Ridiculous Speed Limits

blokesbloke

PLEASE ask a mod to modify the title, OP.

It hurts.

EoinMag

EoinMag

Clanrickard

Civil servants make up the rules on speed when
clearly they have never visited the sites affected.
More from wacky Ireland...
They don't. Try and know what you are talking about.

blokesbloke

Ahhhhhhh that's better.

The world is at peace.

EoinMag

That was embarrassing!

Sorry, my phone has an autocomplete feature that got the better of me.

Sorry we all ridiculoused you so mercilessly.

irish_bob

local authorities set speed limits ( dont they ?)

their is a busy road out of galway where the speed limit is lower than the small secondary roads which feed off it , out by the now closed airport

they say a mother stepped out in front of a lorry several years ago while attempting to attend to her upset kids in the back of the car who she was driving to school

some do gooder councellors at the next meeting thought they better shake a leg and slapped a 50 kmh limit on what is a very busy road , its sinced been upped to 80 but the whole issue usually stems from nanny statist do gooder types like yer man who is regulary on the radio from AA roadwatch or reactionary idiot small town councellors

SPN

They don't.
They do.

Most speed limits are defaults based on what is written in the Road Traffic Act rather than on the condition of the roads themselves.

I know of one section of Motorway quality road that had a default limit of 50k (and a signed limit of 100k) because the Officials never bothered to do their homework.

I know of another section of road, maybe 10 miles or so, that was 80k in one direction and (signed) 60k in the other direction because the Officials weren't paying attention to what they were doing.

Try and know what you are talking about.
Olivia Mitchell raised this issue with Martin Cullen during the debates when the Act was going through the Oireachtas. It was obvious even before the Bill passed.

Clanrickard

They do.

Most speed limits are defaults based on what is written in the Road Traffic Act rather than on the condition of the roads themselves.

I know of one section of Motorway quality road that had a default limit of 50k (and a signed limit of 100k) because the Officials never bothered to do their homework.

I know of another section of road, maybe 10 miles or so, that was 80k in one direction and (signed) 60k in the other direction because the Officials weren't paying attention to what they were doing.

Olivia Mitchell raised this issue with Martin Cullen during the debates when the Act was going through the Oireachtas. It was obvious even before the Bill passed.
The above is half right. Yes the limits are laid down in the various Road Traffic Acts but that is legislation passed by the Dail. Since 2004 (I think) Local Authorities can set the limits different from the Acts where a road merits it. This is an engineering competence.

SPN

The above is half right.
The above is 100% right.

Yes the limits are laid down in the various Road Traffic Acts but that is legislation passed by the Dail.
The default limits, and the range of possible "special speed limits", are set down in the 2004 Act (later amended to add a 40km/h option, and to allow Dublin City Council to put 30k limits on N roads in Dublin City Centre).

The amendment also specified that the speed limit on the nearest sign takes precedence over the paper limit (which has backfired spectacularly in cases where the respective Councils were not paying proper attention).

Since 2004 (I think) Local Authorities can set the limits different from the Acts where a road merits it. This is an engineering competence.
Since 2004 Councillors have (nominal) control over the setting of speed limits (in accordance with certain rules and regulations), but it is the Officials who tend to make the decisions in reality. From my own experience, I would term it engineering incompetence in many cases. I know of one case where an Official refused to change a limit even when the Department of Transport told him he was interpreting the law incorrectly. The law was change immediately that Official retired (thousands of penalty points and fines later).