Road Deaths

cobra

Twitter
dont do twittering nonsense
Anyone correlated deaths to the increase in the number of cars on the road to the so called figures
trotted out by the "authority for transport " or whatever there called this week ??
Huge numbers of imports. Approx 80000 Plus the 160000 domestically over taxed registered here.
Great if you work for one of these useless quangos. A job for doing nothing
Won't change the numbers.
Darwin Rules.
Stupid People will possibly kill themselves. Hopefully not others.

Last edited:

statsman

statsman

JimmyFoley

A bit of an up since 2012, right enough. I found a Wikipedia page that shows how we're doing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_road_traffic_accidents_deaths_in_Republic_of_Ireland_by_year

But it's still a vast improvement on the 67s/70s/80s/90s. Largely, I believe. do th changing attitudes on drink driving. Someone needs to tell the Healy-Raes.
Better roads and far safer cars must help as well.

I remember as a child bouncing around on the back seat of a Cambridge. Seat belts weren't a thing. My dad would be peering at the road through his pipe smoke as he tried to keep us safe.

Man or Mouse

There were 640 road deaths in 1972, as far as I know the worst year ever. 188 last year, and 97 this year to August 1st. So yes, it's just your imagination.

Given how many more vehicles there are on the roads now than there were in 1972, I'd say the RSA are doing a decent job, on balance.
Better roads and better vehicles must have a bearing also.

statsman

Better roads and far safer cars must help as well.

I remember as a child bouncing around on the back seat of a Cambridge. Seat belts weren't a thing. My dad would be peering at the road through his pipe smoke as he tried to keep us safe.
Seatbelts, the NCT, drink driving laws, driver education, theory tests, better legislation on L plate driver behaviour: the nanny stat is killing us all.

TheField

There's a balance between narrow bendy rural roads and motorways. I'm not convinced that road widening and straightening of regional roads makes them safer as people simply drive faster and overtake more. Bit like in cities, there's a move back to engineering urban streets so that they are awkward to drive on, with obstacles. Forces motorists to slow down and take care of their shiny steeds.

silverharp

A bit of an up since 2012, right enough. I found a Wikipedia page that shows how we're doing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_road_traffic_accidents_deaths_in_Republic_of_Ireland_by_year

But it's still a vast improvement on the 67s/70s/80s/90s. Largely, I believe. do th changing attitudes on drink driving. Someone needs to tell the Healy-Raes.

do you have evidence for that? more likely its down to a combination of better roads, a more grown up attitude to driver safety, better quality cars, most cars didn't have rear seat belts in the early 70's for example, congestion itself and of course drink driving

firefly123

even in the years since ive been a firefighter I've seen the difference in vehicles. people walk away from astonishing damage to their vehicles now whereas before they would be pulped. I mean there is only so much that can be done but cars these days are incredible with all the hidden protections that spring into action during a crash. the only problem for us is that if they don't spring into action and then do by accident when we are getting someone out if the vehicle.

Another factor might be better outcomes when RTA victims are hospitalized.

silverharp

even in the years since ive been a firefighter I've seen the difference in vehicles. people walk away from astonishing damage to their vehicles now whereas before they would be pulped. I mean there is only so much that can be done but cars these days are incredible with all the hidden protections that spring into action during a crash. the only problem for us is that if they don't spring into action and then do by accident when we are getting someone out if the vehicle.
in case you think you have seen it all

silverharp

I bet that's a mini or a fiat 500. Oh, and an annoying stumble and grunt behind the wheel...
a manlet for sure, would be almost amusing to see the airbag go off and have his face embedded with his lucky charms

statsman

[/B]

do you have evidence for that? more likely its down to a combination of better roads, a more grown up attitude to driver safety, better quality cars, most cars didn't have rear seat belts in the early 70's for example, congestion itself and of course drink driving
The decision to go from 80mg to 50mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres was made in 2008, and got a lot of publicity. Have a look at the deaths numbers post 2007.

silverharp

The decision to go from 80mg to 50mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres was made in 2008, and got a lot of publicity. Have a look at the deaths numbers post 2007.
there was a recession in the meantime too, all the boyos in Donegal fcked off to Australia. you would have to take general demographics into account also, average age of drivers is going up

New Threads

Most Replies