• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Robinson Calls for Reduction in Number of Government Departments and MLAs

picador

In a speech to the NI Federation of Small Business the First Minister said the numbr of governments departements should be cut from twelve to eight and the number of MLAs from 108 to 75.

Good idea - we are over-governed and over-represented!

UTV News - Robinson calls for smaller Stormont

Chrisco

In a speech to the NI Federation of Small Business the First Minister said the numbr of governments departements should be cut from twelve to eight and the number of MLAs from 108 to 75.

Interesting to note he's working on the assumption there'll only be 15 Westminster constituencies.

picador

Interesting to note he's working on the assumption there'll only be 15 Westminster constituencies.
Westminister will get the savings there. 3 sets of MP salaries plus expenses.

damon

What do all these MLA's do? Is it part of the process of paying people off by giving them careers?

Sinn Féin's MLA Alex Maskey said that the DUP in government "have continually failed the test time and again when it comes to streamlining government and cutting red tape".
He said that the current political structures were there "to guarantee inclusivity, equality and partnership at the heart of government".
I'm a bit ignorant as to what they do all the time - but I can understand the Sinn Fein desire for having larger numbers, as that does give them a critical mass (if that makes sense?)
They have 27 members at the moment I think. That is a large number of people - and it is difficult to marginalise them when they have that weight behind them. It's probably comforting to their Republican supporters too, to hear them being mentioned and speaking out in the media so often. And speaking out as an MLA gives it that much greater weight than just being a councillor.

Chrisco

What do all these MLA's do? Is it part of the process of paying people off by giving them careers?

I'm a bit ignorant as to what they do all the time - but I can understand the Sinn Fein desire for having larger numbers, as that does give them a critical mass (if that makes sense?)
They have 27 members at the moment I think. That is a large number of people - and it is difficult to marginalise them when they have that weight behind them. It's probably comforting to their Republican supporters too, to hear them being mentioned and speaking out in the media so often. And speaking out as an MLA gives it that much greater weight than just being a councillor.
And they all pay a chunk of their salary back into party coffers...

Portstewart

Clearly a very sensible idea. Not surprised to see the otherwise unemployable quasi 'conflict junkies' that make up half the SF representation opposing the idea however.

physicist

In a speech to the NI Federation of Small Business the First Minister said the number of governments departements should be cut from twelve to eight and the number of MLAs from 108 to 75.

Particularly while Poots and Sammy Wilson stopped the Super Council program going ahead...

Last edited: