• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rolling Breakfast on Newstalk discussion thread

Sync

Listening to this for the first time in a few weeks due to travel......isn't this terrible?

It's 8.20 now, they spent less than 5 minutes opening up on the housing tax changes, less than 5 minutes on the euthanasia case today and over 10 minutes on the Royals baby in the UK.

The conversation opens with the host Chris telling us that this is a silly conversation and a waste of time. Well I agree Chris. Particularly as it's going out at 8.10 on a show with designs on being the premier morning news show. So who do they bring on to speak? A doctor? A royal expert to talk about the impact on succession? No, they have on a "Twitter expert" to talk about how the news broke on %^&!ing twitter.

There was a riot last night in Belfast you know Chris. Hamas have just stated that they recognise Israel. Other things are happening out there, but no Chris, you continue to give the majority of time at the key time in the morning to the Royals.

Then we finally DO get to the property tax and we get the journalist who wrote the story that I've either already read or will read shortly who....repeats....what's written....in today's....Times. Not y'know....a govt TD speaking about it. Or an opposition TD talking about it. Or a taxpayer's spokesperson to give analysis on it. Or financial expert to talk about the impact on the intake this will represent and impact on homeowners.

Say what you will about RTE, but it's much better than this.

S

simeongrimes

Newstalk Breakfast more populist than Morning Ireland which can be a good thing when the news story de jour is something that the pro-Government types in RTE find uncomfortable. But the downside is of course too much royal baby.

Clanrickard

Used to have radio alarm on Newstalk. Have switched back to RTE.

Levellers

That fat Casey one is driving the news programme down in terms of quality.

FakeViking

Thankfully we have an alternate this week.

The uber-g0bsh1te pretend Terry Wogan, music ignoramus Marty Whelan is away and his Lyric FM slot is being presented by the lovely Trish Taylor.

drummed

RTE are on a Kate love-in now. We'll never hear the end of this.

firefly123

It's like the aural star/sun/mirror.

Neutron

Have to say I think the media has really been dumbing down and failing the public.

TV3 News seems to have really dropped the ball lately.

drummed

Have to say I think the media has really been duming down and failing the public.

TV3 News seems to have really dropped the ball lately.
Lot of duming down going on alright.

eoghanacht

But we love the Royals....

Crazy horse 6

Unreal really. We are a day away from yet another austerity budget for the working men and women of Ireland,Crumlin hospital is in the process of begging people for money to finish off a cancer ward for sick kids and yet the radio shows think some royal getting up the duff is worthy of radio time. Disgusting and the media in my eyes are as cupable as anyone for letting the people of this country down.

Sync

It's nothing to do with loving the royals or not, it's a question of if its an appropriate slot to discuss it when we've got a budget this week, the eu saying we're not getting a deal and a riot in Belfast. The royals thing seems to be more of a post 9 am story.

When writing fiction, there's a rule that if your own characters are complaining about the storyline, there's a problem in the writing. Same is true if the senior presenter is questioning the scheduling of news stories.

Hewson

Woman in England becomes pregnant.

daveL

Given our royal love ins over the last couple of years; I'm convinced that we actually liked being part of the empire

S

simeongrimes

Given our royal love ins over the last couple of years; I'm convinced that we actually liked being part of the empire
I think that is a misreading of the reaction to the royal visit. I think it was far more about ourselves and our ability to look the British in the eye as equals. There are a minority of people here who are obsessed with Britain. Some are pro and some are anti but they are both living in the past.

The majority of us reacted with good manners to the Queen's visit but have no interest in joining the Commonwealth.