Right Wing Authoritarianism

Toasty

Some of you are probably familiar with the research carried out by Bob Altemeyer since the early 1980's which led to a number of refinements to the existing body of psychological work on the authoritarian personality. This is becoming seemingly more relevant in recent times with the rise of authoritarian populism across the world.

From Wikipedia

"Right-wing authoritarianism (RWA) is a personality and ideological variable studied in political, social, and personality psychology. Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion,[clarification needed] to achieve it.[1]"

Altemeyer published a book on the subject that he has made freely available online here:

The Authoritarians

There are a number of very interesting links / videos on the subject online and I'd encourage anyone to check them out. It's potentially the biggest threat to democracy and possibly the future of humanity since the 1930's.

This should not be seen as a partisan issue or liberal / conservative debating point. Anyone who cares about democracy should take note and educate themselves about this and don't for a minute think it could not happen in Ireland.

Prester Jim

Some of you are probably familiar with the research carried out by Bob Altemeyer since the early 1980's which led to a number of refinements to the existing body of psychological work on the authoritarian personality. This is becoming seemingly more relevant in recent times with the rise of authoritarian populism across the world.

From Wikipedia

"Right-wing authoritarianism (RWA) is a personality and ideological variable studied in political, social, and personality psychology. Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion,[clarification needed] to achieve it.[1]"

Altemeyer published a book on the subject that he has made freely available online here:

The Authoritarians

There are a number of very interesting links / videos on the subject online and I'd encourage anyone to check them out. It's potentially the biggest threat to democracy and possibly the future of humanity since the 1930's.

This should not be seen as a partisan issue or liberal / conservative debating point. Anyone who cares about democracy should take note and educate themselves about this and don't for a minute think it could not happen in Ireland.
There are a substantial number of trolling posters here who fit that mould, also a few FF/FG posters (far from all of them) who attempt to throw cold water on any dissent from the establishment line, whistleblowers, talk of AGS/DPP corruption, protest and left wing politics there is often little actual discussion just an attempt to make disagreement seem contemptible and/or absurd.
Too much dissent is actually harmful to society as it degrades trust in institutions and fellow citizens and eventually degrades law and order, however in this state the vast majority of that degradation is down to the appalling behaviour of many of the institutions of the state, particularly AGS.

GDPR

I'm fed up of constantly hearing about the "Authoritarian Personality"- Adorno actually had a lot of interesting things to say and people who could actually gain a lot from reading him often seem to dismiss him on the basis of that book which was him at his most neurotic worst. The thing is that a lot of Left wing people have "Authoritarian Personalities" to; indeed one of the criticisms you often get from Rightists of the People's Democracies and the Soviet Union is that they banned degenerate music and kept out drugs. The most authoritarian person I know is a Maoist- but I like people with a "Military" vibe about them, I wish I had more of one myself quite often.

RodShaft

I'm fed up of constantly hearing about the "Authoritarian Personality"- Adorno actually had a lot of interesting things to say and people who could actually gain a lot from reading him often seem to dismiss him on the basis of that book which was him at his most neurotic worst. The thing is that a lot of Left wing people have "Authoritarian Personalities" to; indeed one of the criticisms you often get from Rightists of the People's Democracies and the Soviet Union is that they banned degenerate music and kept out drugs. The most authoritarian person I know is a Maoist- but I like people with a "Military" vibe about them, I wish I had more of one myself quite often.
There are as you say, authoritarians of all stripes.

Loathsome people.

GDPR

Loathsome people.
They definitely can be loathsome, but they can also be very fine people. It is note worthy that Authoritarians on both Right and Left both seem to always have a massive adoration of Beethovan and Wagner who I also adore.

Libertines on the other hand are nearly always vile creatures.

Is there anyone on the Irish Left who is in favour of banning degenerate music? Some how I doubt it.

'orebel

They definitely can be loathsome, but they can also be very fine people. It is note worthy that Authoritarians on both Right and Left both seem to always have a massive adoration of Beethovan and Wagner who I also adore.

Libertines on the other hand are nearly always vile creatures.

Is there anyone on the Irish Left who is in favour of banning degenerate music? Some how I doubt it.
Examples?

stopdoingstuff

[video=youtube;eMK4cfXj5c0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMK4cfXj5c0[/video]

flavirostris

If there's anything more pathetic than an Irish person listening to rap then I can't think of it right now.
An Irish person actually doing rap?

TedHankey

Loathsome people.
Just like people addicted to anything else there is probably a way to empathise with and accommodate people addicted to power and influence over others. I find authoritarians very similar to people I know who are obsessed with possessiveness (cheerleaders of capitalism), celebrity (famous people and their fanatics) and moral status (the saints and sinners). They all have a huge big hole inside them that they will never fill.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies