Rioting in Finglas

Yesterday, serious disturbances occured in Finglas with people being dragged from their cars, attacked, and cars being set alight. Up to 200 hundred people were said to be involved, some as young as 10. A fantastic way to celebrate our national day!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/finglas.html

Abaddon

I have a couple of friends that have family members living in that area that had to go back there and stay with their parents to make sure that they were safe and nothing happened to their houses or cars. Shocked that there were only 17 arrested. From what I was told there were alot more than 17 youths rioting in that area yesterday.

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to the Dublin forum.</Mod>

Dillinger

I was out for dinner in a chinese restaurant off capel St last weekend, there was a 21st going on upstairs, we got talking to a few of the guys who were at the 21st while waiting for the bill, they were from Finglas, they kept going on about how the cops have no say in Finglas that the gangsters own the streets, and they were proud of it. When they heard my mate was from Crumlin they started harping on about Gilligan and the General like they were famous footballers or something.

CJH

There's a real and deepening problem in the country, but especially in Dublin, regarding the behaviour of certain groups of teenagers and young people, and the problem is all but ignored by the media and the political classes, probably because it is not a politically correct one, but it is a major source of concern for anybody living in an urban area.

These louts are scumbags, scobes, knackers, whatever, and they are making the lives of too many people a misery. The other day in the Irish Times I read about a Brazilian woman who got beaten up by teenagers while walking home in Dublin. She said that, while older people are very pleasant, she regularly receives abuse from groups of teenagers, and she also said that she knows other immgrants who have received the same treatment. The two Polish men killed recently are an even more serious example.

We all know what these teenagers look and sound like. They aren't wearing chinos and Leinster tops. They can be seen loitering outside off licences and convenience stores, or acting threatingly on trains or the top floors of buses. Their parents dont seem to have any concern for them, so I dont know what the rest of us can do. But a major clampdown on anti-social behaviour in all its forms is necessary if we want to maintain Dublin and the rest of the country as a pleasant and welcoming place to live

Indymedia are saying that a possible reason for the violence was due to the release of a criminal, and this was a "celebration" of sorts.

It also examines how a vacumn once occupied by community leaders, the IRA and priests in providing leadership and authority figures, is now being filled bu local scumbags and criminals.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/86740

meriwether

Community leaders, the IRA, and Priests?

Where did you get this motley crew from?

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
PaintingMedium said:
Indymedia are saying that a possible reason for the violence was due to the release of a criminal, and this was a "celebration" of sorts.

It also examines how a vacumn once occupied by community leaders, the IRA and priests in providing leadership and authority figures, is now being filled bu local scumbags and criminals.

WTF??? :eek:

meriwether said:

Just some of the figures that Indymedia is quoting!

Nothing to do with me!

I do believe there is some sense in it, there is no authority where once there was, I do not see it as an unreasonable decduction on the part of Indymedia.

JCSkinner said:
PaintingMedium said:

I do not think it is very hard to believe, is it?

code twinkle

PaintingMedium said:
meriwether said:

Nothing to do with me!

I do believe there is some sense in it, there is no authority where once there was, I do not see it as an unreasonable decduction on the part of Indymedia.
Dunno if they've identified the authority figures correctly there but I'm sure that is part of the problem.

However IMHO the real problem is the widening social gap between the "scobes" "scumbags" (and other de-humanising terms used on this board) and mainstream society. Someone mentioned there about people from Finglas portraying the General as a hero-figure - well IMO i think that makes perfect sense. He is a "high-achiever" in Finglas/Crumlin terms, whether you find that offensive or not. He has acquired wealth and status and a role in wider society. We all want those things in some form or other.

I don't know why this alienation is increasing but it must have its roots in the growing gap between the wealthiest and the poorest people in Ireland and the seeming freeze on social mobility through mainstream channels (ie. non-criminal) that is affecting the poorest, most disadvantaged sections of people in Ireland.

Again, I don't know why but I do think that language like that used above is not helpful. It's a real problem and pretending that huge numbers of people can be dismissed as some kind of sub-species is totally avoiding dealing with the issue.

Dillinger

code twinkle said:
PaintingMedium said:
meriwether said:

Nothing to do with me!

Dunno if they've identified the authority figures correctly there but I'm sure that is part of the problem.

However IMHO the real problem is the widening social gap between the "scobes" "scumbags" (and other de-humanising terms used on this board) and mainstream society. Someone mentioned there about people from Finglas portraying the General as a hero-figure - well IMO i think that makes perfect sense. He is a "high-achiever" in Finglas/Crumlin terms, whether you find that offensive or not. He has acquired wealth and status and a role in wider society. We all want those things in some form or other.

I don't know why this alienation is increasing but it must have its roots in the growing gap between the wealthiest and the poorest people in Ireland and the seeming freeze on social mobility through mainstream channels (ie. non-criminal) that is affecting the poorest, most disadvantaged sections of people in Ireland.

Again, I don't know why but I do think that language like that used above is not helpful. It's a real problem and pretending that huge numbers of people can be dismissed as some kind of sub-species is totally avoiding dealing with the issue.
Where I live we have constant trouble with gangs of teenagers, and they all come from good homes, they want for nothing, you should see some of the houses these idiots live in, its just cool to act like a gangster or a thug, they all try to out do each other. It is easy for them to get alcohol from the local shops and off licences, thats when it all kicks off, after they have had their fill of lager and vodka. They also know that the Garda can do very little when the person in question is under the age of 18.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
PaintingMedium said:
JCSkinner said:
PaintingMedium said:

Au contraire. Having grown up in a Republican area of North Belfast, the conceit that the IRA provide anything like leadership and authority is to me beyond risible. It's contemptible.

code twinkle said:
PaintingMedium said:
meriwether said:

Nothing to do with me!

Yeah I disagree. I quote one of the lines from the piece in Indymedia which I think is a lot more accurate then this bizarre rich/poor battle, and in fairness, Indymedia usually use the rich/poor argument way too much so I would not be a fan, but in this instance, they are accurate in some of there opinions

Some people have pointed out that affluence has led to bored young people with enough money to buy cheap booze and drugs

So how do we explain this?

Yeah, I am sure the rapists hate the fact that we call them scumbags, I am sure paedos aint happy either with their nicknames too, big deal. There are plenty and plenty of good people in Finglas who dispise these scumbags too.

JCSkinner said:
PaintingMedium said:
JCSkinner said:
PaintingMedium said:

Au contraire. Having grown up in a Republican area of North Belfast, the conceit that the IRA provide anything like leadership and authority is to me beyond risible. It's contemptible.
Thats your opinion, and yeah, that is fine, but we cannot deny that the PIRA did have support in communities so members would have had an authority or leadership values in particular communities.

code twinkle

Well I'd be more a rehab-rather-than-castration fan for people with pathological sexual disorders myself anyway so we're obviously coming from two different perspectives but I agree there is similar drink-fuelled anti-social behavior going on in affluent areas which I think is a product of different causes, though it should be addressed aswell.

code twinkle

PaintingMedium said:
code twinkle said:
PaintingMedium said:
meriwether said:

Nothing to do with me!

Yeah I disagree. I quote one of the lines from the piece in Indymedia which I think is a lot more accurate then this bizarre rich/poor battle, and in fairness, Indymedia usually use the rich/poor argument way too much so I would not be a fan, but in this instance, they are accurate in some of there opinions

Some people have pointed out that affluence has led to bored young people with enough money to buy cheap booze and drugs

So how do we explain this?

Yeah, I am sure the rapists hate the fact that we call them scumbags, I am sure paedos aint happy either with their nicknames too, big deal. There are plenty and plenty of good people in Finglas who dispise these scumbags too.
Well I'd be more a rehab-rather-than-castration fan for people with pathological sexual disorders myself anyway so we're obviously coming from two different perspectives but I agree there is similar drink-fuelled anti-social behavior going on in affluent areas which I think is a product of different causes, though it should be addressed aswell.

Fish

code twinkle said:
PaintingMedium said:
meriwether said:

Nothing to do with me!

Oh god here we go again, these people in Finglas are just misunderstood. :roll:

I have had this argument on this forum before with the bleeding hearts and it's always the same/they are victims of their circumstances the poor sods. I have said it before and will say it again that being of limited financial means is not an excuse for behaving like an animal. That is what these people are plain and simple, fcuking animals and they are not alone because there are plenty more of their sort the length and breath of this country. Pennies Hoodie Scum the lot of them!

I have a suggestion though that might work, organise a free flagan of cider day on board a large car transporter and sink it off the coast with the scum on board, problem solved!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies