Roma Gypsies: Cork, shoplifting ?

eamonn_ie

Yea I'm watching it there and the shop owner is well within her rights putting their photos on her shop window. They're an absolute scourge on society and bring nothing but problems anywhere they go.

SideysGhost

Feckin hate them, ye can't walk the streets any more without being hustled to buy flowers, hats, give spare change, begging for cigarettes....go get a job you scum. Can't stand professional beggars.

A wino now, the poor auld fella is ill, has an addiction, sleeping on the streets, tragic and very rough life. I'll throw them a quid even though I know it's most likely going to go towards a bottle of Mundies.

But comfortable professional scroungers like the Roma, who probably scam more money out of drunk punters outside pubs on a Sat night than I earn all week? Deport every last feckin one of them.

eoghanacht

Well it boils down to whether you believe they are predisposed to crime or whether they have been given a fair chance by society but prefer a life of crime.

I remember sitting watching two kids probably 10 r 12 years old begging on the streets of Dublin a few years ago, along came an older gentlemen that proceeded to take the little they had begged, now these kids are obviuosly born into it, what choice are they given?

cb1979

Best book shop in the country dont think i will be avoiding
Why is it racist to post the photos of people who stole from her shop? I'm sorry but I didn't see the full interview but the impression I got was she took photographs of shoplifters and displayed it in her shop. I've seen it done in many places, particularly cornershops / convenience stores.

laidback

Roumanians are not allowed to work here as we took advantage of the derogation to prevent them and Bulgarians as new EU entrants to work here having seen the numbers that come to work when we had the big admission.

I believe they can legally be self employed.

is begging and harassing passers by and shopkeepers self -employment?#

Why do they come when they cannot legally work? and what work would be available given their lack of English and limited education?

Are they getting social welfare?

i heard the Cork shopkeeper on Liveline and I support what she did. She has to protect her staff who were being intimidated.

I had an experience in a Lr Camden street D2 jewellry shop where I saw the owner refuse to allow in a Roma couple. I asked him about being racist and he explained the problems he had had. Coming in, getting behind the counter and grabbing small items and running off. In a small shop with easily pocketed items and sometimes with only one person there you cannot cope with 2-3 people intent on robbing you.

Cabbage/Turnip

Why is it racist to post the photos of people who stole from her shop? I'm sorry but I didn't see the full interview but the impression I got was she took photographs of shoplifters and displayed it in her shop. I've seen it done in many places, particularly cornershops / convenience stores.
I dont think its racist at all.. i think she is dead right. A previous comment said avoid the book shop and i was saying i wont be avoiding it

locke

Better to support one of the myriad of other bookshops in the country than the racist scum

Boycott Vibes & Scribes
The Spar shop across the road from me has pictures of two shoplifters up. They both white (probably Irish) males in their early 20s.

Is that acceptable?

martino

There's nothing unusal about putting pictures of shop lifters on shop windows, I've seen it in Spar and other places, CCTV images. This lady is trying to make a living, she's the type of person paying taxes so we can give money to Roma. I've heard she was previously involved in anti-racist movements. There's a film on the web somewhere about gypsies in Spain and how they rob and how everything is organised and some head gypsies in Romania are building big houses on the back of their criminal networks. I think it's from Chanel 4. They have no shame, stealing is a way of life for them, it's just what they do.

locke

Seeing that he's incapable of engaging, it's hardly worth carrying on the thread

lonemother

There was a shop on Clanbrassil Street, which posted stills of all the shoplifters in the window. They were made remove them for legal reasons. As I recall most of the thieves were very Irish looking.

If you don’t want to give them money, ignore them. Five minutes standing outside a pub in Dublin & you’ll be cursing the concept of ‘spare change’

Here’s a link to an excellent film on Roma in Belgrade Pretty Dyana - A Gypsy recycling saga

Can you hate someone if you don’t even know them?

martino

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies