• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Road fatalities

Samell

Why, after a couple of years of lower road death figures has it all gone pear shaped this year? I don't think there has been a day where I have not heard 'such and such a road is closed due to incident/technical investigation' or 'x people were killed in a collision'

What are people doing wrong here?

Come on cop on and take care on our roads, they may not be in the greatest condition but use a bit of common sense and look after yourselves.

Rural

I would love to see a same concerned thread about the over 600 a year who kill themselves in this country,

I do agree about taking care on the roads (i have been criticised for staying within the speed limit).

eoghanacht

I always wondered why we fixated on road deaths when there are more people committing suicide per year for a decade or so than die on the roads

Grumpy Jack

I would love to see a same concerned thread about the over 600 a year who kill themselves in this country,

I do agree about taking care on the roads (i have been criticised for staying within the speed limit).
There is a theory that there may be a connection between the two.

julieandrews

Presume you mean the fatal crash on the N4 last night? I'm from around there and that stretch of the road is supposed to be one of the most dangerous in the country and has always been notorious as long as I can remember. 29 people in total have died on the road in that spot and white crosses have been erected along the roadside there in their memory and to try to warm motorists.

Even though this stretch has been notorious for years, nothing was done about it during the celtic tiger years when new motorways were being built and roads upgraded in other parts of the country. The usual 'the west doesn't matter/exist' story I'm afraid.

Hitch 22

Why, after a couple of years of lower road death figures has it all gone pear shaped this year? I don't think there has been a day where I have not heard 'such and such a road is closed due to incident/technical investigation' or 'x people were killed in a collision'

What are people doing wrong here?

Come on cop on and take care on our roads, they may not be in the greatest condition but use a bit of common sense and look after yourselves.
I think car accident pictures should be published in the newspapers to frighten people into realizing what happens in accidents.

Last edited:

Rural

1 in 3 women is smoking too despite years and year and YEARS of telling them of the consequences for their health.

Obesity is on the rise as well despite the benefits of eating healthy and exercise being obvious.

I think the ads on the telly and in the papers and the cinema have to become openly abusive toward these people and we need to have shows that humiliate people who drive dangerously, smoke, overeat and so on.

It has to be really nasty.
I'll answer you when I finish this fag.:)

Prester Jim

On back roads or non motorway roads, please do stay within the limit; in fact I think it should be reduced on many back roads where they twist and turn like Bertie's moral compass. 100 is too much for many roads, simple as that.
However, 120 is too slow for the excellent motorways we have and you probably should be arrested if you go any slower than 110kph on such a road.

Grumpy Jack

Yes I know, single car fatality can be someone killing themselves, so the figure of 600 goes right up.
And would explain what appears to be an increase in road deaths when the trend has been in the opposite direction.

Astral Peaks

I think car accident pictures should be published in the newspapers to frighten people into realizing what happens in accidents.
They are!

Copiously.

General Mayhem

Yes indeed, let's increase the fear factor a bit more, that'll solve it!

Is there anything left at all that IS fun and is NOT 'dangerous'?

General Mayhem

And would explain what appears to be an increase in road deaths when the trend has been in the opposite direction.
A lot of the roads now are not being properly maintained, I suspect same goes for the cars. And the drivers.

deepness

I didnt meet one checkpoint over Xmas and have yet to meet someone who did. Not one and I live about 200 metres from a well known spot for the gardai. Havent met a checkpoint in months to be honest be it drink driving, tax, insurance, speed.

The only thing I see is gatso vans on motorways.

Prester Jim

Yes indeed, let's increase the fear factor a bit more, that'll solve it!

Is there anything left at all that IS fun and is NOT 'dangerous'?
Sex and ice cream.

Not together though that would be dangerous, you might get pneumonia.

tigerben

Any one who drives daily can only be surprised there isn't more accidents. Truck drivers commonly go around a round a bout on mobile phones.Drivers swinging out on to the fast lane with no indicators. Drivers knowing were they are turning of main roads and yet on the last minute have to career across two lanes to the slip road. Pulling out of minor roads with no worries how near the cars on the main road are.

onlyonpaper

Presume you mean the fatal crash on the N4 last night? I'm from around there and that stretch of the road is supposed to be one of the most dangerous in the country and has always been notorious as long as I can remember. 29 people in total have died on the road in that spot and white crosses have been erected along the roadside there in their memory and to try to warm motorists.

Even though this stretch has been notorious for years, nothing was done about it during the celtic tiger years when new motorways were being built and roads upgraded in other parts of the country. The usual 'the west doesn't matter/exist' story I'm afraid.
I agree 100%. Travelling the country there you can see that has been vast sums of money spent on roads and even now when everyone knows that money is scarse how that stretch of road is not a priority is disgraceful. We now have Death No. 30 on this road. There is no point in people talking about care and speed when you have a narrow road with endless side roads and blind corners. Also people are coming off a dual carriage way at one end and a fine wide road at the other and have to suddenly adjust to a section of 10-12 mls of third rate roadway. Lives in the West dont have the same value as in other parts of the country

Rural

There are roads hereabouts that have a limit of 80 Kmph, this is just a (stupid) suggestion, lads think it's an order.

Here's an example of an 80Kmph road around here.

Prester Jim