• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Review of T.D.'s expenses to be reviewed by the Dail Public Accounts Committee (PAC).

controller

RADICAL reductions and changes to politicians' expenses are proposed in an internal report being considered by TDs. To save you reading this funny article, I though that I'd share with you the key phrases:

• it recommends
• is concerned
• It is the committee's view
• It says the majority of public sector allowances are core pay
• An independent review of all political expenses.

Expect to hear the phrase "Constitutional Issues"

Radical cuts to expenses on cards for TDs, senators - National News - Independent.ie

emulator

RADICAL reductions and changes to politicians' expenses are proposed in an internal report being considered by TDs. To save you reading this funny article, I though that I'd share with you the key phrases:

• it recommends
• is concerned
• It is the committee's view
• It says the majority of public sector allowances are core pay
• An independent review of all political expenses.

Expect to hear the phrase "Constitutional Issues"

Radical cuts to expenses on cards for TDs, senators - National News - Independent.ie
Pre budget horseshíte. That shower of bastárds shouldn't be allowed decide anything, let alone anything to do with their own money. They're not fit for purpose....

Sync

It says all expenses should be receipted, Independents should be stripped of their €40,000 leader's allowance and extra payments to some deputies, such as whips, should be reduced or scrapped.
Which part of the above do you find unreasonable?

Howya

We keep hearing this reference to allowances and core pay - I wonder whether this is a tactic that in future the argument will be to include the allowances in the calculation of average life time earnings so that the civil servants can further gold plate their pensions?

controller

We keep hearing this reference to allowances and core pay - I wonder whether this is a tactic that in future the argument will be to include the allowances in the calculation of average life time earnings so that the civil servants can further gold plate their pensions?
I'd expect an argument along the lines of :

Cutbacks will apply to all new entrants i.e. all new T.D.'s and Senators, as present incumbents have an expectation.

See, as I read that, I can see just how stupid it seems and sounds, because such an idea could never ever happen in real life. Could it??

Ruff says Flaherty

Bout fooking time. Hopefully it will lead to a reduction in wages,expenses and pensions. The Bullsh1t levels cant be changed, and will ,unfortunately, remain high.

Sync

It won't happen, everybody knows that.......except you seemingly
I don't know if it will happen (and neither do you) but I'm smart enough to wait until the report is issued and the followup actions announced prior to making judgement.

I don't understand the mentality of someone who's ragging on a committee who have vocalised issues which should concern us all and come up with what seems to be a pretty good set of recommendations. Isn't this what you want? A fully accountable expenses system?If not then what DO you want and what do you think the first step towards that goal would be?

They've done their bit, it's now down to the govt to accept the recommendations and implement them.

controller

I don't know if it will happen (and neither do you) but I'm smart enough to wait until the report is issued and the followup actions announced prior to making judgement.

I don't understand the mentality of someone who's ragging on a committee who have vocalised issues which should concern us all and come up with what seems to be a pretty good set of recommendations. Isn't this what you want? A fully accountable expenses system?If not then what DO you want and what do you think the first step towards that goal would be?

They've done their bit, it's now down to the govt to accept the recommendations and implement them.

rll69

I suppose it is a start, but I will believe that they are serious when their suggestions are implemented for current TD's and Senators as well.

And on a completely different topic - is there any reason why Noonan cannot bring in a new tax of 95% on all state/semi state pensions of over €100,000 - apart from lacking the political will to do so.

Howya

I'd expect an argument along the lines of :

Cutbacks will apply to all new entrants i.e. all new T.D.'s and Senators, as present incumbents have an expectation.

See, as I read that, I can see just how stupid it seems and sounds, because such an idea could never ever happen in real life. Could it??
Stranger things have happened!

Blossie

I would LOVE to see the politicians pay drastically reduced and them being forced to live on the same planet as the rest of us. However I will believe it when I see it.

Mattarigna

As long as the Taoiseach and nearly all the rest of the politicians insist on maintaining wage levels and benefits well in excess of other Western European countries, I will find it difficult to take them seriously whenever they spout nonsense about "looking after the most vulnerable".

Mattarigna

Sync, that's what happens in quite a few other countries - it does not usually happen here, and there is little reason to believe that it can happen now.