RIP Tam Dalyell

Cruimh

Saddened to read of the death of Tam Dalyell - one of the last of the great parliamentarians. Cranky, stubborn and principled. Modern politicians just don't compare.

Former Labour MP Tam Dalyell dies - BBC News

The former MP Tam Dalyell has died at the age of 84 after a short illness.
He sat in the House of Commons from 1962 to 2005, representing West Lothian and Linlithgow for Labour.
Mr Dalyell became known for his formulation of the "West Lothian Question" about the role of Scottish MPs after the establishment of the Scottish parliament.
His family said in a tribute that he had made an enormous contribution and "devoted his life" to public service.

diaspora-mick

Saddened to read of the death of Tam Dalyell - one of the last of the great parliamentarians. Cranky, stubborn and principled. Modern politicians just don't compare.

Former Labour MP Tam Dalyell dies - BBC News
"On the sweaty summer evening when I watched Glenn Barr, the Ulster Protestant leader, and his Ulstermen’s reed pipe band, making its way along Linlithgow High Street … I believed – and still believe – that it is much better for Scotland to be fully part of Britain and not to be hived off as an inward-looking community as in Northern Ireland ...”

Independence now inevitable, says Dalyell - The Scotsman

Vega1447

Principled me eye.

He wasted most of his political energy in opposing the access of his country to self-determination.

A useful idiot for England.

Fritzbox

Mr Dalyell, who made a name for himself through his tenacious arguments against devolution, believes the creation of Holyrood meant it was unavoidable Scottish politicians would want to grab more powers for the parliament.
Independence now inevitable, says Dalyell - The Scotsman

I'd be curious to know how many people in Scotland are actually opposed to Scottish devolution nowadays? It's been almost 18 years now since the beginning of the Scottish parliament.

TheWolf

A rare attribute.

I wish we had even one - he/should would stand out like a beacon.
Most Irish aren't interested in having principled politicians.
I doubt they know what one is.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Anyone who had the pleasure of that baritone timbre would be wafted back to the Learig Bar, Bo'ness, preferably in the days before the 1962 West Lothian by-election.

Everyone in sight knew that "Black Tam" would take it easily. His worthy Scot Nat opponent was Billy Wolfe. Both were — in their different ways — noble figures. They were a crucial decade apart in years.

William Wolfe had a background as an owner and manager in heavy metal-bashing industry. Wolfe had had "a good war".

Tam was Old Etonian, Cambridge University, and would inherit his mother's family baronetcy, and become Sir Thomas of the Binns. Tam had learned as a squaddie in National Service to relate to the lower orders.

Even so, in many ways, they were both men of a kind.

After an evening of canvassing the plebs, all and sundry would gravitate to the Learig Bar. Lesser, lower beings and bag-carriers hugged their pints of heavy and looked on.

If you hunt hard enough, long enough, you may yet find The Ballad of the Learig Bar, with the chorus:
Billy Woolf will win, will win,
Billy Woolf will win.
He didn't. But it was a great effort all round.

Now both Billy and Black Tam are gone. We shall not see their likes again.
Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

Last edited:

Nemesiscorporation

automaticforthepeople

I respect him for pursuing Thatcher over the Belgrano. Every nation needs a parliamentarian who lifts the lid on those who ride to power covered in blood.

toconn

So you think we should only respect those we agree with?
You are inneed correct in your comment . I never agreed with Dalyell on many things but I admired him nevertheless no matter . A man to share a pint with .

Mitsui2

A rare attribute.

I wish we had even one - he/should would stand out like a beacon.
That's the reason Noel Browne always got re-elected no matter what position he took - his early demonstration of utter principle struck home over generations.

in terms of effectiveness, of course, he was "naturally" struck right out of court.

Vega1447

So you think we should only respect those we agree with?
What principle underpins a man's determination to oppose self-determination for his country?

Aristodemus

That's the reason Noel Browne always got re-elected no matter what position he took - his early demonstration of utter principle struck home over generations.

in terms of effectiveness, of course, he was "naturally" struck right out of court.
Have never understood the "love" for Browne. I always considered him an opportunist who flitted about between parties always looking for an opportunity. Come to think of it, is there any political party that he didn't belong to at some stage?

New Threads

Most Replies