Riding the goat

McSlaggart

A SENIOR Orangeman in Northern Ireland has declined to comment on bizarre initiation rituals of his Scottish counterparts - including being whipped with spiky branches while members imitate bleating goats.

The Irish News asked Orange Order grand secretary Rev Mervyn Gibson if he was aware of a new study by anthropologist and Cambridge University lecturer, Joseph Webster, who interviewed members of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland.

In an article published in The Times, Dr Webster claimed that secret ceremonies involved new members being blindfolded, wrapped in a blanket and made to kneel on a coffin where they are "roughly kicked and tossed in a part of the ritual called riding the goat".

Others hoping to move to the next level in the Protestant-only group have their "naked left breast pricked three times with a sword” while blindfolded and barefoot as a reminder "not to divulge the secrets they are about to receive".

While disaffected members have leaked similar accounts in the past, it is understood this is the first time experiences have been collated into a single source.

Dr Webster told The Times: "I did ask to see the ritual but was told I couldn't, although I saw the props and that kind of thing. I have no hesitation about the accuracy of the material."

The Irish News asked Rev Gibson if he was aware of the Scottish rituals and if any similar practices had taken place in Northern Ireland. He declined to comment.

The order is little more than a zombie. The question is how does one keep the bands going ? I actually think that the bands are a good thing for young male members of the protestant community. They need to change and stop being sectarian in nature. This is a difficult but I would contend a necessary step if they are to have a future.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Fairly common move in initiation rites. The objective is to establish a bond between the initiate and the members of the cult or society. The humiliating aspects of the experience are calculated to strip away any reserve the initiate may have about his new found friends and establishes right away that there is a shared secret between them. This establishes a power relationship exercised by the group over the individual.

Same MO as paedophiles grooming a child. Dominance psychology.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Cameron todgering a pig's head. Various frat houses in the US hazing new arrivals etc. Just a power dynamic being exercised by the people who are senior in the society or cult involved.

McSlaggart

Fairly common move in initiation rites. The objective is to establish a bond between the initiate and the members of the cult or society. The humiliating aspects of the experience are calculated to strip away any reserve the initiate may have about his new found friends and establishes right away that there is a shared secret between them. This establishes a power relationship exercised by the group over the individual.

I honestly find it all a bit sad. This sort of stuff has come out of the order down the years and they have never addressed the issues. The order has at this point got so week that I do not think they can address the various issues that is facing it.

McTell

And to think that some of us in the 26 want these goat fetishists to join us as full-on citizens of our fair republic!

Then again, goats bleating is nothing like sheep....

Dame_Enda

Sounds like a hazing ritual.

Catapulta

Tell us about your own experiences then Lumpy... :D

bang bang

A SENIOR Orangeman in Northern Ireland has declined to comment on bizarre initiation rituals of his Scottish counterparts - including being whipped with spiky branches while members imitate bleating goats.

The Irish News asked Orange Order grand secretary Rev Mervyn Gibson if he was aware of a new study by anthropologist and Cambridge University lecturer, Joseph Webster, who interviewed members of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland.

In an article published in The Times, Dr Webster claimed that secret ceremonies involved new members being blindfolded, wrapped in a blanket and made to kneel on a coffin where they are "roughly kicked and tossed in a part of the ritual called riding the goat".

Others hoping to move to the next level in the Protestant-only group have their "naked left breast pricked three times with a sword” while blindfolded and barefoot as a reminder "not to divulge the secrets they are about to receive".

While disaffected members have leaked similar accounts in the past, it is understood this is the first time experiences have been collated into a single source.

Dr Webster told The Times: "I did ask to see the ritual but was told I couldn't, although I saw the props and that kind of thing. I have no hesitation about the accuracy of the material."

The Irish News asked Rev Gibson if he was aware of the Scottish rituals and if any similar practices had taken place in Northern Ireland. He declined to comment.

The order is little more than a zombie. The question is how does one keep the bands going ? I actually think that the bands are a good thing for young male members of the protestant community. They need to change and stop being sectarian in nature. This is a difficult but I would contend a necessary step if they are to have a future.
Bridgey is the site expert on "goat riding" I suggest you call on his expertise!

McSlaggart

Bridgey is the site expert on "goat riding" I suggest you call on his expertise!

He is a Fermanagh orange man. They would have had good numbers up on till recently. I dont think the old men in his lodge could do much goat riding anymore.

AhNowStop

All catholic goats have a monthly forking ( yes that’s “forking” :confused:) to ensure they arent stolen, rid and then turned into Lambeg drums like their unfortunate prody counterparts:cry:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Tell us about your own experiences then Lumpy... :D
We've all had an education about the rather fetid psychologies around child abuse and the deliberate constructs designed to control victims. Courtesy of your failed cult.

McTell

How can we unite with the 6 counties, and remove both sets of unemployable under-educated eejitries, that is the National Challenge of the 2000s.

AhNowStop

How can we unite with the 6 counties, and remove both sets of unemployable under-educated eejitries, that is the National Challenge of the 2000s.
Why not put them in the FFG government with their southern counterparts ...

McTell

Why not put them in the FFG government with their southern counterparts ...

....proving my point that we have enough eejits here already, grma.

Looking at the 6 counties having the highest percentage of mental health problems in europe, we don't have the facilities for them right now.

AhNowStop

Looking at the 6 counties having the highest percentage of mental health problems in europe, we don't have the facilities for them right now.
Are you afraid of some Nordie coming down & taking your spot ?

McTell

Are you afraid of some Nordie coming down & taking your spot ?

Haha no, as my sales of plastic virgin marys from east asia have an island of ireland exclusive territory clause.

OK so the greens may object that making the plastic effs up the environment, but we can set up a workshop in the carpathians to have then knocked out of sustainable timber.

AhNowStop

Haha no, as my sales of plastic virgin marys from east asia have an island of ireland exclusive territory clause.

OK so the greens may object that making the plastic effs up the environment, but we can set up a workshop in the carpathians to have then knocked out of sustainable timber.
Eh ... :unsure: Are we in the same conversation ?

McSlaggart

You would find removing northern Ireland and fixing the economy would change the level of mental health.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom