RIP Sir Ken Dodd 1927-2018

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Last edited:

Mitsui2

RIP ken ... diddie men will never have the same meaning
I can't say I've many actually happy memories of listening to Dodd but he was one of the last great professionals in a long line which his passing will essentially extinguish.

I saw him interviewed a few times on the history of English popular entertainment and it was very obvious that he had an encyclopaedic knowledge of it stretching back literally centuries.

He wasn't my cup of tea as an entertainer but as an expert in a field that has given me much pleasure I thought he was an enormous asset to the field.

Plus he was famous - over many decades and changes in fashion - as a dedicated encourager of the young and upcoming.

RIP

Ardillaun

A few weeks ago, I was wondering if he was dead. You have been warned.

He was a strange bird, a bit old-fashioned even in his heyday. In the male, hair dye and dignity part company at some point. I enjoyed the Diddymen as a kid, though.

Last edited:

Levellers

Besides being another bluffer in the entertainment business alongside the likes of Forsyth he was not a nice person in real life.

Seems like the usual sheep will overlook anything if the person is famous.

eoghanacht

Thankfully Ken only diddled his tax's, unlike other personalities of his vintage who liked to fiddle kids with the BBC turning a blind eye.

theloner

Jamie Carragher will be pleased.

Franzoni

I thought he died years ago.....i had him mixed up with Rod Hull who fell off the roof fixing the aerial....

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
Comedy and its practioners will evoke different reactions from every individual. Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor would certainly be favourites of mine, but though Ken Dodd would have been out of my cultural orbit most of the time, I appreciate his unique genius for comedy and outstanding career.
Loved this quip he made, courtesy of a contributor in todays Guardian reacting to the news of his death.
Ken persuaded a sporting Journalist that when Jorgen Klopp was appointed Manager of Liverpool F.C that his grown up family were coming with him to live in Liverpool including his daughter Killipety ......:cool::cool:

Old Mr Grouser

He was a great favouritr of Mrs Thatcher.

He was one of the old school. He'd learnt his trade working in Music Halls and similar.

[video=youtube;BSQTZ0soj7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSQTZ0soj7M[/video]

A view from England

I thought he died years ago.....i had him mixed up with Rod Hull who fell off the roof fixing the aerial....
Rod Hull had tied a rope around his wife's car bumper then around himself as a safety line whilst working on the roof. Trouble was he forgot to tell his wife.

SEAMAI

Perhaps I was too young at the time, but never understood his popularity.
Me neither (and I'm not that young). I can remember as a kid seeing guys like Ken Dodd, Tommy Cooper and Harry Worth on TV and wondering by everyone was laughing.

General Urko

A man when brought up before the courts on charges related to tax issues and claimed accountancy to him was a mysterious science, won his case and eventually became knighted has got to have the cap doffed to him!

RIP

There is a very very locally famous and well known Galway Family called 'Dodd' and given he's from Liverpool, did he have Irish Connections?petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies