• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rip off Ireland - We are still too exspensive!!!!

bluefish

Prices prices fallling.

Thats what they want you to beleive.

But why then are we still paying too much?

Just returned to Ireland from the UK.

ASDA are selling Brand new Laptops for £200

Sun News paper 20p Ireland well over a euro.

LCD 32 inch telly, Morrissons £250.

Home pc, flatscreen monitor and printer £299 morrisons.

SKY TV far cheaper in the UK, and yet prices here and in the UK are set to rise.

Everything in Ireland is a rip off, and yes whilst some prices are falling, some are going up, and even those that fall we are still more exspensive than our closest neighbour.

Why are we so much more exspensive?

peader odonnell

Im amazed when i read of falling prices ,not around here anyway.Now i read that petrol prices are down ,so how come taxi fares have gone up so much?

Cael

It all comes down to the fact that land is massively too expensive in Ireland for business to run economically. Of course, NAMA is set up to make sure land stays too expensive for business to run efficiently.

hammer

So bloody what ?

We`re more expensive than Poland, Spain....................>>

Do you want everyone bar public service to work for the EU average pay scale. Well if you do enjoy the 35% cut in your wages. If you are unemployed - enjoy the 55% cut.

EamonnZ

So bloody what ?

We`re more expensive than Poland, Spain....................>>

Do you want everyone bar public service to work for the EU average pay scale. Well if you do enjoy the 35% cut in your wages. If you are unemployed - enjoy the 55% cut.
Because we are consistently told that prices are tumbling every day via some media outlet, yet they omit basic food stapels like brand and milk. I'm sorry, buying a 12 pack of crisps and getting one free is not and should not be taken into account in my opinion. Last time I checked, it was all the "goodies" in the supermarkets is where I have seen price cuts, so what does that imply, we eat the wrong foods and add to another healh problem further down the road..

I'll quite happily take a 55% cut as you mention above but NOT while BASIC food is still at absurd prices. and that's only food... Petrol has gone up 20% since January, wheres the deflation in that?

Sorry, I don't buy luxury mansions or cars on a daily basis as these items seem to be dropping faster than the rest...

Seánod

It all comes down to the fact that land is massively too expensive in Ireland for business to run economically. Of course, NAMA is set up to make sure land stays too expensive for business to run efficiently.
I agree with this totally. On another subject, myself and a friend of mine recently spent 10 days travelling down the west coast of Ireland. We definitely noticed two trends and mindsets on our travels: the out and out gombeen on one hand, who charged as much as he could for bed and breakfast and barely grunted when taking your money, and on the other hand a ... how should I put it, say more christian (with a small c) and reasonable person, who couldn't do enough for you, and who was really friendly and reasonably priced.

We need to starve the gombeen of any income.

hammer

Beware the spinners.
Beware the media agenda.

When mortgage interest starts to rise we will get the true picture.

The 5.9% refers to an "average person" - if you get a chance to look at what the average person spends you will be amazed. There are very few "average" people in REAL LIFE.

midlander12

I would say things are about the same price as last year, the only thing I've noticed marginally cheaper is meat in supermarkets i.e. real meat as opposed to processed own-brand s***. I occasionally even stretch to buying a roast now, such a luxury in this 'agricultural' country!

mcdonald douglas

Lets forget all the Independence nonsense that delivered nothing and re-join the UK.Nationalism and "independence" is a broken promise.Goodbye to the failed Dail and wasteful Senate.The Independence experiment is declared a failure.

ballot stuffer

Ive definatly noticed cheaper options in the supermarkets these days. Full Loaf of bread for 50c is unheard of even a year ago.

hammer

Hey lets have really cheap prices and no-one working, because we are definitely heading down that road.

TESCO my boll ix

the king

The Irish are really stupid to put up with this, then again...

Ecoguy

An article on Newstalk late this week exposed the falling prices sham and compared prices to where they were during the height of the boom in 2006. Prices for eating out, pubs, package holidays, food etc. are all higher some by as much as 15% making us still the second most expensive country in Europe. 7 Euro for a pint bottle of cider in Temple Bar FFS, No wonder tourism has collapsed - who in their right mind would come here, not for good value or the weather thats for sure:mad:

PS: This was further highlighted by a good piece on tourism in Portugal were you can get 5 drinks for less than 8 Euro in many places plus nearly 3 hours of one to one horse riding lessons for 15 euro, and the weather etc.!!:rolleyes:

hammer

Dont trust anything the Irish media says.

It is all spin. Big business & Govt have an agenda.

Drive wages down and drive social welfare payments / pensions / child care DOWN.

According to the Brains.....it improves competitiveness.

It does but it means a lot of people who are working just surviving and a huge 550,000 on the live register................MINUMUM

Aces up

Prices prices fallling.

SKY TV far cheaper in the UK, and yet prices here and in the UK are set to rise.

Everything in Ireland is a rip off, and yes whilst some prices are falling, some are going up, and even those that fall we are still more exspensive than our closest neighbour.

Yea ! but have you not signed on? the dole here is brilliant. I guarantee

you'll be able to afford all those items in no time on the dole here.

b.a. baracus

Prices prices fallling.

If you were charged for spelling and grammar errors you would be in the poor house sipping thin gruel.