'Reverend' Al Sharpton receives James Joyce Award

Cruimh

I don't usually have a lot of time for Niall O'Dowd, but he is right to object to this

Al Sharpton honored with James Joyce award - No, not a sick joke

It was shocking to see University College Dublin’s Literary and Historical Society present their James Joyce award to Al Sharpton.

Al Sharpton?

Not mentioned anywhere in the citation was Sharpton's role in the Tawana Brawley case, during which he defamed and destroyed utterly innocent men over a rape that never happened.

Nor were Sharpton’s former ties to the mob nor his role as an informer brought up, which is really no surprise.

Sharpton joined a prestigious list of other honorees that includes Nobel Prize-winners anti-apartheid campaigner Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Irish politician John Hume and poet Seamus Heaney. I have no doubt those three great men would be disgusted at the company they are now keeping with the award.
God knows what was behind this decision by these UCD Students - it seems student politics is just as woolly and dim as when I was young and we had right-on tossers like Jack Straw and Peter Hain .... For myself I'd raise the voting franchise age to 25.

Analyzer

James Joyce is probably Ireland's most over-rated literary figure.

Al Sharpton's has made a career out of nothing but spite and pretension.

They are made for each other.

GDPR

What is the big deal?

Actually I think it is a big deal that they have a reward named after that scumbag James Joyce. It is very sinister the way that Fine Gael types in the ROI promote that nihilist when the place has had much better writers.

blinding

Its amazing what some black people can get away while others can’t catch a break .

Your Social Justice Performers will enjoy big-ing up this particular black person whether he deserves it or not .

Analyzer

Belfield has

The Suds centre for Law ( presumably no mention there of his Tribunal appearance )
The Smurfit Business School ( presumably no mention of tax residency or other didgy episodes )
&

The greatest joke of all.....

The Denis O'Brien Centre for Science ( well I suppose a Denis O'Brien centre for taxation studies would be pushing it ). Even though DOB never got a degree in Science.

Belfield is a joke.

Expect events like that described in the OP.

A Voice

UCD kids gettin' down with the homies and showin' that they DIG it, brother. Power!

Mitsui2

What is the big deal?

Actually I think it is a big deal that they have a reward named after that scumbag James Joyce. It is very sinister the way that Fine Gael types in the ROI promote that nihilist when the place has had much better writers.
:)

GDPR

Al Sharpton has had the guts to cross swords with Organized Jewry and Zionism which in the United States takes immense courage. That should not be forgotten.

gijoe

Al Sharpton is nothing but a career race baiter and he gets an award for it?

Betson

UCD kids gettin' down with the homies and showin' that they DIG it, brother. Power!
That is exactly what it is about , anyone who spent a few minutes looking up Sharpton's record over the years would run a mile from him.

But this gives them 'street cred' and is all the rage now among the PC set.

gijoe

Al Sharpton has had the guts to cross swords with Organized Jewry and Zionism which in the United States takes immense courage. That should not be forgotten.
Oh that explains it all then - he's on the 'right' side of the whole Israel/Palestine thingy so all else is forgiven!!

blinding

Its a bit like the Old Days when the correctly connected People got these kind of thing and any embarrassing stuff was brushed over .

Now its the Politically correct person that get this sort of thing and any embarrassing stuff is brushed over .

The more things change the more they remain the same .

Analyzer

It will not be forgotten. His pronouncements are yet another indication that Sharpton is a rabble rousing clown.

blokesbloke

What is the big deal?

Was James Joyce moral trash, Ratio?

If so, we he more or less trashy than me?

It's just I like to know my place on the hierachy - I may have fallen from Person of Quality to Moral Trash, but I assume there are levels of trash?

blokesbloke

;) Does he leave the Disorganized Jewry alone so?

New Threads

Most Replies