Roger Casement

Earnest

This authentication has already been mentioned on pages 1 and 4 of this thread. It is not a final authentication because no tests were done to establish that the diaries had physically been in South America. However, as I have argued above, forgery seems an impossibility.

Incidentally, the 2016 edition of Jeffrey Dudgeon's book 'Roger Casement : the Black Diaries, with a study of his background, sexuality, and Irish political life' presents further evidence suggesting Casement's homosexuality.

Last edited:

McTell

I've always thought the timeframe was too short for them all to be forged. Maybe some were added to.

They had 2 months to forge. Possible, given their resources, but a big war was on.

The 1st author to question whether they were genuine, or not, was in 1936, and he had never seen them, just felt that a good sort-of-catholic guy had been traduced and accused of a mortal sin.

diaspora-mick

Some interesting points raised here:

Lost to History: An Assessment and Review of the Casement Black Diaries
Published: April 01, 2016 Author: Paul Hyde
https://breac.nd.edu/articles/65746...ent-and-review-of-the-casement-black-diaries/

For example:
When the Giles Report was peer-reviewed by US document examiner James Horan, he recommended non-publication, stating: “As editor of the Journal of Forensic Sciences and the Journal of the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners, I would NOT recommend publication of the Giles Report because the report does not show HOW its conclusion was reached.”[12] Mr Horan also commented: “Because of the controversial nature of the case Giles should have been requested to prepare a detailed report that could be presented to a jury. To the question, ‘Is the writing Roger Casement’s?’ on the basis of the Giles Report as it stands; my answer would have to be I cannot tell.”[13] Indeed, the Giles Report was not published and therefore was not deposited in major libraries as promised. Its fate was much the same as the earlier tests save that the media campaign proved successful in perpetuating not only the official thesis of authenticity but also of regenerating that untested thesis as definitively tested and proven. To doubt the “conclusive tests” became heresy. Thus scientific investigation had become political propaganda.

diaspora-mick

I've always thought the timeframe was too short for them all to be forged. Maybe some were added to.

They had 2 months to forge. Possible, given their resources, but a big war was on.

The 1st author to question whether they were genuine, or not, was in 1936, and he had never seen them, just felt that a good sort-of-catholic guy had been traduced and accused of a mortal sin.
III. The 1993 Test

This test was carried out by Home Office expert Dr. David Baxendale and was featured in a BBC Radio documentary.[4] The result was decidedly cautious if not ambiguous. Dr. Baxendale stated: “the bulk of the handwriting in there is the work of Roger Casement.”[5] With reference to alleged interpolations he stated: “the handwriting of all the entries which were of that nature correspond closely with Mr Casement’s handwriting.”[6] This caution might be explained by his awareness of the Hitler Diaries fiasco of some years earlier in which some sixty-two diaries were forged in only two years by Konrad Kujau and subsequently were authenticated by handwriting experts and three eminent historians before the fraud was discovered by Dr. Julius Grant, a forensic paper expert, and by the West German Bundesarchiv.

https://breac.nd.edu/articles/65746...ent-and-review-of-the-casement-black-diaries/

max99

'' I am proud to be a rebel and shall cling to my rebellion with the last drop of my blood''
Roger Casement hanged on this day 1916

Song called the 'Lonely Banna Strand' about his capture Very Sad

McTell

III. The 1993 Test//
the Hitler Diaries fiasco of some years earlier in which some sixty-two diaries were forged in only two years by Konrad Kujau and subsequently were authenticated by handwriting experts and three eminent historians //

Good point. But Kujau had planned his scam and done a lot of reading for years beforehand, then got to work.

The brits in 1916 had no idea that RC would be in their hands in April, and that his 2 sets of diaries would suddenly need to be invented. Including congolese street slang? All in a couple of months, when he had already lost his knighthood and was not a danger to anyone. They could have added a line here and there.

There's no doubt that from 1936 the diaries-were-faked brigade were motivated by gayness being then a crime and a mortal sin.

Compare and contrast with Lawrence of Arabia, also anglo-irish, gay and supporting a WW1 revolt against one of the "great powers".

McTell

PS

On the 2 months-to-fake-it angle, typed transcripts were shown; but in the event that the originals were needed in court they would have had to have them ready (faked or not).

Most Replies

Top Bottom