Ridiculous Speed Limits

Clanrickard

The above is 100% right.

The default limits, and the range of possible "special speed limits", are set down in the 2004 Act (later amended to add a 40km/h option, and to allow Dublin City Council to put 30k limits on N roads in Dublin City Centre).

The amendment also specified that the speed limit on the nearest sign takes precedence over the paper limit (which has backfired spectacularly in cases where the respective Councils were not paying proper attention).

Since 2004 Councillors have (nominal) control over the setting of speed limits (in accordance with certain rules and regulations), but it is the Officials who tend to make the decisions in reality. From my own experience, I would term it engineering incompetence in many cases. I know of one case where an Official refused to change a limit even when the Department of Transport told him he was interpreting the law incorrectly. The law was change immediately that Official retired (thousands of penalty points and fines later).
What you say is correct but you have contradicted your earlier statement. It isn't civil servants that nominate speed limits. It is a mixture of legislative and county council officials. I spoke to the Council here about this and they said their engineers take readings and measurements and on that basis they decide whether to change the limit or leave it as per the legislation.

SPN

What you say is correct but you have contradicted your earlier statement. It isn't civil servants that nominate speed limits. It is a mixture of legislative and county council officials. I spoke to the Council here about this and they said their engineers take readings and measurements and on that basis they decide whether to change the limit or leave it as per the legislation.

I love this bit "they said their engineers take readings and measurements".

The stories I could tell ..........

:D

Accidental sock

I preferred this thread when it had a typo in the title......just sayin'

SPN

Pabilito

Another one I pass daily to and from work is near Clonee Co. Meath. It’s new stretch of straight wide road between two small roundabouts (parallel to the new M3). It has a 60km/h limit, however about 20 metres in front of the roundabouts the speed limit rises to 80km/h.

Safe driving involves slowing down on the approach to a roundabout not speeding up!..

If you went around either of these roundabouts at 60km/h let alone 80km/h, your car would overturn and you'd end up in the ditch.

myksav

What make and model of speed gun are you using?
Actually, all you need is to know a distance and then time the traffic to get the speed of the traffic. It's been done for land speed records for decades.

myksav

Hey! :mad: Have you been sneaking pictures of the road past my house?

Oh wait, not enough potholes, not the road past my house, then.

myksav

And sometimes they just leave the potholes sort out the stupid from the careful.

Pabilito

So it’s a mess!.. meanwhile people are being killed on our roads and other are being fined and receiving penalty points for driving safely..

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Yes most of the time it's get the money. but on my boreen the limit is 80kph. But they say drive within the limit that suits the condition. There is an element of common sense. I\m not flaking my S-Klasse down a boreen.

SPN

So it’s a mess!.. meanwhile people are being killed on our roads and other are being fined and receiving penalty points for driving safely..
You can't beat having a good solicitor though.

Kerry spelling errors see speeding cases dismissed | Irish Examiner

A number of speeding summonses issued on foot of unpaid fixed penalty notices were dismissed at Tralee District Court yesterday because common placenames in Co Kerry were misspelled or in some cases could not be aligned to any existing place.

Ardillaun

There's mad ould Ireland, right there!

Mad feckers, the lot of ye.
I was going to post a similar one from Lissanearla but it's nowhere near as good as that.

We need a citizen army to send these mad pics to the relevant authorities in each district.

Ardillaun

To the digital barricades, comrades. Ireland needs to be remade from the ground up. Get your cellphones out to photograph and record every instance of unacceptable eejitry by officialdom on this mad little island.

GeneralTurgidson

But they say drive within the limit that suits the condition. There is an element of common sense. I\m not flaking my S-Klasse down a boreen.
Exactly (except for the S-class bit). Speed limits like that are clearly just indicating that it's a road where the default regional and local road limit of 80 Km/h has not been altered. It's not a target. A lot of secondary national roads with 100 km/h limits fall into the same category.

SPN

Exactly (except for the S-class bit). Speed limits like that are clearly just indicating that it's a road where the default regional and local road limit of 80 Km/h has not been altered. It's not a target. A lot of secondary national roads with 100 km/h limits fall into the same category.
I drove from Killarney to Kenmare recently. It's a National secondary road with a 100k limit.

There are a number of sections where two cars will have difficulty passing.

Lunacy.

Spirit Of Newgrange

a driving instructor told me it is often impossible to know the speed limit when driving about town because they virtually change every few hundred yards.

Add to this that my SatNav will tell me one speed limit while the road-signs will proudly announce a different speed and of course chaos ensues

GeneralTurgidson

a driving instructor told me it is often impossible to know the speed limit when driving about town because they virtually change every few hundred yards.

Add to this that my SatNav will tell me one speed limit while the road-signs will proudly announce a different speed and of course chaos ensues
Quite frankly that driving instructor does not sound very professional.

Ignore your Satnav for speed limits. I use mine as little as possible and generally memorise an unfamiliar route prior to driving as I see it as a dangerous distraction from the road. There is also increasing evidence that slavishly relying on it is detrimental to our sense of direction.

Focus on the road and obey the signs. Don't worry too much about getting done for speeding if the limit is not signposted. When in doubt bear in mind: National road 100 Km/h, Regional and Local roads 80 Km/h, Built up Areas 50 km/h, Special Limits (60 Km/h, 30 Km/h etc) are always signposted.

Around 90% of speed checks are on the approach to a built up area from a road with a high speed limit, whether that's a national road running through a town dropping from 100 Km/h to 50 Km/h or the M4/N4 dropping from 120 Km/h to 60 Km/h as it approaches the M50. Be wary of them at such places and you'll be grand.

Half Nelson

Quite frankly that driving instructor does not sound very professional.

Ignore your Satnav for speed limits. I use mine as little as possible and generally memorise an unfamiliar route prior to driving as I see it as a dangerous distraction from the road. There is also increasing evidence that slavishly relying on it is detrimental to our sense of direction.

Focus on the road and obey the signs. Don't worry too much about getting done for speeding if the limit is not signposted. When in doubt bear in mind: National road 100 Km/h, Regional and Local roads 80 Km/h, Built up Areas 50 km/h, Special Limits (60 Km/h, 30 Km/h etc) are always signposted.

Around 90% of speed checks are on the approach to a built up area from a road with a high speed limit, whether that's a national road running through a town dropping from 100 Km/h to 50 Km/h or the M4/N4 dropping from 120 Km/h to 60 Km/h as it approaches the M50. Be wary of them at such places and you'll be grand.
One of the busiest Gosafe vans I know of is on a section of road with no sign. Most drivers think its 100kmh because it's such a good road and I've watched them slowing to under 100 as they approach the van..... but it's a Regional road (80). You'd have to be very naive to believe that Gosafe aren't playing a game of underhand tactics.