Revised constituencies for next election - Joe Costello takes issue to High Court

Golden Phoenix

If there is a snap General Election the revisions to constituencies will not apply.

RTE reporting that Joe Costello has gone to the High Court seeking the revisions to apply for the next election - whenever that is.

Notachipanoaktree

If there is a snap General Election the revisions to constituencies will not apply.

RTE reporting that Joe Costello has gone to the High Court seeking the revisions to apply for the next election - whenever that is.
Joe been working hard manufacturing a majority, eh? No flies on that Joe? This fixer not gonna be left siting in the Park, again, eh?

statsman

It's not the role of the courts to tell the Dail how to conduct its business.

im axeled

looking for a bit of pre election publicity is joe, he probably thinks that the revivsed constituencys will give him an edge, next time out

Notachipanoaktree

We need to take out the old guard Labour Army council and set them with the roses. They're stinking up the place at this stage. Ye'll never get near the P&CS muck as long as they're wasting air.

Mushroom

"Mr Costello lost his seat in Dublin Central at the last election when it was reduced from a four seater to a three seater constituency. One of the Commission's recommendations was that the constituency should again be increased to four seats."
Fair dues to Joe C for putting the national interest ahead of shabby constituency matters. He is a true Statesman.

It is clear that a constituency with low calibre Deputies like the Cabra Fishwife, Paschal Nice Guy and Tony Gregory's former hairdresser is badly under-represented and needs whatever it is that Joe can offer.

The Field Marshal

It's not the role of the courts to tell the Dail how to conduct its business.
But it is.

[not that I agree with Costello who if found to be exploiting the courts for political gain should be forced to pay his own and the states costs should he lose]

Why do you wish to accord the Dail superior powers to the courts?
Our democracy rests upon the legal checks the courts can impose on the Dail.

statsman

It can be if they are doing it wrong.
They'd have to be able to prove that they aren't following proper procedure. In this case, I doubt it.

statsman

But it is.

[not that I agree with Costello who if found to be exploiting the courts for political gain should be forced to pay his own and the states costs should he lose]

Why do you wish to accord the Dail superior powers to the courts?
Our democracy rests upon the legal checks the courts can impose on the Dail.
The separation of powers means that each arm protects its powers carefully. It is not the role of the courts to make law, only to interpret it and rule on its constitutionality.

The Field Marshal

The separation of powers means that each arm protects its powers carefully. It is not the role of the courts to make law, only to interpret it and rule on its constitutionality.
And if the courts rule that the Dail has acted unconstitutionally , as they have done, then the business of the Dail is affected.

mangaire2

he would seem to have a valid case.........
yeah - Joe represented Dublin Central I think.
it's a 3 Seater & would I understand, become a 4 Seater after the revision,
so ol Joe reckons that Labour/Stickie "SF/IRA", on 3% or 6% or whatever, would have a better chance in a 4 Seater than in a 3 Seater;

"valid case" - my arse !!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies