RoI team to wear jersey sporting LGBT rainbow flag vs USA tonight.

Cruimh

When it comes to Greg Clarke, Liam Davis, England’s only openly gay footballer, does not hold back. Of the FA chairman, who said only last November that any professional player revealing themselves to be homosexual would be “taking a risk” of being ostracised within the game, Davis says this.

“He’s a bit of a numpty isn’t he. It’s a very disparaging view of footballers. I’m certain it would be perfectly fine.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/18/openly-gay-footballer-liam-davis-have-not-had-one-problem-football/

louis bernard 11

There's something wrong in a sport where no major soccer player (anywhere) has come out as gay.
Yah, can you just imagine some guy taking the field in Millwall after "coming out"? You could make a horror movie on the reaction.

Wascurito

Catalapast already did a thread on this.
(Something told me to read this post.)

Where is the thread?

The searches don't work here any more and I'm totally hamstrung when it comes to checking if a thread already exists.

Wascurito

Dame_Enda

I think this is fine. There are still problems with homophobia in more religious parts of the US especially the South. But corporations have been pushing to stamp it out with threats to leave states with anti gay laws like formerly Indiana (which forced then governor Pence to water it down a lot). But SCOTUS is one Kennedy retirement away from marriage equality being at risk as well as state laws protecting lgbt rights being at risk.

fergal1790

for the first few, it will be hard.
Thats an understatement, have you ever been to a football ground in England or Scotland?
Those lovely shorts tell us that many of the players(not just the first few) have it hard coming out of the tunnel.

The Americans will probably shoot the team and half the spectators knowing how they love to buy and hoard weapons and kill all around them.

Buchaill Dana

Must be on the back of rule changes after The Great Poppy Controversy
I presume we will be seeing various random political symbols appearing on the football pitch from now on.
FIFA are signed up to gay rights and stung a bit by internal criticism over Russia. They aren't signed up to poppies.

No harm I suppose.

PBP voter

Better late than never.

Still not one professional soccer player at the highest level has been able to come out. The game still has issue.

Buchaill Dana

This is a nice touch and hopefully will lead to a more open attitude in the sport. The international soccer authorities are way behind the GAA on this issue. There's something wrong in a sport where no major soccer player (anywhere) has come out as gay.

Irish Independent: 'This is a statement' - Ireland to wear kit with LGBT rainbow flag design for Saturday's friendly with USA

How are the GAA in front on the issue out of interest?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dubs-boss-jim-gavin-backs-gay-referee-in-wristband-row-31054141.html

Buchaill Dana

Better late than never.

Still not one professional soccer player at the highest level has been able to come out. The game still has issue.
When you say highest level, you mean England. There are are plenty of gay players. I think you think it's an English think really.

Northsideman

PBP voter

WTF cares.

It is a non issue and why are FAI getting involved.

Inclusion means nobody give a F*** about who and what you are, you just get ignored by everybody.

Some groups want everybody to think they are special when in reality nobody cares.

Popular Threads

Most Replies