Roma in Ireland live in 'extreme poverty' - or do they?

Catalpast

Report on the RTE site this morning says Roma in Ireland live in 'extreme poverty'

A report has found that up to one-fifth of Roma people surveyed in Ireland are completely marginalised from State services and supports.

The report found that Roma people are living in extreme poverty, in sub-standard and overcrowded accommodation, sometimes without a bathroom, kitchen or cooker and contending with rats, damp and sewerage problems.
Service providers reported cases of malnutrition among young Roma children, while a further 60% of Roma respondents reported being consistently poor.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0117/934133-roma-in-ireland/

Now I must say as a resident of Blanchardstown which has quite a number of Roma residents (incl some as neighbours over the years) I have never witnessed any of this.

They look perfectly well fed to me - incl their children who as much as I can observe are treated just the same as we treat our own kids.

As for the women say what you like but they are always well turned out

The younger men too

- though some of the older ones look a bit more rough and ready and quite a few are well overweight

I have never seen any member of the Roma Community looking like they needed a Good Feed or a Hot Bath

This is not to say there are no cases of extreme poverty but I think this Report must be taken with a grain of salt

Perhaps readers in other parts of the Country have witnessed different though.....?

The_SR

How would you witness it you thundering buffoon?

The_SR

If you are going to be gratuitously rude

- then what do you expect in return?:|
Whatever about the merits of the report, you cannot credibly claim you know how a group live. It's another dogwhistle racism thread

Skin the Goat

Look. We get it. You don't like (brown skinned) foreigners. (Unless, of course, they take part in anti abortion rallies, and then go home I assume). There's no need to start new threads every day saying the same thing.

gleeful

"report has found that up to one-fifth of Roma people surveyed in Ireland are completely marginalised from State services and supports"

20% recieve no social services? I wonder are these people recent migrants to Ireland with no work history and so have no right to social services in this state?

Catalpast

"report has found that up to one-fifth of Roma people surveyed in Ireland are completely marginalised from State services and supports"

20% recieve no social services? I wonder are these people recent migrants to Ireland with no work history and so have no right to social services in this state?
Anyone can access SS and make their case

- but you may not necessarily be entitled to anything

It really depends on your circumstances

Windowshopper

wait until they start cross breeding with our Roma ?
I never thought I'd miss your rants about how if it wasn't for Dev you'd be in the House of Lords or something. But this racism makes me nostalgic.

mr_anderson

If they're living in 'extreme poverty' at present, how much poverty do they have to be in here to stop coming ?

Analyzer

How would you witness it you thundering buffoon?
Maybe he should spend time watching a pumped up polystyrene object around a field for two hours, and proclaim that it is superior ?

Vega1447

From the link in the OP:
while a further 60% of Roma respondents reported being consistently poor.
That is just ... amazeballs.

Roll_On

Pavee point is a jobs choo-choo for the dregs they literally do nothing useful for the Irish travelling community.

That one-fifth of Roma are excluded from state services is shocking. You'd think that approx. 99% of them should be excluded from state services if the rules were followed to the letter.

Regarding poverty, of course they are going to claim poverty, all of their wealth is ill-gotten. Irish travelers claim poverty as well and pay for weddings with plastic bags full of €50 notes.

GDPR

wait until they start cross breeding with our Roma ?
What was the name of that hardcore Orange man Southern Irish Church of Ireland Bishop who was mad into the old eugenics and was offered a seat in the Senate after the Free State was set up but refused it?

The_SR

What was the name of that hardcore Orange man Southern Irish Church of Ireland Bishop who was mad into the old eugenics and was offered a seat in the Senate after the Free State was set up but refused it?
Gerhard Dangler

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies