• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rewarding Failure - Tommy Tiernan joins Pat Neary, Rody Molloy

Lefournier

T. Tiernan shocked us with his insane anti-semitic rant (or comedic disaster) at Electric Picnic. As I highlighted here, the real issue is why anyone was laughing at this horror-story.

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/104483-tommy-tiernan-anti-semitic-highlighting-anti-semitism-26.html

Of course, no-one in RTE should have been surprised. He gets them into hot water every time they bring him on.

http://www.politics.ie/media/39889-gerry-ryan-slapped-bcc-again.html

So how does RTE react to Tiernan latest and greatest fiasco?

They reward him with a one-hour Christmas special

RTÉ schedule stuffed with Christmas cheer - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 03, 2009

What could RTE possibly imagine will happen? Which aspect of Christmas will Tiernan transform with his incisive wit? The massacre of the innocents, perhaps? :mad:
Are we so shell shocked by child abuse, NAMA, FAS and all the rest that we will sit there at Christmas and take whatever Tiernan serves up to us?

OK, we can switch over to something interesting or amusing but what about that €160 I just paid RTE?

alonso

To compare a comedian to filth like Rody Molloy is frankly ridiculous. We were given no choice but to fund Molloy. you can turn Tiernan off and not buy his stuff. He is one of the couintry's most popular entertainers and RTE are well within their rights to show him. Had he been on the Beeb instead there'd be howls of derision as tens of thousands migrated over from RTE

dunno

Tommy Tiernan suffers from the problem of not really being funny, so all he can do is have recourse to the cheapest of shock tactics.

The Caped Cod

Is there room on this humourless, self rightious band wagan for one more :)

"Arrr! Hang 'im from a try cause he made a joke I didn't like/get"
Annie get your pitch fork.

But lets not forget that Roberto Benini fùcker who made the film La Vie est Belle in which he clearly makes light of the camps. Who's up for a protest?

Sync

No one should be allowed on RTE unless everyone agrees with them all the time. Bring back Leave It To Mrs O'Brien I say.

TradCat

The problem is the forced subscription fee. Tommy Tiernan will be funded by people who can't stand him but who will go to jail if they refuse to pay. That's the problem and we need to get rid of the whole concept.

Squib

The problem is the forced subscription fee. Tommy Tiernan will be funded by people who can't stand him but who will go to jail if they refuse to pay. That's the problem and we need to get rid of the whole concept.
Perhaps RTE should become "pay per view", then if the Irish public feel like watching gripping drama like Faircity then they can choose to pay. Also, the "stars" of RTE could then be paid an amount based on their viewership.

Lefournier

Thanks for actually reading my OP to its conclusion, TradCat, unlike Alonso. It's the licence fee and the concept of national broadcaster with a public service obligation that makes this decision not only unacceptable but a serious failure of public duty. I'd criticise TV3 if they did the same, but the remedy would be simply switching off.

RTE doesn't seem to care. They certainly don't care about their public service obligation as they have booked themselves another trip to the BCI with an entirely predictable and meaningless outcome.

Also, the key comparison I am making is not between Molloy and Tiernan, but between FAS and RTE i.e. rewarding failure. Indeed RTE are inviting further "failure" .

As for CapeCod comparing Tiernan's rant with Roberto Benini (sic) ....

Last edited:

alonso

Thanks for actually reading my OP to its conclusion, TradCat, unlike Alonso. It's the licence fee and the concept of national broadcaster with a public service obligation that makes this decision not only unacceptable but a serious failure of public duty. I'd criticise TV3 if they did the same, but the remedy would be simply switching off.

RTE doesn't seem to care. They certainly don't care about their public service obligation as they have booked themselves another trip to the BCI with an entirely predictable and meaningless outcome.

Also, the key comparison I am making is not between Molloy and Tiernan, but between FAS and RTE i.e. rewarding failure. Indeed RTE are inviting further "failure" .

As for CapeCod comparing Tiernan's rant with Roberto Benini (sic) ....
What's your point? That RTE should be strangled by faux outrage over something it shows just because it's paid for by the taxpayer? That's lunacy. Tiernan's show will be watched by thousands of his fans. More than will watch Nuacht, The Angelus, or tonight's offerings - The All Ireland Talent Show, A Little Bit Showband, Val Falvey, The Week in Politics, South Pacific, Dragon's Den Repeat, Deuce Bigalow.

All the while BBC retain Top Gear and Jonathan Ross, which are hugely popular shows that get them into regular trouble and stuff like the Thick of It in which people are regularly called c*nts and last week someone was labelled "a sack of cum" FFS!!!! Ooooh Points of View must've been inundated...

To ignore one of our most popular comedians because a few people find him offensive would be a serious dereliction of their public service duty.

(btw if you think his rant at EP was anti-semitic, then you either didn't see or read the entire piece or have very basic faculties of reason, understanding, logic and sense)

advertismo II

Perhaps RTE should become "pay per view", then if the Irish public feel like watching gripping drama like Faircity then they can choose to pay. Also, the "stars" of RTE could then be paid an amount based on their viewership.
Sadly, they are. But they've made a pig's ar'se of the ratio of budget/wages-to-popularity.

I'd like to see the idea of pay only for what you watch implemented, with an established amount of funding allocated to proper public service broadcasting, educational programming, etc.
I hate Tubridy. And Gerry Ryan.
They are insufferable c'unts.

Lefournier

What's your point? That RTE should be strangled by faux outrage over something it shows just because it's paid for by the taxpayer? That's lunacy. Tiernan's show will be watched by thousands of his fans.
You could be RTE's spokesperson, Alonso. TT goes around trying to be the most offensive badmouth around but those who react to his provocations are written off as "faux outrage". And of course, anything that gets better ratings than the Angelus, Nuacht or other rubbish is above criticism. Talk about self-justifications.:eek:

All the while BBC retain Top Gear and Jonathan Ross, which are hugely popular shows that get them into regular trouble
Thanks for the examples, Alonso. What a contrast RTE makes with the BBC which heavily fined its most successful personality for a gaffe that simply pales alongside TT's behaviour. And the BBC action was criticised as inadequate but here in Ireland it's rewards all round for egregious behaviour.

btw if you think his rant at EP was anti-semitic, then you either didn't see or read the entire piece or have very basic faculties of reason, understanding, logic and sense
You might care to read the earlier thread before passing judgement.

skev

Website
www.facebook.com
Lets check the ratings. If he gets a good rating then he deserved the one hour special and he might get another one. If he doesn't get a good rating then you won't see him again.

Personally I think RTE do a great job for 160 Euro. Great football, good new service, live rugby, Late Late show. They had the Sopranos before Channel 4. Live GAA, I don't like GAA but its our "national sport" and they do a great job covering it.

I would say for a tv station covering a country of 4 million they punch well above their weight. Is there any way of comparing them to the national broadcasters of similar sized countries?

And p.s. I think Tiernan is hilarious.

Lefournier

p.s. I think Tiernan is hilarious.
I asked everyone on the earlier threads who made this claim to give me one example. I'm still waiting. At the heart of my issue with TT's rant is the laughter he got. What were the audience laughing at when TT talking about killing millions of j*wc*nts?

On your broader point, the concept of public service broadcasting is that some programmes which have a social value would not be made by a commercial broadcaster. That does not apply to popular comedy. Instead, our licence fees are rewarding a comedian who hasn't been funny in years but he relentlessly seeks controversy at any cost (to others).

Why don't RTE offer this prime opportunity to truly talented comedians like Dylan Moran or Jason Byrne?

Sync

I think Tiernan's pretty awful usually, but he's hugely popular with viewers and audiences. Nothing wrong with putting him on RTE, just one more thing on the channel I won't watch.

TradCat

Personally I think RTE do a great job for 160 Euro. Great football, good new service, live rugby, Late Late show. They had the Sopranos before Channel 4. Live GAA, I don't like GAA but its our "national sport" and they do a great job covering it.
That's fine and if it was a subscription rather than a tax you would be happy to pay it no doubt. But those who don't agree with your assessment are forced to pay. That's the issue. If RTE was a subscription service they would eliminate the need for license inspections and would have to work a bit harder to keep their views and control their costs.

I don't agree that they provide a public service. They played no role in exposing the major scandals that rocked this country. They are the voice of the establishment and RTE only change when the establishment change.

They do provide sport but that would get covered anyway.

I asked everyone on the earlier threads who made this claim to give me one example. I'm still waiting. At the heart of my issue with TT's rant is the laughter he got. What were the audience laughing at when TT talking about killing millions of j*wc*nts?
South Park do it all the time,same for Family Guy,you seem to be focusing on just one aspect of TT's material.TT is no Bernard Manning.I wouldn't consider myself a TT fan but some of this material is funny,for example the gig he done in the states and the observations of Americans perceptions of the Irish and visa versa,or looking for the guy with one eye that he befriended when in lived in Africa.

On your broader point, the concept of public service broadcasting is that some programmes which have a social value would not be made by a commercial broadcaster. That does not apply to popular comedy. Instead, our licence fees are rewarding a comedian who hasn't been funny in years but he relentlessly seeks controversy at any cost (to others).
Seriously now the concept of RTE being a public broadcasting service is a joke,TT to some with be a breath of fresh air and might be considered a slight reward for the garbage we have been paying for,for years.I know somebody else mentioned said garbage but Fair City deserves another mention and of course the most irrelevant,pointless show on RTE "The View".

What about Katherine Lynch ? no matter what you think about TT,she is just not funny,her material is terrible,tired, overused, stereotypes with unfunny material and RTE gave her own show.RTE dropped the ball big time with Father Ted and have never recovered from it

Why don't RTE offer this prime opportunity to truly talented comedians like Dylan Moran or Jason Byrne?
I would love to see more Dylan Moran on TV,absolutely brilliant comedian.

Lefournier

South Park do it all the time,same for Family Guy,you seem to be focusing on just one aspect of TT's material.TT is no Bernard Manning.
South Park uses lots of foul language but they never did anything remotely like TT's anti-semitic rant.

I wouldn't consider myself a TT fan but some of this material is funny,for example the gig he done in the states and the observations of Americans perceptions of the Irish and visa versa,or looking for the guy with one eye that he befriended when in lived in Africa.
I found the Jokerman documentary of his US tour painful to watch. His material was simply not connecting with the wider US audience - and I kept wondering if Irish audiences simply had lower standards He did have some amusing us/them observations but nothing really original or memorable.

The Caped Cod

I sympathise with them..

sandar

the show will be watched bdceuawse it will be perceived as controversial, people like to laugh yes, and maybe tiernan wont deliver that, but they alsio like to be shocked or made indignant, to recat basically.
Thats what gets viewers, not pious nonsense

Lefournier

No-one has made the obvious reply to those who think we're trying to ban TT from RTE.

The proper response to TT's behaviour would have been to invite him on the LLS and invite Alan Shatter and others on to challenge his behaviour. I suspect TT would run a mile because he knows hs "comedic stage" defence is total BS. So instead his friends in RTE not only let him off the hook, they give him a nice big Christmas bonus.