Right Wingers fill a vaccum?

fluffykontbiscuits

I think its important for the educated among us to resist the pull of the strong xtreme right wing element that may try to fill the vaccum once FF is gone. I notice it more and more people blaming immigrants and Inda Kenny looking for a return to old ways....Beware of the right wingers.....

DeputyEdo

I think its important for the educated among us to resist the pull of the strong xtreme right wing element that may try to fill the vaccum once FF is gone. I notice it more and more people blaming immigrants and Inda Kenny looking for a return to old ways....Beware of the right wingers.....
I think most people know it's not the immigrants...it's the gays!!!:eek: :D

I doubt any extreme right wing group will get anywhere in Ireland. I can't see a BNP style party doing to well over here.

Social Conscience

This is a very valid thread but I think we all know a strong extreme right wing movement will start to gain pace in the coming weeks and months.

How do we counter such is an important question?

imokyrok

This is true. The urge to look for scapegoats rather than accept personal responsibility is very prevalent in the human psyche. We see it with FF who try to blame the US banking crisis and the EU for their mismanagement and we see it in the general electorate who were perfectly happy to vote for the status quo until their own personal pocket was impacted. I do hope we can avoid going down the same path as the US where immigrants and even descendants of immigrants (once they're not European) are the subject of prejudice and vitriol.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Yes, us educated people must recognise that if we let our guard down, before we know it some party will emerge and call for the gassing of travellers, Roma, homosexuals and other oppressed minorities.

The fear-mongering of some and their lack of compassion for their fellow human beings is a terrible thing, why can’t we just all get along?

I think it’s more important than sorting out the country’s finances that we should first make sure that no loony right wing 'conservative' types ever have a voice in Irish public life.

[size=-2] chimp noises [/size]

Last edited:

Camper Van

Try putting up a post that isn't littered with spelling and grammar errors, oh educated one.

Venceremos

I lived in London at the height of the National Front boom, and there was a close relationship between the appeal of NF and the undercurrent of slightly less virulent but very persuasive racism creating a similar world-view in the right wing press. In Ireland now, there are dangerous anti-migrant myths being propagated by some papers as 'news', while we seem very keen to believe urban myths which reflect badly on people from other countries (or even other parishes). I have been struggling for some time with the problem of how to respond to false or misleading stories without access to the tabloid front pages. Any ideas?

sue flanker

I relish the idea of a real right and a real left as well,put our cards on the table and no more dodging issues and decisions. Someone like Pim Fortuyn would be good, hey Fluf, why not give it a go? Don't worry I'm sure you'll be safe enough. Heil Fluffy!

fluffykontbiscuits

This is true. The urge to look for scapegoats rather than accept personal responsibility is very prevalent in the human psyche. We see it with FF who try to blame the US banking crisis and the EU for their mismanagement and we see it in the general electorate who were perfectly happy to vote for the status quo until their own personal pocket was impacted. I do hope we can avoid going down the same path as the US where immigrants and even descendants of immigrants (once they're not European) are the subject of prejudice and vitriol.

Very good post Imokyrok!
Just reading about the psychology behind blame

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF BLAME

There are four situational factors that affect the likelihood that other-blame will occur. The presence of another at the time of the event increases the probability of that person being blamed. This is why surgeons and obstetricians seem to be blamed much more frequently than general practitioners. The former are more likely to be there when a bad event occurs while the latter deal with insidious or chronic problems that have no discrete starting point. In education, it is more likely, for example, that a teacher who retains a student will be blamed for the student's academic difficulties even ten years later despite the fact that the problems were there long before the event and continued afterwards

Last edited:

Camper Van

Psychology now eh. Wow, wherever do you find the time. What's next-a 2 part lecture on nuclear physics, oh educated one?

fluffykontbiscuits

Psychology now eh. Wow, wherever do you find the time. What's next-a 2 part lecture on nuclear physics, oh educated one?
I take it you are too stupid to take part in the discussion? Did the missus leave you for a younger model, she cant tell you what to type , is that what happened?

Either join in or sling your hook....trolling at its worst :lol:

Camper Van

I take it you are too stupid to take part in the discussion? Did the missus leave you for a younger model, she cant tell you what to type , is that what happened?

Either join in or sling your hook....trolling at its worst :lol:
You're only amusing when you're trying to be serious. Can you stick to what you're good at, oh educated one?

Sham96

Morgan Kellys recents comments will again turn out to be true about a part of the Irish electorate taking a hard right position in the next 2 to 5 years. And as someone who has lived in Holland, Germany and Denmark I have watched many in the hard left/left of centre switch to the hard right/right of centre. Real conditions can do that.

markjbloggs

I think it’s more important than sorting out the country’s finances that we should first make sure that no loony right wing 'conservative' types ever have a voice in Irish public life.

[size=-2] chimp noises [/size]
I'd be just as fearful of the loony left !!

SlickWilly

While we are a very right wing country I am naive enough tyo believe that extreme rightism won't be on our agenda!

Ethan Edwards

I watched a very good programme a couple of years ago called the Pope's children presented by David McWilliams the first couple of episodes concerned themselves with the rising and current boom Ireland was enjoying. The last couple of episodes went into what will happen when the party ends and the Germans want their money back, and he seems to be right on the money with his predictions, but one of the last things he mentioned was out of all the chaos it will only take one Irish politician to wrap themselves in the Irish flag blame the immigrants for our woes and promise to get rid of them and he will be swept to power. When you consider that we here in Ireland are incapable of having a rational debate on immigration without the word "racist" appearing in the opening 2minutes or in the first 5 post's the possibility of a strong right wing surfacing is very believable.

An Gilladaker

I watched a very good programme a couple of years ago called the Pope's children presented by David McWilliams the first couple of episodes concerned themselves with the rising and current boom Ireland was enjoying. The last couple of episodes went into what will happen when the party ends and the Germans want their money back, and he seems to be right on the money with his predictions, but one of the last things he mentioned was out of all the chaos it will only take one Irish politician to wrap themselves in the Irish flag blame the immigrants for our woes and promise to get rid of them and he will be swept to power. When you consider that we here in Ireland are incapable of having a rational debate on immigration without the word "racist" appearing in the opening 2minutes or in the first 5 post's the possibility of a strong right wing surfacing is very believable.
All you need is to recruit Harney and bobs your uncle:)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies