Right to bear arms

McSlaggart

Is it not time that we remove the ability of citizens to have their own guns in northern Ireland? With Brexit and a history of abusing private held guns 1.

It is actually not that difficult to obtain your own private weapon if you felt the need during brexit. 2

The best known example was the Third Force rallies on 1 April 1981. At a number of these rallies, large groups of men displayed what purported to be firearms certificates.[1]

Golah veNekhar

Seriously you are being a total scumbag here. What would you not advocate in order to spite the savage Prods? I am starting to think that after all the Shinners are just as tribalist as the DUP. If anything we should be further liberalizing the gun laws.

Golah veNekhar

It's not the legal guns in NI that you need to worry about.
The IRSP/INLA have a ton of legal guns. I would worry about them just as I would worry about the legal guns held by TUV savages.

McTell

Twitter
No
So how many legit guns are there in the 6 counties, and how often have they been "misused" in the past decade?

Golah veNekhar

Now you really need to explain this one.
Part of the deal with the INLA decommissioning was that they got all sorts of legal fire power.

Glenshane4

Is it not time that we remove the ability of citizens to have their own guns in northern Ireland?
No. Quite the opposite. As World War 2 threatened everyone in Northern Ireland was issued with a gas mask. Everyone in Northern Ireland (except the insane) should be issued with a handgun - provided he/she agrees to have his/her fingerprints recorded, his/her DNA recorded and also his/her photograph taken.

Such a measure would weaken the ability of paramilitaries to intimidate law abiding people. It would also mean that Catholics would no longer need the IRA to defend us. And it would make crime a risky business.

Antóin Mac Comháin

No. Quite the opposite. As World War 2 threatened everyone in Northern Ireland was issued with a gas mask. Everyone in Northern Ireland (except the insane) should be issued with a handgun - provided he/she agrees to have his/her fingerprints recorded, his/her DNA recorded and also his/her photograph taken.

Such a measure would weaken the ability of paramilitaries to intimidate law abiding people. It would also mean that Catholics would no longer need the IRA to defend us. And it would make crime a risky business.
How did that pan out the last time when 120,000+ firearm certs were issued?

Glenshane4

"What would you not advocate in order to spite the savage Prods?"

What could be wrong with spiting savage Prods?

"I am starting to think that after all the Shinners are just as tribalist as the DUP."

If only that were the case.

"If anything we should be further liberalizing the gun laws."

Definitely. The police cannot protect law abiding people so let the law abiding people have the means to protect themselves.

Golah veNekhar

The last low intensity war would not have happened if Catholics had been given the same Gun Rights as Prods de facto under "Old Stormont".

Antóin Mac Comháin

Please give detail. When did that take place? Where did it take place? Were the guns issued to everyone or merely to Prods?
If you dig through the back issues of the Irish National Congress newsletters you will find one with the finer details that will answer those questions better than I can. IIRC I think it is an estimate for legit guns held over several decades, so in effect it would be counting old weapons which were replaced, but it's still a shockingly high number and an issue those who screamed loudest for Decommissioning were all too shy about tackling. I think giving the other side an equal amount of weapons would have made a bad situation a whole lot worse, as would giving everyone a handgun.

Antóin Mac Comháin

The last low intensity war would not have happened if Catholics had been given the same Gun Rights as Prods de facto under "Old Stormont".
Do you honestly believe that if everyone in the 6 Counties had legally held guns 50 years ago, that the death toll would have been lower than it was 30 years later?

Speaking of armed animals, what did you make of the grunt threatening to have the wee wans taken from their parents?

Do you think the British are spoiling for a fight?

New Threads

Most Replies