• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Roger Ebert, 1942-2013

Cirio

Last edited:

NYCKY

Thanks for starting this thread.

I saw earlier that he had passed away, only days after announcing that his cancer had returned.

I remember the infamous "two thumbs up" that he and Gene Siskel used to give. It ended up common parlance in movie advertising, "Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up". After Siskel passed away in the late 90s, Ebert teamed up with Richard Roeper, but it was never the same.

Roger Ebert fought a long and brave battle with his cancer that left him severely disabled and disfigured but he never quit and even though his voice was gone, his ability to critique a film was as good as ever.

He was definitely one of the best at his task.

RIP

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I had heard this on the radio on the drive home from work earlier. The announcer had the gall to say that he practically invented the "thumbs up".

Ancient Rome, anyone?

Lempo

I had heard this on the radio on the drive home from work earlier. The announcer had the gall to say that he practically invented the "thumbs up".

Ancient Rome, anyone?
I remember reading the thumbs up thingy related to the gladiators got botched up by a 18th (?) century painting. Originally the thumb down was to mean "lower your weapons, let him live" while thumb up was "raise your weapon and kill him!", I'm told.

Ulster-Lad