Robin Swann new UUP leader - who he?

Breanainn

All that's apparent from the various media profiles is that he's heavily involved in the Ulster Farmers' Association, and is a member of the "loyal orders", so would appear to be on the conservative wing of the party. Pity Doug Beattie didn't stand - he appeared to be making progressive noises on LGBT issues, the Irish language and broadening the appeal of unionism to Catholic voters, in recent weeks.

michael-mcivor

Another Unionist leader who will have to Swann for it-sorry swim for it after the next election-

GDPR

Local boy, for me (Ballymena) extremely hard-working, puts the N Coast first and foremost (tourism etc) and that means all of it, not just the PUL areas. Strategises cleverly to say the right things to keep the hard liners happy and then ignores them. Came from barely making the quota to get elected to cutting through the DUP like a knife - adding 2000 odd first preferences to his total and grabbing the seconds from both TUV and Alliance (that is some feat).

Stunning upset in N Antrim at the last election.

death or glory

He's a past leader of the Young Farmers Clubs of Ulster.

GDPR

A culchie bigot, just what Ulster needs so badly at the moment.

It demonstrates though the power that the Lodge retains over much of Political Unionism.

GDPR

A culchie bigot, just what Ulster needs so badly at the moment.

It demonstrates though the power that the Lodge retains over much of Political Unionism.
Well, no, I wouldn't agree with you there, but I think your knowledge of N I politics is pretty skimpy anyway - it has the smell of wiki about it. Lots of history - nothing much current.

The culchie bigots would be the TUV, despite the fact that their leader is a QC. The UUP in Antrim has always been "respectable farming class", so he would certainly be more typical of the constituency than "media Mike", very much a Belfast/North Down sort. Furthermore, at Council level etc they have always got on just fine with SF representatives - they dig each others cattle out of ditches.

Now Swann wouldn't be as liberal as Danny Kinnehan, for example, but he wouldn't be a Save Ulster from Sodomy sort either. These are very conservative with a small c areas, you know. Socially conservative. They think SSM is a Single Subsidy for Mulch.

What is interesting, and I remember discussing this on the boards before the Assembly Election to general scepticism from other posters is that N Antrim is by no means a DUP hegemony. Yes they are still a big party and of course very influential, but the Paisley Factor is dead. I know from talking to my neighbours, Prods were just about getting fed up with the f*arting around by the DUP at Stormont - they wanted action on jobs and services.

That's the kind of local knowledge you wouldn't have.

james toney

Let's hope he doesn't get bitter as it slips away.

midlander12

Well, no, I wouldn't agree with you there, but I think your knowledge of N I politics is pretty skimpy anyway - it has the smell of wiki about it. Lots of history - nothing much current.

The culchie bigots would be the TUV, despite the fact that their leader is a QC. The UUP in Antrim has always been "respectable farming class", so he would certainly be more typical of the constituency than "media Mike", very much a Belfast/North Down sort. Furthermore, at Council level etc they have always got on just fine with SF representatives - they dig each others cattle out of ditches.

Now Swann wouldn't be as liberal as Danny Kinnehan, for example, but he wouldn't be a Save Ulster from Sodomy sort either. These are very conservative with a small c areas, you know. Socially conservative. They think SSM is a Single Subsidy for Mulch.

What is interesting, and I remember discussing this on the boards before the Assembly Election to general scepticism from other posters is that N Antrim is by no means a DUP hegemony. Yes they are still a big party and of course very influential, but the Paisley Factor is dead. I know from talking to my neighbours, Prods were just about getting fed up with the f*arting around by the DUP at Stormont - they wanted action on jobs and services.

That's the kind of local knowledge you wouldn't have.
If you mentioned SSM where I live they'd assume you were talking whips and handcuffs or something like that.

d7bohs

Too late for a Swann now their goose is cooked...

Just Jack

Has he got sound army credentials?

Heard he was a volunteer and did time on the blanket, could just be rumours though.

Either way I hope he gets his act together and gets us an Irish Language Act.

Tiocfaidh ar la

death or glory

Has he got sound army credentials?

Heard he was a volunteer and did time on the blanket, could just be rumours though.

Either way I hope he gets his act together and gets us an Irish Language Act.

Tiocfaidh ar la
yes,
served his time in the security forces, firstly in the Ulster Defence Regiment then in the Royal Irish Regiment.
Ulster will remain British for ever.

Just Jack

yes,
served his time in the security forces, firstly in the Ulster Defence Regiment then in the Royal Irish Regiment.
A terrorist.

He won't be getting my vote.

death or glory

A terrorist.

He won't be getting my vote.
you're thicker than I thought, those were the security forces, the ones who protected the country and innocent people from the evil republican terrorist scum.
PS I don't actually know if he actually served in the security forces.

mac tíre

you're thicker than I thought, those were the security forces, the ones who protected the country and innocent people from the evil republican terrorist scum.
PS I don't actually know if he actually served in the security forces.
He's in the UUP, so there is a chance. Now, if he was in the DUP, that would be another matter. :D

vinoboy

The local taigs hated Irish language classes and said they needed a useful language for the modern world.
As I have previously said,I wish to see the language preserved and developed and funded appropriately.
This SF approach is using the language as a political weapon.

Commander of the North

yes,
So he has served his time in a paramilitary force then

michael-mcivor

yes,
if you change you name you are in pain-
B special / UDR / RIR / not allowed to be armed on our streets again-

death or glory

if you change you name you are in pain-
B special / UDR / RIR / not allowed to be armed on our streets again-
A big no need as your lot surrendered and handed over your weapons.
Losers.

New Threads

Most Replies