.
there are some good youtube videos where people waste their time

damus

Hardly official with an email address of Revenue Office#<sales@elcosinteredalloys.com>;. This is what the one that I got today had to say - didn't even bother clicking on the link.

Subject: Irish Tax & Customs - Return Tax!

Dear Taxpayer
We wish to inform you that as of June 30 you are no longer eligible to receive a Tax Return. The reason being the expiration of your current information regarding the method by which you receive your Tax Returns. To alleviate this problem you must renew this information by filling out and submiting this form

Until you complete this process you will not be able to receive any Tax Return. Please note: Submitting invalid records can lead to the inability to receive Tax Returns for a period of 6 months.

Please submit the Tax Return Information Update Form and allow us 6-9 days in order to process it.

Thank you.

EoinMag

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies