Roger Casement

Indyjoe

Website
www.efrafa.org
If anyone is interested there will be a commemoration for Roger Casement next month.

The 90th anniversary of his death will be commemorated on Saturday, 5th August in Dun Laoghaire.
Assemble in car park opposite Glasthule Church at 3pm (Georges street/ Summerhill road)
March to Casement birthplace in Sandycove for wreath-laying ceremony.
There will be a prominent speaker.

Everyone is very welcome. Hope to see you there.

Indyjoe

Website
www.efrafa.org
As far as Im aware the commemoration is organised by members of Republican Sinn Fein. However everyone with an interest in Roger Casement is more than welcome to attend. The speaker has to be decided but will probably be Sean O'Bradaigh, giving a historical outline of Casement's life.
Few enough people in the Dunlaoghaire area know of Casement's birthplace. Should be interesting.

Cato

jerryp

Indyjoe

Website
www.efrafa.org
Is this not being organised by the gay and lesbian movement?

I am reluctant to draw away from Casement’s virtues by a descent into a debate on the black diaries. His heroic achievements stand regardless of whether these diaries were forged or not.

Nevertheless, I think that it is far from accepted that diaries were anything else than British forgeries designed to blacken a man who so exposed their exploitive system for what it was, both within Britain and without.

The McCormac tests in 2002 alleged that they had proven that the writing in the black diaries were done by the same hand as the writing in the white diaries. Many international forgery theorists disagreed with the results. It should also be noted that the McCormac committee set out to prove that the diaries were genuine, rather than start from a neutral point of view; also the author of the report, Dr. Audrey Giles, is a former employee of the British police.

That the British would blacken the name of a man through forgeries should suprise no one, as had happened to Parnell, or as the French had done with Dreyfus. Casement’s very existence called into question the existence of their empire, and their bloody war to hold it. Unlike the other 1916 leaders, Casement was a internationally recognised humanitarian figure, knighted by the British monarch and beloved of the liberal classes. The outrage and protests during his trial frightened the British rulers. After the publishing of the diaries (copies of which were sent to foreign states and the Church) opposition to his execution almost disappeared.

Also the British never conclusively explained how they had come into possession of these papers.

What convinces me, however, is the moral character of Casement. How could so honourable a man, who devoted his life to exposing lies, live a lie himself. The obsessive, extremely explicate and degrading descriptions of sexual acts would be regarded as unhealthy by most people, regardless of how they view homosexuality. Further, the diaries tell of how Casement paid young men to make love with him. If Casement had paid young girls to do the same, we would describe it as immoral, but because homosexuality is such a contentious issue people are less willing to do so.

Even if Casement was a homosexual (and there is no proof outside of the black diaries) his sexual descriptions and his payment for sex completely contradicts the image we have of him from very other source.

Catalpa

The Black Diaries if genuine just show the writer as a fantastist.

Any man in his position would have been taking huge risks in engaging in so much illict sexual activity.

He would also have had to have known all the regular haunts of Vice in numerous different cities, visited those areas, sought out contacts and paid for those services on a very regular basis. Quite an achievment!

That he could do this on so many occasions without compromising himself seems to me a bit far fetched.

If he was guilty it was guilt by imagination not commission IMCO.

It's only fair to point out that Casement denied all this right up to the end.

Abaddon

Re: Casement

oreiley1 said:
He was a big bender and should be forgotten.
what an idiot you are.

rabscuttle

As far as Im aware the commemoration is organised by members of Republican Sinn Fein.
This event is being organised by the local Casement commemoration committee of which Sean O'Bradaigh is a member. Members of Republican Sinn Fein will be in attendence.

sean1

Website
www.gaelport.com
Yea, Pádraigs a comrade of mine (re. Gael-Taca). However, this sentence sticks out for me:

"In an unprecedented action, they circulated what purported to be extracts from a diary written by Roger Casement, which indicated that he was a pervert of the most appalling kind."

Didn't the black diaries just say that he was gay and promiscous? I am not discounting the possiblity that they may be false, but I would not agree that being gay and promiscous equates with being a "pervert of the most appaling kind."

Can anyone shed any light in realtion to any 'peversion'?

merle haggard

from the little i know of them they claimed he regularly exploited young native children for sex and made detailed studies of their knobs and stuff like that . For a man who genuinely devoted his life to end exploitation of those same people by confronting numerous powerful interests the notion hed abuse them like this seems a malicious lie .

it comes from the same institutions who were fabricating documents about a basically harmless george galloway only a couple of years ago for the crime of making a few soundbytes. Casement crossed far more powerful interests than galloway ever did or will . He had to be destroyed in every way

Indyjoe

Website
www.efrafa.org
It annoys me when liberal Ireland jumps up to celebrate Casement as a 'gay icon' as one historian I know put it.
As the only evidence that Casement was a homosexual is the black diaries means that either he was a highly troubled man who exploited young natives and recorded his actions for his own sick pleasure or else he was not homosexual. There is no in between on this one.

Red1916

Who's organising the commemoration?

Also there will also be a Roger Casement Weekend starting this Friday 4 August in North Antrim where Casement was born.

The Weekend is organised by North Antrim Ógra Shinn Féin who will name their cumann after Casement and will take place around Ballintoy, and Ballycastle.

Here is the clar if anyone is interested:

FRIDAY 4th

Arrival: 6pm-8pm
DVD/Exhibition - Roger Casement

SATURDAY 5th

Morning: Lecture on Life & Legacy of Roger Casement
Afternoon: Visit to Giant's Causeway (Protest in solidarity with Lebanon)
Afternoon: Visit to Bushmills distillery
Evening: Commemoration to mark 90th ann of Roger Casement at Ballycastle Seafront / Naming of North Antrim Ógra as the Roger Casement Cumann

Social Night - Ballycastle

SUNDAY 6th

Morning: Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
Midday: Billy Leonard - life story
Lunch / Finish by 1.30pm/2pm

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies