• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Roe vs Wade Deathwatch USA : How Long Has It Got?

Jack Walsh

Not surprising though. Governor John Bel Edwards is a devout Roman Catholic and has always been open that he holds an anti-abortion position with exceptions for rape, incest and threats to life of the mother.

And in voting with his devout Roman Catholic conscience he is in this instance ironically doing a massive favour for his party.
This is a total vote killer for a GOP desperately needing moderate independent voters next year
Broadly equivalent to huge swathes of Fianna Fail starting a massive rural "repeal divorce and same sex marriage legislation" campaign

O'Sullivan Bere

And in voting with his devout Roman Catholic conscience he is in this instance ironically doing a massive favour for his party.
This is a total vote killer for a GOP desperately needing moderate independent voters next year
Broadly equivalent to huge swathes of Fianna Fail starting a massive rural "repeal divorce and same sex marriage legislation" campaign
He may be doing the party such a 'favour' overall in the national scope, all depending on motivating pro-choice infrequent and non voters, swing vote independents and even GOP voters that foolishly never believed the day would actually come that Roe would be in jeopardy by their voting patterns.

That said, IMO Edwards is also correct about the following:

"I know that for many in the national party, on the national scene, that's not a good fit. But I will tell you, here in Louisiana, I speak and meet with Democrats who are pro-life every single day," Edwards said.
. . .
Edwards campaigned on a pro-life platform when he was first elected governor in 2015. In a TV ad released during the campaign, he explained how he and his wife opted not to have an abortion even when the couple discovered their daughter would have a spinal birth defect when she was born.

Edwards got elected Governor in a very red state--the only Deep South Democrat Governor at this time--by being an anti-abortion Blue Dog that's moderate to liberal on many other issues.

In 2006, the Democrats obtained a large sweep in Congress, and that included winning many seats by courting such rural Blue Dogs.

Simply put, IMO, the Dems would also pick up plenty of votes on the flip side with rural Southerners and others that are moderate to liberal on most issues but simply can't condone abortion (unless exceptions like rape, incest and/or protecting the mother's life) and/or liberality with guns given their local needs and culture.

rainmaker

Administrator
You say hard line Catholic like it's a bad thing.
It is. Any hard line version of any religion is. Luckily the influence of the church is fading in modern Ireland.

rainmaker

Administrator
Devout, true Catholics are bad.

Wow.

Fascist much?
There you go again - completely fabricating someones post and arguing against your makey uppy version rather than what they actually said.

Your faith must be very weak if that's your best effort.

Jack Walsh

He may be doing the party such a 'favour' overall in the national scope, all depending on motivating pro-choice infrequent and non voters, swing vote independents and even GOP voters that foolishly never believed the day would actually come that Roe would be in jeopardy by their voting patterns.

That said, IMO Edwards is also correct about the following:

Edwards got elected Governor in a very red state--the only Deep South Democrat Governor at this time--by being an anti-abortion Blue Dog that's moderate to liberal on many other issues.

In 2006, the Democrats obtained a large sweep in Congress, and that included winning many seats by courting such rural Blue Dogs.

Simply put, IMO, the Dems would also pick up plenty of votes on the flip side with rural Southerners and others that are moderate to liberal on most issues but simply can't condone abortion (unless exceptions like rape, incest and/or protecting the mother's life) and/or liberality with guns given their local needs and culture.

I was of course speaking about nationally
I know he (probably) didn't do it cynically, but it is perfect for both him and Dems
Edwards probably nails his reelection later this year and may nudge Dems closer to a Senate seat in 2020 (I don't see Cassidy as a shoo in), but at National level among moderates, a repeal of Row v Wade is simply not a runner
This is not an issue GOP want front and centre a year out, when they so desperately need to win moderates/independents

I'd imagine they would have been eyeing up early 2021 if they held Senate and White House as a likely attack period, but not now, and definitely not the loony tune Alabama "lock the sluts up for life" version.
Trump is already a massive issue with women, throw that Alabama type sh*tshow into the mix and there will be a tsunami of women voters deserting them

NYCKY

Here's a poster who needs a course of instruction (Southern Democratic Politics 101?).

The Governor is one John Bel Edwards, a 'conservative' Democrat, 'pro-life' (that should go without saying, as he is a hard-line Roman Catholic of St Helena's parish, Amite), and pro-guns.

Then we'd have to consider the definition of a 'Blue Dog Democrat'. The original 'Blue Dog' was Dino in The Flintstones:

View attachment 18356

Is that a 'dog'? Or is it a 'dog in name only'? So 'Democrat in Name Only' = Dino = Blue-dog Democrat.
I am not sure I would call him a blue dog. Bel Edwards win in 2015 when he was up against scandal scarred US Senator David Vitter. That David Vitter of the little black book/hooker fame. Bel Edwards ran what was a devastating ad "prostitutes over patriots" and intoned that when Bel Edwards answered the call to serve the country in the military, Vitter was answering calls from prostitutes. Vitter lost the race and was so damaged opted not to run the following year for reelection to the Senate, to the great relief of the GOP.

Bel Edwards made no secret of his pro life, pro gun stances and that made it easy for Louisiana voters to elect him against a very flawed opponent. Bel Edwards is up for re-election later this year and polls show him a slight favorite but not a certainty. Someone like Bel Edwards would have no place on a Democratic national ticket or even in a Cabinet of a Democratic President.

Peter72

Only in your version of my posts, which as any reasonable reader can see bear no resemblance whatsoever to the ones I actually wrote.

Carry on though, you are doing an immeasurably better job of discrediting yourself as a poster than I could ever hope to.
Labelling people of Faith as bad is both lazy and dangerous.

O'Sullivan Bere

I know he (probably) didn't do it cynically, but it is perfect for both him and Dems
Edwards probably nails his reelection later this year and may nudge Dems closer to a Senate seat in 2020 (I don't see Cassidy as a shoo in), but at National level among moderates, a repeal of Row v Wade is simply not a runner
This is not an issue GOP want front and centre a year out, when they so desperately need to win moderates/independents

I'd imagine they would have been eyeing up early 2021 if they held Senate and White House as a likely attack period, but not now, and definitely not the loony tune Alabama "lock the sluts up for life" version.
Trump is already a massive issue with women, throw that Alabama type sh*tshow into the mix and there will be a tsunami of women voters deserting them
The GOP getting the SCOTUS to the now suspected point of overturning Roe either directly or constructively very well may turn out to be the situation of the dog that finally caught the car.

On the one hand, it's going to motivate pro-choice people that took the issue for granted, including voters that weren't reliably voting Democratic beforehand as explained including some pro-choice GOP voters.

On the other hand, the Dems could also seek a twofer by choosing to let anti-abortion Blue Dogs like Edwards run in red areas where pragmatic in order to obtain allies on many other issues. As Ronald Reagan aptly put it: "The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally - not a 20 percent traitor."

In the end, IMO the GOP finally overturning Roe would be a pyrrhic victory because it's going to remain legal in many if not the majority of states anyway. As you know, England was always the answer to Ireland's Article 8 and legislative bans. Ireland simply got honest about the issue in the recent referendum.

For a party that since the 'Southern Strategy' through Trump has played cynical politics with people after they're born for obtaining power, the GOP may very well have misplayed this issue for once.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Administrator
Oh spare me the holy Joe nonsense, your faith gives your opinions no more weight than anyone elses.

NYCKY

With all due respect you are mistaken about Cassidy being a shoo in. He defeated three term incumbent Democratic incumbent Mary Landrieu in a run off in 2014 by double digits. For Cassidy to lose, he would have to be getting into the "caught in bed with a dead girl/live boy" territory. Yes the state has a Democratic Governor, but one who won against a deeply flawed opponent and is strongly pro life and pro guns.

Of the nine Senate races that the GOP flipped in 2014, only Cory Gardner in Colorado is considered truly vulnerable at this time. Two others, Joni Ernst in Iowa and Thom Tillis in North Carolina while favourites to retain their seats are not as certain as the six others.

O'Sullivan Bere

I am not sure I would call him a blue dog. Bel Edwards win in 2015 when he was up against scandal scarred US Senator David Vitter. That David Vitter of the little black book/hooker fame. Bel Edwards ran what was a devastating ad "prostitutes over patriots" and intoned that when Bel Edwards answered the call to serve the country in the military, Vitter was answering calls from prostitutes. Vitter lost the race and was so damaged opted not to run the following year for reelection to the Senate, to the great relief of the GOP.

Bel Edwards made no secret of his pro life, pro gun stances and that made it easy for Louisiana voters to elect him against a very flawed opponent. Bel Edwards is up for re-election later this year and polls show him a slight favorite but not a certainty. Someone like Bel Edwards would have no place on a Democratic national ticket or even in a Cabinet of a Democratic President.
He's a genuine Blue Dog rather than a DINO.
No doubt running against Vitter helped him, but it's also no secret that there are many people in rural areas that would consider voting Democratic given their overall POVs if they're anti-abortion and/or supportive of the needs and culture regarding gun ownership in rural areas. When the Dems accommodated that rural divergence in 2006 where pragmatic, they won many rural seats they otherwise would not have.

Last edited:

NYCKY

He's a genuine Blue Dog rather than a DINO.
No doubt running against Vitter helped him, but it's also no secret that there are many people in rural areas that would consider voting Democratic given their overall POVs if they're anti-abortion and/or supportive of needs and culture regarding gun ownership in rural areas.

Well he is certainly a moderate Democrat, and I wish we had more moderates in both parties.

McTell

Twitter
No
Faith is like virtue and humility, it's its own reward.

It doesn't mean a person with faith is always right about everything, as we all know.

As for Roe-v-Wade, if it is ever court barred, which seems unlikely, new clinics will open in Canada.

They did a study in the 1990s that annoyed several PC-brigades at once, that suggested that poor US black women having abortions lowered the crime rates 15-odd years later.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I see that restricting access to abortion is, by implication, an argument for endorsing child-marriage. At least it is in the Great State of Louisiana (where, incidentally, sex-eduction is a no-no).

Louisiana has no legal minimum age for marriage, but under current law, if one or both partners are aged 16 or 17, then parents need to appear at the clerk’s office at the time of the marriage application. Those under the age of 16 currently require a judge’s approval to get married.
More than 4,500 people under the age of 18 – including one as young as 12 – were legally married between 2000 and 2010 in Louisiana, according to figures compiled by a nonprofit organization and the documentary TV program Frontline.

Dame_Enda

Biden supporting the Hyde Amendment. This law which is already on the books, named for former GOP House Majority Leader Henry Hyde, bans Medicare and other federal programs from paying for abortions, This goes against the views of more than half of Dem Congressmen/women, as well as NARAL. Could be clever politics to reach out to moderate to conservative voters in swing states. But could also hurt him with Dem primary voters.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies