• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Rise in youth anti-social behaviour/gangs?

Fr. Hank Tree

I don't have a link here and the question mark is significant.

But has anyone else noticed a general rise in the numbers of youth gangs hanging around, loitering and being generally anti-social to varying degrees.

I hear about it a lot anecdotally from my own home down the country where it's becoming a problem but I also see it a lot of it up in Dublin for myself. I also went canvassing recently in a not-shabby area and it came up on one or two of the doorsteps.

Obviously there has always been young people around in groups but it seems to me to have increased as a problem. I think it may be linked to Garda resources too which I know is becoming a bigger issue.

Perhaps i'm wrong or imagining things but would be interested to see if people feel the same way.

HenryHorace

No. If anything playstations, arsebook, internet etc.. has them staying indoors more now than ever.

Dame_Enda

Some people in my area have been evicted and arrested lately. Are they part of gangs I dont know. But I recall one of these incidents occurred on the same day that the local paper mentioned a car chase after a Post Office was broken into.

cunnyfunt

Broken homes, lack of active fathers, loss of faith along with its morals, snowflakery when it comes to discipline, failure of state governance and the judiciary, negative aspects of social media and the net, breakdown of national identity including a lack of community and the concept of shared values, welfare escape route, all tied together with a good sense of entitlement and a genuine lack of fear make a certain sizeable percentage of teens and teen gangs a giant snowball of menace for most western societies into the future.

Fun fun fun lies ahead.

Buchaill Dana

Broken homes, lack of active fathers, loss of faith along with its morals, snowflakery when it comes to discipline, failure of state governance and the judiciary, negative aspects of social media and the net, breakdown of national identity including a lack of community and the concept of shared values, welfare escape route, all tied together with a good sense of entitlement and a genuine lack of fear make a certain sizeable percentage of teens and teen gangs a giant snowball of menace for most western societies into the future.

Fun fun fun lies ahead.
Yet crime is down across the board. Funny that.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

But has anyone else noticed a general rise in the numbers of youth gangs hanging around, loitering and being generally anti-social to varying degrees.

I hear about it a lot anecdotally from my own home down the country where it's becoming a problem but I also see it a lot of it up in Dublin for myself. I also went canvassing recently in a not-shabby area and it came up on one or two of the doorsteps.

Obviously there has always been young people around in groups but it seems to me to have increased as a problem. I think it may be linked to Garda resources too which I know is becoming a bigger issue.

Perhaps i'm wrong or imagining things but would be interested to see if people feel the same way.
I think it's probably less of a problem in sheer numbers now but it stands out more giving the opposite impression? I can only go by what I read in the press. I'm not in Ireland much these days. I don't recall large scale riots for the fun of it back in the 90's and 80's.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Lagertha

Crime or ''recorded crime''? I recall the local head cop losing the plot when questioned why several major robberies weren't recorded in the published stastics. Robberies in my town increased, rape/sexual assault numbers are up around the country. The media refuse to mention that the crime gangs that are being targeted in operation Thor are Travelers. Yeah, sounds like you aren't paying attention, your usual head in the sand snow flakery.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I can't recall heavily pregnant women being told that they'd be cut open and have their babies murdered in front of them in the street, or gangs walking into shops and taking what they want or ethnic minorities stealing diggers to steal ATM machines from garages. Then again, the population didn't include many African youths and Travelers weren't a protected species.
Yes, because they now stand out more. I wonder what the stats on violence actually say though, despite appearances.

cunnyfunt

Its not. But it has replaced gun crime.

Here comes the krazy. Facts dont matter
Replaced gun crime.......Why? Accessibility. This is a success story in your depraved world. Teens have switched away from evil guns to murder their victims, and have chosen a much less violent way to kill people. TEENS both killing and being killed in record numbers are not an issue for some it seems. Krazy alright....

Even IF I took the time to produce all the factual evidence of spiraling crime and anti-social behaviour, you'd dismiss it ......so I'll save myself the time.

You're a dreamer. You appear to see society and its issues how you'd like things to be as opposed to how they actually are.

Lagertha

APettigrew92

When British soldiers were distributed steel helmets during WW1, there was a disturbing spike in head injuries.

Injuries. Mainly due to the fact that the soldiers whose skulls were being shredded by shrapnel were now surviving their injuries rather than dying outright.

A drop in crime is not indicative of success in law and order. Often it can be a reflection of a lack thereof.

Degeneration X

No things are remarkably peaceable which is shocking as the effects of a severe recession\breakdown of traditional societal structures normally lead to a rise in violent and senseless crime.

Degeneration X

Largely true, things were much more violent in my parents day, if what they say is accurate.

Bear in mind though a lot of crime is online now and you're more likely to have your wallet skimmed by a device than be pick pocketed.

Not sure how on top of cyber crime modern day cops are.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

roc_

I think it's probably less of a problem in sheer numbers now but it stands out more giving the opposite impression? I can only go by what I read in the press. I'm not in Ireland much these days. I don't recall large scale riots for the fun of it back in the 90's and 80's.
I do. I well remember wandering often marauding teen gangs swinging bags of cans causing mayhem of one sort or another every second night or so. Low level stuff that I suppose wasn't deemed worthy of much notice back then. Stuff like beaten up kids who crossed their path, car break-ins, the odd shop robbery, some vandalism, roaring and shouting, sleeping tablets washed down with flagons, intimidation of locals, that kind of thing. Occasionally, yes, pretty large scale two gangs going off at each other etc. That was out in the suburbs. In Dublin itself, there were similar gangs, with perhaps a "crazier" edge. Around this time the Dublin late teenage street gangs were at the forefront of such innovations as the "double bladed Stanley" attack (to ensure permanent scarring), and I believe syringe hold-ups were also a Dublin innovation. Strangely enough now you wouldn't find an African in these gangs you might think to blame for it.

Popular Threads

Most Replies