Ridiculous Speed Limits

SPN

Question 1) There is no restriction to drive on the left except where there are lines and markings commanding it or the RTA says you must, One can drive on the right, I often do. So where did you get that idea from?
a) Basic common sense.
b) Section 17 (1) of SI294/1964

2) Question 2 , what d you mean by a safe speed. Do you mean a safe minimum speed or a safe maximum speed? Who decides whar safe means?
Section 18 of SI294/1964

3) Agreed on No 3.
Whew!

What you are saying here is that I should adjust my speed to the speed all other drivers. If (as you say above), I should drive at a safe speed, then how can I decide to do so if I must select my speed be reference to others.
If you are driving at a different speed to other road users you are increasing the risk.

Is the problem the speed you are driving at, or is the problem the speed they are driving at (they are unaware of some risk factor that you are basing your assessment on). What actions need to be taken to reduce the risk?

How do you claim overtaking is the risky activity, you appear to be suggesting there shoudl ne no overtaking. Should Ross remove the section in the Act allowing overtaking.?
Overtaking and "went to wrong side of the road" are two very significant causal factors in the crash stats. They increase risk, so they should be avoided where possible, or made safer (by moving to the left to enable faster traffic to overtake safely).

valamhic

Banned
a) Basic common sense.
b) Section 17 (1) of SI294/1964

Section 18 of SI294/1964

Whew!

If you are driving at a different speed to other road users you are increasing the risk.

Is the problem the speed you are driving at, or is the problem the speed they are driving at (they are unaware of some risk factor that you are basing your assessment on). What actions need to be taken to reduce the risk?

Overtaking and "went to wrong side of the road" are two very significant causal factors in the crash stats. They increase risk, so they should be avoided where possible, or made safer (by moving to the left to enable faster traffic to overtake safely).
Here is the subsection:

17.—(1) A driver shall drive as near to the left hand side of the roadway as is necessary in order to allow, without danger or inconvenience to traffic or a pedestrian, approaching traffic to pass him on his right and overtaking traffic to overtake him on his right. end of quote.

If there is no approaching traffic and no overtaking traffic, he can drive on the right all he wants.

Last edited:

Gin Soaked

I think I could say without exaggeration I have never seen a car do 30kph over that ramp. Obviously its not impossible but it completely crazy. The 50kph section before this nuts too. This is a one way system with no junctions or pedestrians.
Is that the circular ramp that forms part of the on ramp to the M50?. The red cow has a similar loop.

So, it is a tight radius, so good luck using a radar trap there, or even parking a cop with a hairdryer there from a health and safety basis.

But, in bad weather, 30 is not nuts, especially if there is traffic.

Accept that our speed limits are often arbitrary and too low or often too high. My tolerance for speed drops as I age. But my cars keep getting nicer and more stable at speed. Herself's car wants to do 150 on motorways. Which requires restraint.

Orbit v2

Is that the circular ramp that forms part of the on ramp to the M50?. The red cow has a similar loop.

So, it is a tight radius, so good luck using a radar trap there, or even parking a cop with a hairdryer there from a health and safety basis.

But, in bad weather, 30 is not nuts, especially if there is traffic.

Accept that our speed limits are often arbitrary and too low or often too high. My tolerance for speed drops as I age. But my cars keep getting nicer and more stable at speed. Herself's car wants to do 150 on motorways. Which requires restraint.
Mrs O came across a woman who had spun 180 degrees on one of those ramps. She approached too fast, lost it and ended facing the wrong direction. So, 30 is definitely not nuts on the tightest part of the corner. The trouble is that you then end up on "fast" lane of the N4 (or N6) and have to accelerate to fit in with the traffic. One thing they need to do is use more solid white lines to stop sudden lane changes in those situations.

Gin Soaked

Mrs O came across a woman who had spun 180 degrees on one of those ramps. She approached too fast, lost it and ended facing the wrong direction. So, 30 is definitely not nuts on the tightest part of the corner. The trouble is that you then end up on "fast" lane of the N4 (or N6) and have to accelerate to fit in with the traffic. One thing they need to do is use more solid white lines to stop sudden lane changes in those situations.
Another point on speed is the Irish practice of not accelerating onto motorways. The Motorway will be going 100 to 120kph. So the on ramp is so you get up to that BEFORE you attempt to merge. Why are people incapable of doing that. Accept it if you are in an underpowered sh1tbox, but most cars can hit 100 on an on ramp accelerating from 50. Even without straining the engine...

SPN

Another point on speed is the Irish practice of not accelerating onto motorways. The Motorway will be going 100 to 120kph. So the on ramp is so you get up to that BEFORE you attempt to merge. Why are people incapable of doing that. Accept it if you are in an underpowered sh1tbox, but most cars can hit 100 on an on ramp accelerating from 50. Even without straining the engine...
Nope.

Get this.

In Ireland the guy on the on ramp must stop. And wait.

Thankfully my latest steed has ludicrous mode. Spot the gap. Accelerate into it.

Gin Soaked

Nope.

Get this.

In Ireland the guy on the on ramp must stop. And wait.

Thankfully my latest steed has ludicrous mode. Spot the gap. Accelerate into it.
They must yield / give way to traffic on the motorway. But they must use the ramp to accellerate. My issues are when the road is clear and traffic is light. Some drivers don't even think to look at the motorway traffic.
You only need 100bhp not to be a hazard on the road. Few cars have less.

valamhic

Banned
Is there anyone left who claims it is an offence to drive on the right on Irish roads. There is no general prohibition, I do it all the time. You can drive on the right or left, its your choice.

middleground

Is there anyone left who claims it is an offence to drive on the right on Irish roads. There is no general prohibition, I do it all the time. You can drive on the right or left, its your choice.
In a tractor?

Ardillaun

That's a relief to know. Fool that I am, I had been worried about getting it wrong on my trips home from Canada.

valamhic

Banned
That's a relief to know. Fool that I am, I had been worried about getting it wrong on my trips home from Canada.
I cannot comment on any law other than Ireland and the UK. The law here is a driver must drive on the left to allow oncoming vehicles pass on the right and overtaking vehicles overtake on the right. The law also says a driver must drive to the left of a continuous white line.

SPN

I cannot comment on any law other than Ireland and the UK. The law here is a driver must drive on the left to allow oncoming vehicles pass on the right and overtaking vehicles overtake on the right. The law also says a driver must drive to the left of a continuous white line.
Good luck explaining that to one of Templemore's finest on a cold rainy night and expecting to get away without a fistful of due care and attention.

Baron von Biffo

JimmyFoley

Baron von Biffo

Donegal and Dublin...apples and oranges.
Donegal and Naas.

Donegal does seem to have a problem with 'boy racer' type driving which has led to several fatalities in recent years.

The speed vans are officially known as 'Safety cameras' so it's reasonable to ask why so many of them can be allocated to 14KM of road to police an inappropriately low limit while people are dying in speed related crashes elsewhere.

JimmyFoley

Donegal and Naas.

Donegal does seem to have a problem with 'boy racer' type driving which has led to several fatalities in recent years.

The speed vans are officially known as 'Safety cameras' so it's reasonable to ask why so many of them can be allocated to 14KM of road to police an inappropriately low limit while people are dying in speed related crashes elsewhere.
Because that short stretch of road is used by thousands of cars 365 days a year. Maybe tens of thousands.

Many roads in Donegal wouldnt see that number of journeys in a year.

Trampas

Because that short stretch of road is used by thousands of cars 365 days a year. Maybe tens of thousands.
At a maximum 36 m.p.h. it becomes a very long stretch of road. Shooting fish in a barrel as usual.

Orbit v2

It's difficult to imagine how the Donegal crash could have happened without excessive speed being a factor.
And was the car road-worthy? I think I saw somewhere it was old. Bad tyres or other faults are exacerbated when there is a full load of passengers on board. So, it might not just have been down to speed. Shocking and horrendous accident though.
Donegal crash tragedy: Four friends met up to say goodbye before crash - Independent.ie

Meanwhile, up to 3 speed vans can be provided simultaneously to police the inappropriately low speed limit on the M7 roadworks at Naas where there were no fatalities even before the limit was enforced.
The gosafe vans are normally used where there has been fatalities, but I suspect they are also used where it's easy to catch people as well. I've no problem with the limits at road works though.

Baron von Biffo

Many roads in Donegal wouldnt see that number of journeys in a year.
But the speed vans are supposed to be about reducing fatalities, not monitoring high volume stretches of road. Indeed even by that standard the vans would be better located beyond the roadworks and closer to Dublin. Bear in mind that during the rush hours when volumes are highest along there the speed is, perforce, lower.

I use that road frequently and when when the works started, enforcement was sporadic so that traffic typically went along at 100KM/h without incident.

The whole operation smacks of boosting the statistics rather than any concern for safety.

recedite

It's difficult to imagine how the Donegal crash could have happened without excessive speed being a factor.

Donegal crash tragedy: Four friends met up to say goodbye before crash - Independent.ie

Meanwhile, up to 3 speed vans can be provided simultaneously to police the inappropriately low speed limit on the M7 roadworks at Naas where there were no fatalities even before the limit was enforced.
Arguably ridiculous speed limits in other places contribute to these kind of speeding accidents.
The general public have lost all respect for speed limits in general, only seeing them as relevant where or when there is a camera about.