• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Roisín Shorthall on Clare FM

Clanrickard

She's giving it to Dicey. Says he was "looking after" cabinet colleagues. Has no confidence in Reilly's ability to reform the health service. We need a new kind of politics. She is not going to go quietly. If she keeps this up towards election time she will hurt Labour.

ger12

She's giving it to Dicey. Says he was "looking after" cabinet colleagues. Has no confidence in Reilly's ability to reform the health service. We need a new kind of politics. She is not going to go quietly. If she keeps this up towards election time she will hurt Labour.
She's also right :roll:

Astral Peaks

Yet she conveniently forgets that she signed up to the PfG and knew precisely what she was getting into.

Claiming Reilly is "corrupt" or whatever is just an easy way out for the woman, out of a problem of her own making.

sic transit

While I am not overly fond of Reilly I have not very much sympathy for Shortall either. She knew he was a pain to deal with yet didn't seem to think her job was important enough to be worth learning strategies to address the problems. Now she seems to have been reduced to being the ex-minister "telling it like it is". Pride cometh before a fall indeed.

wombat

Now she seems to have been reduced to being the ex-minister "telling it like it is". Pride cometh before a fall indeed.
The more she talks, the more personal it seems to become, she seems to prefer the role of an opposition TD.

Astral Peaks

The more she talks, the more personal it seems to become, she seems to prefer the role of an opposition TD.
Far easier for her, doesn't have to make any hard choices.

Exposed in office as lacking the cojones for the job, I fear.

Apparently Alex White is very quietly getting on with his role, being diplomatic and getting wins that eluded Shortall's more abrasive, shouty approach.

drjimryan2

clare fm?,,..........

as the song goes......

its a long long way from ballymun to here.....

Tough Paddy

Who cares about Shorthall and her inane mutterings! Just like Colm Keaveney, she's yesterday news!

ned green

She doesn't have to keep it up.Labour Senator Susan O'Keefe has just been on my local radio station OceanFM speaking her usual goobdly gook defending Labours role in government ie crucifying ordinary people.Labour just won't be hurt at the next GE they'll be decimated if they continue to impose austerity and cutbacks and prop up the Blueshirts.They are their own worst enemies continuing FF's policies of making ordinary people pay the gambling debts of Bankers,Builders,Bondholders and Speculators.

freewillie

Apparently Alex White is very quietly getting on with his role, being diplomatic and getting wins that eluded Shortall's more abrasive, shouty approach.
She was too busy looking after her social welfare loving constituents to devote herself to the job she was being paid to do. She has to have someone to blame for her martydom

Cato

Indeed, not questioning some of the senior minister's more questionable decisions and backing down to the alcohol lobby do seem to have make for a quieter life for Alex.

Grumpy Jack

Shorthall's problem now is that her replacement, Alex White, is getting on well with Reilly and they are working together now on agreed health policy, singing from the same hymn sheet.

People in Labour and in FG are now seeing that the previous problems may have been as much to do with Shorthall as Reilly.

As for the parish pump stuff by Reilly, the fact that Howlin was pulling a stroke for the hospital in his own constituency softens Labour's cough on that one.

Shorthall is a pr1ckly and difficult character to deal with at the best of times - the fact she threw a hissy fit and stormed off when she couldn't get her way did not enamour her to many of her Labour colleagues, hence the lack of support when she quit.

As time goes by, Shorthall will become more and more irrelevant - especially when White succeeds in implementing policies she couldn't.

Last edited:

Cato

As for the parish pump stuff by Reilly, the fact that Howlin was pulling a stroke for the hospital in his own constituency softens Labour's cough on that one.
Yes, that has made things somewhat awkward!

Tough Paddy

She doesn't have to keep it up.Labour Senator Susan O'Keefe has just been on my local radio station OceanFM speaking her usual goobdly gook defending Labours role in government ie crucifying ordinary people.Labour just won't be hurt at the next GE they'll be decimated if they continue to impose austerity and cutbacks and prop up the Blueshirts.They are their own worst enemies continuing FF's policies of making ordinary people pay the gambling debts of Bankers,Builders,Bondholders and Speculators.
Bingo! :D

Radix

The independent radio stations will play a large part in the killing off of Labour. What I would love to see is the emergence of a genuine grass roots movement sick of the arrogance of overlords past and present who simply didn't and don't care about tightening the screws on people with nothing left to give.

It would be fitting for future history books to recount the sad truth about the island which went to war in order to exercise self determination, and by the time of the first centenary of this had bankrupted itself morally and economically through greed, corruption and nepotism, to an extent that its own people rose up again, this time against their own kind who betrayed them.

Bring on the revolution and lock out Labour!

Astral Peaks

Indeed, not questioning some of the senior minister's more questionable decisions and backing down to the alcohol lobby do seem to have make for a quieter life for Alex.
Would have thought he is playing a longer hand, frankly. Fighting with Reilly is a zero-sum game, he will get nowhere unless something changes in FG.

Better to quietly record any differences within Dept meeting minutes etc and move on....

As for the Vintners et al, the Govt have enough people shouting at them now over CP2 etc, my understanding is that issue is parked, not conceded? Despite what Maureen O'Sullivan might say......

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Yet she conveniently forgets that she signed up to the PfG and knew precisely what she was getting into.
Can you show me the clause in the PfG that says that the current government will continue and increase the cronyism of the previous governments? I must have missed that bit.

Claiming Reilly is "corrupt" or whatever is just an easy way out for the woman, out of a problem of her own making.
What problem? She saw what Reilly was up to, didn't get support from her party leader and did the honourable thing. When doing the honourable thing is seen as a "problem" you know the government is rotten to the core.

Cato

Would have thought he is playing a longer hand, frankly. Fighting with Reilly is a zero-sum game, he will get nowhere unless something changes in FG.

Better to quietly record any differences within Dept meeting minutes etc and move on....

As for the Vintners et al, the Govt have enough people shouting at them now over CP2 etc, my understanding is that issue is parked, not conceded? Despite what Maureen O'Sullivan might say......
It's been quietly dropped following pressure from senior ministers from both Government parties but will be poked around with from time to time to keep all reasonably happy.

On your first point, you're right. FG were never and will never give up one of their own to Labour. It was never going to happen and the Labour leadership knew that any push to do so would end in them engaging in a back down. The calculation was made that there was less political damage in the long term to be suffered in burning Shortall (albeit at the cost of some short-term agro within Labour). Also, let's not forget, that there was never any real love between Shortall and Gilmore anyway!

Astral Peaks

Can you show me the clause in the PfG that says that the current government will continue and increase the cronyism of the previous governments? I must have missed that bit.

What problem? She saw what Reilly was up to, didn't get support from her party leader and did the honourable thing. When doing the honourable thing is seen as a "problem" you know the government is rotten to the core.
She knew precisely what Reilly was like and still took the job. Wasn't she in fact upset at not being in Cabinet?

Labour dodged a bullet there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies