• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Roddy Doyle Ha Ha Ha!

Seanie Lemass

Following is an excerpt from his latest 'opus' Two Pints. I have never been an admirer but he is really taking the pee now. It is desperate shyte. It was being discussed on Pat Kenny this morning and the Times are running excerpts!

Seriously it would be marked as a C in the Leaving Cert and I can't imagine any unpublished author having this being considered for more than it takes the read the sort of stuff here:

- Have yeh made your mind up yet?

– A pint – same as always. I haven’t had to make me mind up since –

– I meant the election.

– Ah, shove it.

– Well, it’s either tha’ or the Greek default.

– Alrigh’ – ************************ it. Who’s goin’ to

win?

– Hard to say. They’re all ************************e.

– I seen Mary Davis’s Sex an’ the City posters.

– There yeh go. An’ Mitchell. He said you can see the house he grew up in – in Inchicore, like – from the window of the Áras. An’ he’s goin’ to look out at it every mornin’.

– An’ shout, ************************ you, Inchicore.

– He could get the queen to do it with him the next time she’s over.

– A bondin’ exercise.

– Exactly. She probably never gets the chance to say “************************” at home.

– Talkin’ abou’ ************************ an’ the queen. What’s McGuinness up to?

– Says he’ll only pay himself the average industrial wage.

– The ************************************’ eejit.

– I’m with yeh. He says he’ll employ six young people with the money left over.

– Cuttin’ the grass an’ washin’ diesel. What about the Senator?

– Ah Jaysis. It looks like Greece is goin’ to miss its deficit target an’ has ************************-all chance of avertin’ bankruptcy.

Mackers

He is best left to being funny in the area he knew best. I liked the Barry Town trilogy. But a Star called Henry and so on not his best efforts. But no doubt others think different.

Casillas

Why do dreadful pop-bands sell albums, why are clichéd action films blockbusters?

People like this kind of thing - it sells.

I don't know why mind - boggles the brain.

ShoutingIsLeadership

At least he will get some royalties from you reproducing the book in your OP!

bob3344

He is best left to being funny in the area he knew best. I liked the Barry Town trilogy. But a Star called Henry and so on not his best efforts. But no doubt others think different.
I wonder how much of the Barry town trilogy was Doyle just recording the phrases/slang of the inner city kids he used to teach ?

Seanie Lemass

At least he will get some royalties from you reproducing the book in your OP!

More people see it the less people will buy it :)

I agree with you Casillas but they are not treated on par with real music and cinema. This bollix is allegedly one of Ireland's literary icons. A bit like if Norman Mailer had written Marvel Comic books.

borntorum

I've only read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. I really liked it, I thought it was a wonderful journey into the mind and consciousness of a young boy. I can still (just about) remember thinking and behaving like Paddy Clarke did (thankfully without the domestic unhappiness)

Ex celt

More people see it the less people will buy it :)

I agree with you Casillas but they are not treated on par with real music and cinema. This bollix is allegedly one of Ireland's literary icons. A bit like if Norman Mailer had written Marvel Comic books.
Your hatred of RD is driven by his abhorrence of the vile sf/ira/disso cult which has produced literary giants like Danny Morrison and Jimmy Sands who,in case you did not know,was a well known poet,gaelgeoir and revolutionary.....in the Felons' Club.

Mackers

I wonder how much of the Barry town trilogy was Doyle just recording the phrases/slang of the inner city kids he used to teach ?
I'd say most of it. But it worked because he was in a way reporting and recording that section of real life of the inner city. So I'd have to say he was an excellent exponent of it.

bob3344

I'd say most of it. But it worked because he was in a way reporting and recording that section of real life of the inner city. So I'd have to say he was an excellent exponent of it.
I'd say it worked because those kids have a funny turn of phrase, yeah he recorded it accurately but does that make him the literary giant that his reputation suggests ?

Not much of it, I'd imagine.

As the OP shows, RD is really really bad at dialogue.

Iarmhi Gael

This book was never published for a Booker prize - Its a toilet read - something to just lift up and read.

I think they are excellent short dialogues. In case people who are not aware - Roddy Doyle first started putting together short conversations betwen 2 guys in a pub on his facebook. His kids set him up with facebook - got bored of it and just decided to do this. He would put up a picture of 2 pints of Guinness and a 200 word dialogue would follow between the 2 of current events in last 2 years in Ireland. Never did he want them published - but was offered by a publisher to put them into a book format and so it happened.

He would walk the dog - and over the 20 mins think of the dialogue and just put it up - wiith little reagrd for literery genius. The OP makes it out that Doyle had a book in mind when he started these - he didn't.

Another thread full of begrudgers

Last edited:

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Why do dreadful pop-bands sell albums, why are clichéd action films blockbusters?

People like this kind of thing - it sells.

I don't know why mind - boggles the brain.
Good question. I watched the Godfather 111 the other night. the one where the mafia save the Pope. Sicily seemed to be full of nuns and even the assassin was dressed as a priest. Take out the over the top catholic and mafia scenes and there was nothing in it, not even a car chase.

Roddy Doyle I thought taught out Kilbarrack way which was not city centre then. He also grew up in a woman of the three cows house.

It was the movie the Commitments made him, turning a dull book into an ok film.

Mackers

I'd say it worked because those kids have a funny turn of phrase, yeah he recorded it accurately but does that make him the literary giant that his reputation suggests ?
Fair point. Probably not. In fact no to be fair. But I still think the first trilogy was very good, all the same.

Levellers

They say everone has a book in them. Doyle had one book and has churned out rubbish since.

bob3344

Not much of it, I'd imagine.

As the OP shows, RD is really really bad at dialogue.
He left teaching after the barrytown trilogy came out. Used to be famous for dialogue, now he's turning out sh1te like the op - coincidence ?

Bill

none of it really, he was teacher in greendale secondary school in kilbarrack, not the inner city

mickmick

I never thought much of Roddy Doyle. Some of the Barrytown trilogy was funny but he always paints the working class Dub as being stupid gargle merchants with a twelve-word vocabulary. Well-meaning and funny but stupid like the Rabbittes or nasty and stupid like Charlo in the Paula Spencer books. Calling them two-dimensional characters would be too kind. You never see the community worker, the shop steward, local tradesman or GAA/Footbal coaches.
And as for A Star Called Henry, don't get me started.

Dorcha

I can only say what I like, and I liked "The Van" and "The Commitments". I bought "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha" with high hopes for another entertaining read, but could only manage the first chapter. I can't be sure if it was the subject matter or the style of writing, but I felt I'd wasted my money. I gave the book to the SVP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies