• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rip-off Ireland, yet again!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
A camera in Argos, available in the North for £78.29 : link
The same camera in Argos.ie for €119.99 : link
At the time of posting, this equates to £104.49 sterling.

I think it's our patriotic duty to boycott such un-patriotic ripoffs and head north! :mad: :mad:

G

Gimpanzee

I think it's our patriotic duty to boycott such un-patriotic ripoffs and head north! :mad: :mad:
You'd have to know what the exchange rate was when the Catalog was compiled - almost certainly done when sterling was stronger.

wysiwyg

Ok for you, you live in Donegal... you'd need to be saving a few more bob to make it worth travelling from Tipp... and anyway.. buy off Ebay, get it cheaper again

H.R. Haldeman

Rip off Ireland is on its last legs. People have rumbled the scamming that has been going on and will not indulge piss-taking sellers anymore. In my opinion, we are going to see serious price drops in almost everything in the coming year. You already see it in supermarkets with all the 2-for-1 and 33% off offers. I expect the same on everything from cameras to cars to houses to plasma TVs to meals out to pints to flowers, whatever.

seabhcan

Rip off Ireland is on its last legs. People have rumbled the scamming that has been going on and will not indulge piss-taking sellers anymore. In my opinion, we are going to see serious price drops in almost everything in the coming year. You already see it in supermarkets with all the 2-for-1 and 33% off offers. I expect the same on everything from cameras to cars to houses to plasma TVs to meals out to pints to flowers, whatever.
There are already reasonably good sales on in the shops. Did my christmas shopping for about 100 less than last year.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Checking a few things at random, the entire Argos catalogue seems to be priced as if a euro = 66.6p

This was done in the last few months when the euro was closer to 80p. Now it's over 87p.
Catalogs can't change with fluctuating currencies, but people can!

seabhcan

Checking a few things at random, the entire Argos catalogue seems to be priced as if a euro = 66.6p

This was done in the last few months when the euro was closer to 80p. Now it's over 87p.
Some of the UK shops in the south price on the basis of a €:55p rate, which hasn't been true since 2003.

Aindriu

No but Argos can start sales and reduce prices in accordance with the current exchange rates can't they? I know of 2 people that have taken goods back to Argos here and are heading north to buy the same items there.

seabhcan

I've had an idea for a website bouncing around in my head for a while.

A kind of wikipedia for prices. Users would enter the price and location they bought a particular item. The item would be categorised by type, etc.

When you wanted to buy something, you could search for the best price. You could also enter a long list of items (your weekly shopping list) and it would tell you the best place over all)

Whats holding me back is I can't think of a way to keep it accurate. You don't wan't vandals or the shops themselves editing the prices.

Iarmhi Gael

A kind of wikipedia for prices. Users would enter the price and location they bought a particular item. The item would be categorised by type, etc.

When you wanted to buy something, you could search for the best price. You could also enter a long list of items (your weekly shopping list) and it would tell you the best place over all)

Whats holding me back is I can't think of a way to keep it accurate. You don't wan't vandals or the shops themselves editing the prices.
Good Idea - I like it....

I would just get a product - mention its discription and show where it can be bought for the cheapest... Up to the registered users to compile and control - Like Wikipedia

peader odonnell

thats great for those that live near the border,try being in south kerry.

jmcc

It is doable but the main task would be the collection and processing of the data. This isn't the kind of work that mickey mouse web developers do and it would require experienced database administrators and the even rarer expertise of Supercrunchers. (I think that a handful of p.ie members might have some experience in that area.)

The key is to design the system and site so that it is almost self-updating. If you can get data feeds it makes it a lot easier. Then you just have to process the data feeds to ensure that they conform with the database structure. The database schema for such a simple site is actually quite simple. The complex part is optimising the queries and ensuring that the updates can be rolled out easily. This would involve having at least three databases at any given time.

Regards...jmcc

seabhcan

It is doable but the main task would be the collection and processing of the data. This isn't the kind of work that mickey mouse web developers do and it would require experienced database administrators and the even rarer expertise of Supercrunchers. (I think that a handful of p.ie members might have some experience in that area.)

The key is to design the system and site so that it is almost self-updating. If you can get data feeds it makes it a lot easier. Then you just have to process the data feeds to ensure that they conform with the database structure. The database schema for such a simple site is actually quite simple. The complex part is optimising the queries and ensuring that the updates can be rolled out easily. This would involve having at least three databases at any given time.

Regards...jmcc
Interesting. I've never worked with databases myself.

By "data feeds" do you mean getting the shops to provide accurate price data?

The OD

Cheers for that, I'm off to make a mint off your idea.....

Bobert

Seab, have a word with Ibis.

hiding behind a poster

Likewise, I saw a digital photo frame for 149.99 Euro in the Argos catalogue here, with a sale price bringing it down to about 112. Meanwhile I can get the exact same item in Argos in Belfast for 69.99STG, which translates as about 83 Euro. As it happens I'm in Belfast tomorrow, and my route in takes me straight past an Argos. Guess what.... :lol:

Bobert

Sell it to you for 5k...