• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Captain Con O'Sullivan

BBC are carrying a breaking news banner that says Polanski has been arrested on foot of a 1978 US warrant.

No link as yet, will post as soon as...

Edit 11.11am here is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8277176.stm

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Polanski Arrested - Thank you Switzerland". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Bom

Team America

Team America strikes again (great how this can happen while they still refuse to recognise international law and courts!)

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Noone - no matter their celebrity - should be above the law. This is all the more the case where children are concerned.

Sync

From BBC
Film director Roman Polanski has been taken into custody on a 31-year-old US arrest warrant, organisers of the Zurich Film Festival have said.

The organisers claim Polanski was detained by police on Saturday as he travelled to Switzerland to collect a lifetime achievement award.

Police in Zurich could not immediately confirm the information.

Mr Polanski admitted unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, but fled the US before sentencing.

Sync

Silly boy. If you're one of the worlds most famous fugitives, you check the extradition laws for each country before you go for a visit.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Yep- there will be a media and PR frenzy around this one. There were some weird elements to the original court case and some odd statements by the victim as well as Seabhcan has recalled above.

This could be another media caravan along the lines of OJ case I feel...

reknaw

Maybe one day George Bush will make the mistake of visiting a country where he will be arrested and sent to the International Criminal Court in the Hague to face trial for his war crimes, and maybe Tony BLiar as well.:lol::lol::lol:

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Maybe one day George Bush will make the mistake of visiting a country where he will be arrested and sent to the International Criminal Court in the Hague to face trial for his war crimes, and maybe Tony BLiar as well.:lol::lol::lol:

It could happen to Blair as the UK signed up to the International Criminal Court rendering UK citizens liable to arrest for such crimes.

The United States however refused to sign up under Bush unless they got a blanket guarantee that NO US citizen could be arrested or tried at the ICC.

The US is not a signatory. Wonder why... I'm pretty sure that debate happened before the Iraq piracy as well which is an interesting indicator that the Repugs knew what they were going to do would open them up to arrest.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

US Policy regarding the International Criminal Court; quote:

'One month after the International Criminal Court (ICC) officially came into
existence on July 1, 2002, the President signed the American Servicemembers’
Protection Act (ASPA), which limits U.S. government support and assistance to the
ICC; curtails certain military assistance to many countries that have ratified the Rome
Statute establishing the ICC; regulates U.S. participation in United Nations (U.N.)
peacekeeping missions commenced after July 1, 2003; and, most controversially
among European allies, authorizes the President to use “all means necessary and
appropriate to bring about the release” of certain U.S. and allied persons who may be
detained or tried by the ICC.
The provision withholding military assistance under the
programs for Foreign Military Financing (FMF) and International Military Education
and Training (IMET) from certain States Parties to the Rome Statute came into effect
on July 1, 2003. The 109th Congress reauthorized the Nethercutt Amendment as part
of the FY2006 Consolidated Appropriations Act (H.R. 3057/P.L. 109-102). Unless
waived by the President, it bars Economic Support Funds (ESF) assistance to
countries that have not agreed to protect U.S. citizens from being turned over to the
ICC for prosecution.
'

The above is taken from a report by the Congressional Research Service in 2006.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL31495.pdf

May 2009 Clinton Suggests US Could Join International Criminal Court

Clanrickard

Why? He has no case to answer. The US has been before the ICC and the ICC decided there was no case. End of.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Why? He has no case to answer. The US has been before the ICC and the ICC decided there was no case. End of.
Swablocks. The US is not a signatory to the Rome treaty establishing the International Criminal Court.

Its never been before any court at all.

Could I have a link or reference to your claim please? Please note the references I have already supplied, written by a US lawyer for the Congressional Research service.

Also, my second link is a comment by Hilary Clinton in May of this year indicating the she thinks the US should consider signing up to it.

It must be wonderful to be able to blurt out any nonsense you like without supplying any back up for what you say;

LINKS PLEASE?

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Clanrickard (On Georgie Bush)
My response:Swablocks. The US is not a signatory to the Rome treaty establishing the International Criminal Court.

Its never been before any court at all.

Could I have a link or reference to your claim please? Please note the references I have already supplied, written by a US lawyer for the Congressional Research service.

Also, my second link is a comment by Hilary Clinton in May of this year indicating the she thinks the US should consider signing up to it.

It must be wonderful to be able to blurt out any nonsense you like without supplying any back up for what you say;

LINKS PLEASE?

Or admit you were lying please?

Mitsui

The US is not a signatory. Wonder why... I'm pretty sure that debate happened before the Iraq piracy as well which is an interesting indicator that the Repugs knew what they were going to do would open them up to arrest.
If I remember correctly they were worried at the time that Kisinger might be arrested for authorising the secret bombings & incursions in Laos and Cambiadia during the US's Vietnam outing.

Moves were afoot to have some kind of international warrant issued and Henry was still jetting around the world bringing his expertise on peace and joy to "troublespots".

I may be wrong but I think that had something to do with it: apart from anything else, nobody in US politics wanted old Henry on a witness stand (though I can't understand why - I doubt a sworn oath would present any problem to HK!).

Mitsui

BTW, does anyone recall seeing the film Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired on BBC last year? I forget the details, but it did raise quite a few serious questions about the Polanski indictment. I'd always presumed it was a cut & dried case (well you do when the guy runs, don't you?) but it seems it was a far more dubious and complex matter. Can't say more as - like I say - I forget the details raised in the documentary, but I kept it on disc somewhere and must have another look tonight.

flatcastles

not bad thirty two years later that olde ego of prize winning always gets them maybe an a awards ceremony in north korea for outstanding USA peace keeping could rope in the rest !

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies