• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Riots in Paris as PSG Fans go wild.

PSG Riot: Paris Saint-Germain Title Celebrations Marred By Fan Violence (PHOTOS)

It's very shocking to see the extent of the damage caused by the rioters. They really ran riot.

The CRS were duly deployed. One scene in the news showed two officers challenging a couple of fans who had broken into a shop. As one of them ran out, a tiny ankle-tap saw him pitch forward head-first where his head bounced alarming of the side-wing of a car before the officer started laying in to him.

Shocking scenes.

PSG have been trying for years to clean up their image, and this will send them right back.

Nasty stuff, and they'll be hosting foreign sides next year, who may have fans who also wish to have fun.

Could soccer revert to the bad old days?

Verhofstadt

Website
Bored kids left to wait too long for arriving players get a bit lairy and the police go in all tooled up in full robocop riot gear and over react, sparking mass riots..

PSG fans have a history of being nasty b'stards, although it should also be noted the Parisian Police tend to lack some subtlety when it comes to crowd control.

eoghanacht

I remember some thing similar happening in America after some hockey team won after a long wait. So I wouldn't say it's a sign of a return to the bad old days, just scum taking advantage

Anyone rioting after a team wins a league trophy deserves everything the cops throw at them, you could make a case for the rioting in London last year and in Paris some years back as an expression of disaffection with the State but once you damage private property or break and enter a private business then you surrender any right in claiming the the riot is an expression of a disenfranchised youth.

eoghanacht

Bored kids left to wait too long for arriving players get a bit lairy and the police go in all tooled up in full robocop riot gear and over react, sparking mass riots..

PSG fans have a history of being nasty b'stards, although it should also be noted the Parisian Police tend to lack some subtlety when it comes to crowd control.

Bored kids, would go home if the cops got over zealous not loot shops.

sauntersplash

I suppose this kind of thing is inevitable. It's a natural progression of the sort of frame of mind that people go to football matches to induce in themselves and enjoy.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I remember some thing similar happening in America after some hockey team won after a long wait. So I wouldn't say it's a sign of a return to the bad old days, just scum taking advantage

Anyone rioting after a team wins a league trophy deserves everything the cops throw at them, you could make a case for the rioting in London last year and in Paris some years back as an expression of disaffection with the State but once you damage private property or break and enter a private business then you surrender any right in claiming the the riot is an expression of a disenfranchised youth.
I've wondered in the past whether the CRS riot gear can indeed be a provocation.

That said, I'm mindful of the following incident I witnessed at Stade de France on the day that Dricko got his hat-trick.

The fans were all making their way quietly from the ground to the RER station to catch the shuttle to Gare du Nord.

One very obvious Ireland fan decided to have a p1ss against a coach which had no markings and blacked out windows; The CRS coach. He was peeing against the rear offside wheel. Radios must have crackled into life as six or seven robocops exited the coach and stealthily surrounded him. Then came the tap on the shoulder.

They guy most likely sh4t himself as they folded their arms, riot batons held up.For twenty seconds I waited for the poor chap to receive his comeuppance and then I realised that the CRS were taking the mickey as they began to fall around laughing.

They are commonly deployed along the routes of peacfeul protests and don't seem to inspire violence by their presence (not always, at least).

Clanrickard

I've wondered in the past whether the CRS riot gear can indeed be a provocation.

That said, I'm mindful of the following incident I witnessed at Stade de France on the day that Dricko got his hat-trick.

The fans were all making their way quietly from the ground to the RER station to catch the shuttle to Gare du Nord.

One very obvious Ireland fan decided to have a p1ss against a coach which had no markings and blacked out windows; The CRS coach. He was peeing against the rear offside wheel. Radios must have crackled into life as six or seven robocops exited the coach and stealthily surrounded him. Then came the tap on the shoulder.

They guy most likely sh4t himself as they folded their arms, riot batons held up.For twenty seconds I waited for the poor chap to receive his comeuppance and then I realised that the CRS were taking the mickey as they began to fall around laughing.

They are commonly deployed along the routes of peacfeul protests and don't seem to inspire violence by their presence (not always, at least).
I used to work beside their training base. You wouldn't want to get into a row with them. They have a fearsome reputation which can sometimes lead the foolhardy and the drunk to test their mettle.

Verhofstadt

Website

farnaby

Soccer is the team sport with the lowest likelihood of getting what your team deserves. As an American friend put it to me, one team can dominate for 89mins and still lose 1-0.

Fans wallow in the current and past injustices and it doesn't take much for boos against the opposing team to shift to horrendous abuse of the referee to all-out violence.

And experienced hooligans know exactly what to do to kick things off and do a runner. It's the thick-headed, easily-incited eejits who get arrested.

artfoley56

i have to say i'm a big fan of the CRS, but my french friends refer to them as the crSS. they did a great job in marseille in 98 on the english lads

H.R. Haldeman

PSG have both far right and multicultural factions in their fanbase. They sit at opposite ends of the stadium and regularly fight one another. At least, up until recent years - there have been moves by the club to gentrify recently.

The far right group - the Boulonge - were there first and were the cause of the club's bad reputation in the 70's and 80's. More recently immigrants and multi-ethnic Parisians have gravitated towards the club and formed their own groupings. Indeed, this polarisation was aided by the club itself which effectively divided the stadium between the old-school far right and everyone else. This lead to one end of the stadium becoming multi-ethnic, the other being white and far right.

It's really scummy stuff all round, and for me a really scummy club.

Astral Peaks

PSG have both far right and multicultural factions in their fanbase. They sit at opposite ends of the stadium and regularly fight one another. At least, up until recent years - there have been moves by the club to gentrify recently.

The far right group - the Boulonge - were there first and were the cause of the club's bad reputation in the 70's and 80's. More recently immigrants and multi-ethnic Parisians have gravitated towards the club and formed their own groupings. Indeed, this polarisation was aided by the club itself which effectively divided the stadium between the old-school far right and everyone else. This lead to one end of the stadium becoming multi-ethnic, the other being white and far right.

It's really scummy stuff all round, and for me a really scummy club.
My brother was at their recent away game vs Evian in Annecy, said the goading and chants against any black player in the Evian squad was shocking.
No mention of this in any of the Paris based media the next day though.

TiredOfBeingTired

England play Ireland at Wembley on May 29th.
Wonder what the policing arrangements will be for that, given what happened the last time they met?

NewDawn1

Was the fighting between the fans or just general rioting?

ICDBerlin

Now the qataris have invested in PSG, there is no more riots or violence. The bad thing is the atmosphere during the games is kind of boring.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies