Ron Paul the tortoise

eyes_west

Of the last 20 republican straw polls during the summer Ron Paul has to date won 8 of them.

These are all minor victories, but 8 victories nonetheless.

Some commentators on here, when referring to the American campaign have said that Ron Paul's large following on the internet is hyped up and clearly the numbers are faked.

It has also been said repeatedly that any internet support for Ron Paul would not emerge on the ground at local level.

Yet locally, Ron Paul's supporters have handed him 8 straw poll wins. Plus 2nd place 4 times, and 3rd place on 3 occasions from a total of 20 polls.

A big test comes this weekend in Texas with the state poll.

I cant see Ron Paul getting more than the 9% he got in Iowa.

Either way like the tortoise he's in for the long haul.

The Earl of Desmond

Because the Republicans are as corrupt and sleazy as FF is. Their instinct to win at all costs will eventually take over and they'll pick a candidate who has a chance to win - whether they will win or not time will tell but they will fight to the death in 2008 as the moment Hillary Clinton gets into the White House she won't change anything about Iraq etc but she will go for the sleaze and funding the Bushes files and release all that info.

eyes_west

The Earl of Desmond said:
Because the Republicans are as corrupt and sleazy as FF is. Their instinct to win at all costs will eventually take over and they'll pick a candidate who has a chance to win - whether they will win or not time will tell but they will fight to the death in 2008 as the moment Hillary Clinton gets into the White House she won't change anything about Iraq etc but she will go for the sleaze and funding the Bushes files and release all that info.
Ok thanks. But i really thought you were going to come from a different angle with reasons why he wont win.

If you are right and their instinct is to win at all costs which republican candidate can get the vote out?

The Earl of Desmond

Personally I dont care but I would imagine it will be Romney but that the grand plan is to sit out 2008 and leave it to whoever wins the nomination to do whatever they want but then for Jeb Bush in 2012 - now that would be scary.

youngdan

Judy, The Lousy Pilot and Fred flintstone are all in remission. Insider, I gotta hand it to you, do you ever sleep.

eyes_west

youngdan said:
Judy, The Lousy Pilot and Fred flintstone are all in remission. Insider, I gotta hand it to you, do you ever sleep.
If he does....does Jeb Bush make him dream or give him nightmares???

youngdan

I believe Insider is not a fan of the Bushs. Getting back to the turtle race. Huckabee seems to have lost the bump he received in Iowa. He just does not have the money and the establishment are going with Judy mainly. Brownback has suffered most from the Iowa result and basically seems done. Fred appears even more dense than anticipated and I look forward to seeing him without a script. Fox did a piece on him in Iowa drawing attention to his expensive shoes and the fact he rode in a golf cart which did him no favours. Perhaps it was a gentle hint that he is no longer needed. The next debate is Wednesday week in New Hampshire so maybe he will partake.

CanRonPaulSavetheUS

It is interesting to watch the slow but steady growth in the Paul campaign since he burst onto the national scene. He seems to have gone from about 4% nationally to 12% in the past 4 years while stronger in some states.

There are people now asking what happens if he fails to win this time and how many more times he should run, if any. In theory if he is in as good as shape as Thurmond who was over 100 in the Senate, he could run in 2016, 20, 24 28 and 2032 while still younger.

Some are saying he should change to a democrat because it worked so well for Hillary Clinton.

One election at a time maybe and start thinking about 2016. He will say that he will not run unless his supporters demand that he do so. I wonder will they, they seem to be a persistant group.

eyelight

It is interesting to watch the slow but steady growth in the Paul campaign since he burst onto the national scene. He seems to have gone from about 4% nationally to 12% in the past 4 years while stronger in some states.

There are people now asking what happens if he fails to win this time and how many more times he should run, if any. In theory if he is in as good as shape as Thurmond who was over 100 in the Senate, he could run in 2016, 20, 24 28 and 2032 while still younger.

Some are saying he should change to a democrat because it worked so well for Hillary Clinton.

One election at a time maybe and start thinking about 2016. He will say that he will not run unless his supporters demand that he do so. I wonder will they, they seem to be a persistant group.

Are you writing him off for the coming election in 2012?

CanRonPaulSavetheUS

Not at all. He has an excellent chance. He cant get 50% of the delagates but he and the other can easily prevent anyone else from doing so as well. After the 1st ballot at the Convention all delegates cease to be committed and the entire primary voting is laid aside.

Then he bocomes the favorite, though an outsider like Jeb Bush could be chosen as well

Analyzer

FF themselves have always declared their affiliation for the US Democrats. And the US democrats get on really well with FF politicians.

Also the US Democrats have a tendency to run Chicago like FF used to run the old Dublin Corporation. Though even FF never sold seats in the Senate.

owedtojoy

Ron Paul has crippling deficiencies besides his age.

- He is only a Congressman. I do not think a President has come out of Congress since Lincoln.
- He has never occupied a major executive office like a Secretaryship, or an Ambassadorship.
- Related to the above, he is not a proven vote winner at a statewide level, with at least one major landslide victory under his belt. Even Obama had that.
- He is distinctly non-charismatic.

I think after this one, he will probably chuck it in, because unless he acquires one of the above characteristics, running for President is not going to get any easier. For example, his appeal to younger is not going to improve.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies