Rising Inequality, the Decline of Democracy, and Trump's election -- in a Whiteboard Animimation

EUrJokingMeRight

Really the presentation is for simpletons, let's be honest. And gullible simpletons at that.

GabhaDubh

It was only 7 years ago on November 8 2010 when President Obama espoused his mantra of the “New Normal” that American’s should get use to high unemployment. This defeatist mindset is Un-American and planted the seeds of Popularism (I am not saying Trumpism). Owedtojoy talks about the Democrats swing to the Left, the party is in the mist of a war right now between the Left and Progressive’s. Omitted from this description is the Democrat Party itself, members who are middle of the road. I have come to know a lot of them, primarily American Irish, married with children who are motivated by equality of the whole.

NYCKY

Didn't the Democrats in Vermont want to introduce a single payer system but backed down when voters realised that they would have to be paying substantially higher taxes?
Yup, that idea in Vermont, died quickly and quietly. It actually led to the election of a Republican Governor in Vermont last November.

Finbar10

Really the presentation is for simpletons, let's be honest. And gullible simpletons at that.
Yet any of the criticisms I've seen of it so far in this thread have just nitpicked around some of the edge details (some good points were indeed made but IMO they don't really get at the broad thrust of this argument). Or the motives of Reich have been questioned (fair enough, but I'm more interested in the content). Or there have been some sweeping lazy personal statements like your own (common fare for p.ie I guess). However, I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to pick major holes in Reich's broad picture (I can actually think of possible objections but I don't think they bear up to scrutiny). Increasing income inequality for the majority in the US since the 1970s and its consequences is an interesting and complex topic. But surely it can't be that hard to take down this simpleton-level presentation? ;)

owedtojoy

Yes, when someone points out "The King is naked" when he is naked, wasn't there the courtiers crying out "No No it's just that his clothes are too gorgeous to be seen by ordinary gullible simpletons"?

owedtojoy

Yet any of the criticisms I've seen of it so far in this thread have just nitpicked around some of the edge details (some good points were indeed made but IMO they don't really get at the broad thrust of this argument). Or the motives of Reich have been questioned (fair enough, but I'm more interested in the content). Or there have been some sweeping lazy personal statements like your own (common fare for p.ie I guess). However, I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to pick major holes in Reich's broad picture (I can actually think of possible objections but I don't think they bear up to scrutiny). Increasing income inequality for the majority in the US since the 1970s and its consequences is an interesting and complex topic. But surely it can't be that hard to take down this simpleton-level presentation? ;)
No one has taken it down, because in the main it is true.

Maybe it is just Thomas Piketty for Dummies.

owedtojoy

It was only 7 years ago on November 8 2010 when President Obama espoused his mantra of the “New Normal” that American’s should get use to high unemployment. This defeatist mindset is Un-American and planted the seeds of Popularism (I am not saying Trumpism). Owedtojoy talks about the Democrats swing to the Left, the party is in the mist of a war right now between the Left and Progressive’s. Omitted from this description is the Democrat Party itself, members who are middle of the road. I have come to know a lot of them, primarily American Irish, married with children who are motivated by equality of the whole.
Democrats can go into 2018 in a optimistic frame of mind, having won the Virginia gubernatorial race by an increased majority, and won a Senate seat in Alabama.

Finbar10

No one has taken it down, because in the main it is true.

Maybe it is just Thomas Piketty for Dummies.
Yeah, that sounds about right! IMO it gets its arguments across very nicely (assuming the target is the typical US voter who has no idea who Piketty is). :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45466

It's well put together, and impressive - all of those illustrations are - subject doesn't matter, they look cool. Yer man, the Irish mystic meg economist does a shed load of them on his youtube channel. I did note that Reich didn't mention the Vietnam war, 70s oil crises, removal of the gold standard, and the advent of fiat currency. Surely they played a vital role in the decline of America, and income equality?

I'm not qualified to comment on the intricacies of economics/money, but broadly speaking, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know.

The system is "rigged". For sure, but you'll hear that being uttered amongst prince and pauper, but history keeps repeating itself.

GabhaDubh

Democrats can go into 2018 in a optimistic frame of mind, having won the Virginia gubernatorial race by an increased majority, and won a Senate seat in Alabama.
Agreed, but the harsh reality is that the tally of Governorship are 34 Republican, 15 Democrat and 1 Indendent. Doug Jones gain maybe short lived as there is only 2 years left on that particular Senatorial term.

Analyzer

Reich served in the Clinton Administration as Secretary for Labour (1993-97) at a time when NAFTA was passed.
And China was brought into the WTO. And the GATT agreement was signed that resuled in a wave of outsourcing.

RR IS a key contributor to this.

His current stance is like a sanctimonious speech from Mickey Martin.

Mick Mac

That's the nub
The left versus progressives.

The left represented by Sanders - willing to point out mass migration is a Koch brothers wet dream, willing to say identity politics has gone off the rails and is blind to reality.

And in the other side you're the pelosi wing, the progressives who love big donors, will ride every identity politics item, still cover up for deviant congressmen,, and who absolutely won't say to the Koch brothers why are you so passionate about mass immigration.

As Steve Bannon said the democrats are having their civil war now. The oddity is that because trump is so rough we're all supposed to just say every democrat is a beautiful being when half of them are a shower of rich shytes who did sweet f all for the American working class.

Whatever about trump that still stands.

Degeneration X

That's the nub

The left represented by Sanders - willing to point out mass migration is a Koch brothers wet dream, willing to say identity politics has gone off the rails and is blind to reality.

And in the other side you're the pelosi wing, the progressives who love big donors, will ride every identity politics item, still cover up for deviant congressmen,, and who absolutely won't say to the Koch brothers why are you so passionate about mass immigration.

As Steve Bannon said the democrats are having their civil war now. The oddity is that because trump is so rough we're all supposed to just say every democrat is a beautiful being when half of them are a shower of rich shytes who did sweet f all for the American working class.

Whatever about trump that still stands.
I wouldn't call Pelosi a Progressive, she's more like a pro-abortion Republican!

Mick Mac

I wouldn't call Pelosi a Progressive, she's more like a pro-abortion Republican!
"Progressive" : someone who thinks there left wing but doesn't do SFA for the working class although they'll be there for the identity politics hug in.

GabhaDubh

That's the nub
Trying to figure out the optics of De Blasio having Bernie swear him for the second term. Is De Blasio plotting a Presidential run?

Degeneration X

"Progressive" : someone who thinks there left wing but doesn't do SFA for the working class although they'll be there for the identity politics hug in.
I think Progressive is usually used to describe the likes of Bernie and Tulsi Gabbard.

Pelosi, Schumer et al are described as Corporate Democrats or Establishment Democrats.

RasherHash

It's well put together, and impressive - all of those illustrations are - subject doesn't matter, they look cool. Yer man, the Irish mystic meg economist does a shed load of them on his youtube channel. I did note that Reich didn't mention the Vietnam war, 70s oil crises, removal of the gold standard, and the advent of fiat currency. Surely they played a vital role in the decline of America, and income equality?

I'm not qualified to comment on the intricacies of economics/money, but broadly speaking, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know.

The system is "rigged". For sure, but you'll hear that being uttered amongst prince and pauper, but history keeps repeating itself.
I remember hearing that in the 1950s US people were only allowed earn a maximum of 1 million dollars (that would be 10 million today) as a measure of their patriotism, perhaps something like this should be brought in?

Notachipanoaktree

There's a particularly nice whiteboard animation doing the rounds at the moment on twitter by Robert Reich (he has quite a few more in a similar vein over on www.inequalitymedia.org).

This one really nicely outlines relative equality in the US after the war, the breakdown of this post-war consensus and increasing inequality from about the 1970s onwards, culminating in the recent crash with its bailouts for the 1%, the subsequent anger, Trump, and where do we go from here.

[video=youtube;gSlHVZpNxMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gSlHVZpNxMM[/video]

IMO this whiteboard animation very nicely and accurately captures (in a concise 6 minutes) the inequality and anger that culminated in Trump in the US.

So, P.iesters, accurate narrative or more anti-Trump begrudgery? :)
As with everything else the 2000ies or millipedes or whatever the hell the nasty spoilt pups call themselves, it's because of Rising Inequality, the Decline of Democracy, brought on by your bad self serving selves that Trump is and will thrive and prosper. k.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies