Right to Die bill back on the table?

Spanner Island

I'm all for the right to die for those in dire straits (terminal illness, locked in syndrome, the latter stages of diseases like MS etc.) who wish to do so while still compos mentis...

Bring it on.

D

Deleted member 17573

I would fully support it for terminal/painful physical illnesses. Beyond that it's not so straightforward and there is scope for abuse. Any legislation might be best addressing just the former first, it can be refined for more complex scenarios later. But it should not be put on the long finger because of these issues.

Lagertha

Nah, it's much better to let terminally ill people with incurable diseases who are in agony die a long horrific death. Doing the opposite would be immoral don't ya know? There must be a hashtag movement against it due to appear soon.

Dame_Enda

I think it should be allowed but very strictly regulated to avoid particularly the elderly being bullied into agreeing to euthanasia for financial reasons. It should only be allowed if someone is experiencing agonising pain that makes life unbearable from an objective point of view.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Will Ronan Mullins and Fianna Fail make a comeback on this topic?

Spanner Island

Nah, it's much better to let terminally ill people with incurable diseases who are in agony die a long horrific death. There must be a hashtag movement against it due to appear soon.
I think on this issue politicians are well behind the curve as usual.

Of course there are risks and no system will be perfect... but it is certainly doable and from talking with family and friends over many years about this issue... I can't honestly recall anyone who is opposed to it for those in agony and for whom there is no prospect of an improvement...

I've told them to switch off the machine if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be relying on one with no prospect of recovery or of regaining any quality of life...

D

Deleted member 17573

I think it should be allowed but very strictly regulated to avoid particularly the elderly being bullied into agreeing to euthanasia for financial reasons. It should only be allowed if someone is experiencing agonising pain that makes life unbearable from an objective point of view.
Or if they are suffering from an illness that will progress to being a very painful one?

Sotired

I won’t be asking for anyone’s permission.

When the time comes when I can’t cope, I will not be going into a home.

Less draw on the state’s and other coffers.

Wagmore

Welcome to the Brave New World. Why not make it compulsory at 80 unless you can pass a fitness test. If too many pass we can have a jog off or "Dieathlon" on National TV. I'm thinking a cryogenically preserved Kathryn Thomas presenting, the corpse of Daniel O Donnell as brand ambassador and HSE as main sponsor.

Last edited:

theObserver@hotmail.com

Well we have abortion now which will result in fewer births and an aging society. Making euthanasia the next great liberal battle makes perfect sense to ease the pension and healthcare burden on the state.

Buchaill Dana

Welcome to the Brave New World. Why not make it compulsory at 80 unless you can pass a fitness test. If too many pass we can have a jog off or "Dieathlon" on National TV. I'm thinking a cryogenically preserved Kathryn Thomas presenting, the corpse of Daniel O Donnell as brand ambassador and HSE as main sponsor.
Do you think this is a laughing matter?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies