Rodrigo Duterte

Toasty

Apart from his fascist leanings, personally I think he's a few tracks short of an album, psychologically unfit to be a president, so on that note do you think that potential leaders of countries should be required to undergo some sort of exhaustive evaluation before even getting to the campaign stage? I realise that the problem with that is that vastly different views would prevail as to what constitutes an acceptable state of sanity for that purpose, depending on one's political and social leanings but when someone's obviously got a few screws loose surely there has to be a way to evaluate that.......

dbreen

Apart from his fascist leanings, personally I think he's a few tracks short of an album, psychologically unfit to be a president, so on that note do you think that potential leaders of countries should be required to undergo some sort of exhaustive evaluation before even getting to the campaign stage? I realise that the problem with that is that vastly different views would prevail as to what constitutes an acceptable state of sanity for that purpose, depending on one's political and social leanings but when someone's obviously got a few screws loose surely there has to be a way to evaluate that.......
Is it his killing of drug dealers that makes you think he's a lunatic. Or his nations departure from the American empire?

owedtojoy

Duterte's order of ex-judicial killings (i.e. murders) are a reminder of why due process is there for a reason ..

No doubt it will soon come to light that ....

• Innocent people (including children) were killed "by mistake".
  • Some of killers were corrupt police or vigilantes in the pay of drug-dealers so they were just eliminating their rivals.
  • The police, politicians and vigilantes took an opportunity to eliminate people they disliked by smearing them as drug dealers.
Even if 90% of these murdered were guilty of drug-dealing, it does not justify the slaying of innocents.

Furthermore, you can bet your bottom dollar the really wealthy leaders of the cartels escaped, and will soon re-establish their drug-selling networks, simply by bribing policemen and politicians again.

Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte calls children killed in drug war 'collateral damage'

Unfortunately, it may be some time before the people of the Philippines realise what a disaster they have elected. And a man who is ok with murder for one cause will surely not feel constrained from using it in other areas.

Vega1447

Is it his killing of drug dealers that makes you think he's a lunatic. Or his nations departure from the American empire?
The first makes him lawless at least.

The second makes him reckless as he really is jumping from the frying pan to the fire in switching from the US to China as patron.

owedtojoy

I hope you are not conferring on Assad-like sainthood on Duterte.

Are you saying any murders he commits are acceptable, as long as he disses the Yanks?

Karloff

A country that murders it's citizens for ideological reasons is in a world of trouble.

Not least because of the popularity of it there.

Then there is Thailand and their embarrassing relationship with the monarchy.

North Korea.....

That part of the world could do with embracing liberal values, look at Japan - it was forced to do so and look how it prospered. I hate to say it but Vietnam would have benefitted from a total US conquest too. The culture of deference/obedience in that part of the world is too extreme.

Duterte is also a hypocrite, he holds up pictures of US atrocities in his country from 100 years ago and pretends to be shocked, outraged - but then laughs at his own murders of Philippinos and says he doesn't care about human rights.

GDPR

Hes not crazy. Hes doing what he said he would do before he was elected and that is why he was elected.

Dame_Enda

One of the worst leaders in Asia.

It isnt just drug dealers that are being shot but also recreational drug users, including the daughter of an English aristocrat who was recently shot.

D

Deleted member 42179

Hes not crazy. Hes doing what he said he would do before he was elected and that is why he was elected.
You can't expect FG and US govt shills to understand that kind of behaviour Eagle.

Sticking to electoral promises?? Shure why would you do something stupid like that?

[video=youtube;yAS0c5AkiNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS0c5AkiNg[/video]

Karloff

One of the worst leaders in Asia.

It isnt just drug dealers that are being shot but also recreational drug users, including the daughter of an English aristocrat who was recently shot.
Junkies have long been convenient scapegoats, look how we in the West also throw people into dungeons just for using a chemical. They are one of society's 'catch all' bogeymen, blamed for crime, misery everything.

For these right wing populists there has to be a scapegoat, one who is evil different etc that allows the faithful to rally around the leader in opposition to - it's psychology 101.

gerhard dengler

A country that murders it's citizens for ideological reasons is in a world of trouble.

Not least because of the popularity of it there.

Then there is Thailand and their embarrassing relationship with the monarchy.

North Korea.....

That part of the world could do with embracing liberal values, look at Japan - it was forced to do so and look how it prospered. I hate to say it but Vietnam would have benefitted from a total US conquest too. The culture of deference/obedience in that part of the world is too extreme.

Duterte is also a hypocrite, he holds up pictures of US atrocities in his country from 100 years ago and pretends to be shocked, outraged - but then laughs at his own murders of Philippinos and says he doesn't care about human rights.
America brought untold misery to the Philippino people through it's unconditional support of Ferdinand Marcos for decades.

Self determination is supposedly one of the principles of democracy, a principle which American foreign policy "forgot" to apply in it's
foreign policy.

This doesn't vindicate Duterte however.

Karloff

Yeah but thats what the electorate voted for.

So they must be crazy too.
He promised he would clean up their society, their society has many problems.

That's all they hear, that's all they WANT to hear.

The 'how' the 'methods', the counterarguments etc they are not interested in.

Sometimes democracies go genocidal. Colombia did too.

GDPR

He promised he would clean up their society, their society has many problems.

That's all they hear, that's all they WANT to hear.
They knew exactly what he meant. He had a track record of using execution squads against criminals while Mayor, which earned him the nickname Dirty Duarte.

The Philipines has the highest murder rate in Asia and the 11 th highest in the world, the voters dont give a sh*t. They are sick and tired of it.

Remains to be seen whether his medicine will work but no one can pretend they didnt know what he had in mind.

Karloff

America brought untold misery to the Philippino people through it's unconditional support of Ferdinand Marcos for decades.

Self determination is supposedly one of the principles of democracy, a principle which American foreign policy "forgot" to apply in it's
foreign policy.

This doesn't vindicate Duterte however.
That is true - perhaps i went too far suggesting an American invasion can be beneficial.

I am not a fan of that part of the world (SE Asia) so i got carried away.

Truth.ie

"We will not stop until the last druglord has surrendered, been put behind bars or below the ground...if they so wish"

Thats the verbatim quote and to be honest I see nothing wrong with it.
It's obvious that he wants them off the streets, and the death option is their making.

Not quite how the media presented his quote.

Karloff

They knew exactly what he meant. He had a track record of using execution squads against criminals while Mayor, which earned him the nickname Dirty Duarte.

The Philipines has the highest murder rate in Asia and the 11 th highest in the world, the voters dont give a sh*t. They are sick and tired of it.

Remains to be seen whether his medicine will work but no one can pretend they didnt know what he had in mind.
Extrajudicial assassination of people in order to lower the murder rate eh?

I take your point about their foreknowledge though. As i said already, not a fan of that part of the world.

A few shiploads of rubbers fifty years ago could have saved them no end of problems.

GDPR

Extrajudicial assassination of people in order to lower the murder rate eh?

I take your point about their foreknowledge though. As i said already, not a fan of that part of the world.

A few shiploads of rubbers fifty years ago could have saved them no end of problems.
Nope, I dont approve of this man but Im not buying into "he's crazy and the poor electorate just cant fathom why hes doing these terrible things."

And the Philipine's problems are not the result of lack of contraception. That was a rather racist comment, you know.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies