Ronan O'Gara - Not a mental health professional or a medical doctor

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Interesting article in the Indo today - not because it contains high brow nuggets of wisdom, but because it is a basically a brain fart afforded to a man who is good at running and passing things when doing so without any sort of proper, critical analysis by an actual mental health professional. But hey, this is D'Indo and in between shots of yer one from the Blurred lines video flashing her cleavage and Kathryn Thomas' latest shoe shopping epic, we get these snippets.

Ronan O'Gara: 'I don't know what real depression is but I know what sports depression is'

Really Ronan? You know what 'sports depression' is? Which is.....

"I don't know what real depression is, thankfully, but I know what sports depression is, because I've suffered it a lot of times," said O'Gara.

"And that really is as horrendous. Thoughts come into your head where you'd be happy if your world just ended. You think about it, and I realise that would be a selfish thing to do, because I'm mentally sane.

This would be afterwards, if you haven't performed, and you feel like you've let other people down. In 2000, we could have a won a European Cup and I missed four kicks; it meant that Peter Clohessy and Mick Galwey didn't get a European Cup medal.

"At the time, it seems like there is no way forward. There was personal stuff that came out around the time."
If you get to a point in your profession whereby you wished that you no longer existed, that might be a precursor for real depression. It might not, but wishing yourself gone is a not a good sign.

Of course it might just be that he was disappointed, it happens.

The issue really is that they could cobble Ronan O'Gara, a big name, with depression to manufacture a head line - Ronan O'Gara probably didn't have depression, but then, like Ronan, I am not a mental health professional either.

This is what our media puts out now - celebrities being allowed to waffle on without any balance at all. How many teenagers will hear these words and think 'oh, I must have sports depression, maybe if I win I will be cured?''

Also, according to Ronan,

"I took creatine and all that stuff, but I don't think there are really issues with that," added O'Gara.
No Ronan? Are you now also a medical doctor?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/01/02/507478762/is-the-warning-that-creatines-not-for-teens-getting-through

He also speaks about S African teens using steroids (apparently, according to Ronan, if they are using steroids that proves their exisence [seriously, read the article], I can't really quote anymore of the article due to copyright concerns]) but there is a genuine fear creatine can be very harmful to developing teenagers.

Again, how many teenagers will hear these words and think ''oh, Ronan said: ''I don't think is really any issue with that''.

In the midst of all the claims of fake news, we are still being presented with utter cr@p like this dressed up as journalism. It might be harmless enough from one point of view but when you consider how much sway sports stars have (consider how much money they are paid for endorsements) , is it too much to ask that media outlets measure their articles with some facts and input from people who actually know what they are talking about? In the wake of appointing Stephen Rae to a body purporting to fight 'fake news' you really know you are down the rabbit hole:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-praises-irish-fake-news-fight-role-36485665.html

Nice to see Denis being for effusive in his praise. I wonder if he is still angry over Gemma O'Doherty getting the sack from......

The_SR

You have clearly never played or been involved in sport.

Never had a bad day at work where you questioned the point of it all either?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

You have clearly never played or been involved in sport.
You have clearly missed the entire point of my post and yes, I have played many sports into adulthood.

Never had a bad day at work where you questioned the point of it all either?
I've had many but never felt the need to invent an entirely new branch of a recognized illness.

The Field Marshal

Looking at male Irish rugby players in the media over the years it seems most of them are quite depressed.

I have made this evaluation based upon the melancholy sad tones most of them use even when discussing high achievements.

It is quite remarkable and would make the average guy steer clear of male professional rugby if this is what it is doing to those who play it.

The wimmin on the other hand all seem quite hyped.

Dearghoul

Interesting article in the Indo today - not because it contains high brow nuggets of wisdom, but because it is a basically a brain fart afforded to a man who is good at running and passing things when doing so without any sort of proper, critical analysis by an actual mental health professional. But hey, this is D'Indo and in between shots of yer one from the Blurred lines video flashing her cleavage and Kathryn Thomas' latest shoe shopping epic, we get these snippets.

Ronan O'Gara: 'I don't know what real depression is but I know what sports depression is'

Really Ronan? You know what 'sports depression' is? Which is.....

If you get to a point in your profession whereby you wished that you no longer existed, that might be a precursor for real depression. It might not, but wishing yourself gone is a not a good sign.

Of course it might just be that he was disappointed, it happens.

The issue really is that they could cobble Ronan O'Gara, a big name, with depression to manufacture a head line - Ronan O'Gara probably didn't have depression, but then, like Ronan, I am not a mental health professional either.

This is what our media puts out now - celebrities being allowed to waffle on without any balance at all. How many teenagers will hear these words and think 'oh, I must have sports depression, maybe if I win I will be cured?''

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/01/02/507478762/is-the-warning-that-creatines-not-for-teens-getting-through

He also speaks about S African teens using steroids (apparently, according to Ronan, if they are using steroids that proves their exisence [seriously, read the article], I can't really quote anymore of the article due to copyright concerns]) but there is a genuine fear creatine can be very harmful to developing teenagers.

Again, how many teenagers will hear these words and think ''oh, Ronan said: ''I don't think is really any issue with that''.

In the midst of all the claims of fake news, we are still being presented with utter cr@p like this dressed up as journalism. It might be harmless enough from one point of view but when you consider how much sway sports stars have (consider how much money they are paid for endorsements) , is it too much to ask that media outlets measure their articles with some facts and input from people who actually know what they are talking about? In the wake of appointing Stephen Rae to a body purporting to fight 'fake news' you really know you are down the rabbit hole:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-praises-irish-fake-news-fight-role-36485665.html

Nice to see Denis being for effusive in his praise. I wonder if he is still angry over Gemma O'Doherty getting the sack from......
He shouldn't blame himself for the third one.

There was an awful swirling gust just as he kicked it.

Degeneration X

Looking at male Irish rugby players in the media over the years it seems most of them are quite depressed.

I have made this evaluation based upon the melancholy sad tones most of them use even when discussing high achievements.

It is quite remarkable and would make the average guy steer clear of male professional rugby if this is what it is doing to those who play it.

Concussions?

eoghanacht

I'm all for keeping this taboo out front and center, I've lost a father and an uncle to suicide because of depression.

When Brezzie was derided in some quarters for speaking out or at least starting a conversation I thought what he was doing, speaking about his own experiences was a good thing.

There may be no correlation but last year was the first time that the male suicide figures shifted from predominantly young men being the highest age group to commit suicide to older men and iirc there was an over all drop in the figures of male suicide.

I put that down to our new found openness in discussing the subject of mental health.

I'm prepared to forgive ham fisted attempts like Ronan's.

tsarbomb

A lot of people in professional sports suffer from depression because of all those supplements they take. Most of these products being pushed nowadays do a tremendous amount of damage to your body, and in particular your liver. Quite ironic that they are sold in so called "health food shops".

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I'm all for keeping this taboo out front and center, I've lost a father and an uncle to suicide because of depression.

When Brezzie was derided in some quarters for speaking out or at least starting a conversation I thought what he was doing, speaking about his own experiences was a good thing.

There may be no correlation but last year was the first time that the male suicide figures shifted from predominantly young men being the highest age group to commit suicide to older men and iirc there was an over all drop in the figures of male suicide.

I put that down to our new found openness in discussing the subject of mental health.

I'm prepared to forgive ham fisted attempts like Ronan's.
I'm only having a mild pop at him, he is just talking. Its the media and of course the Indo with their interminable brain dead articles that meander nowhere. But I do agree, we need to have more discussion around the issue, always.

I foresee some people suddenly developing 'sports depression' as a result of this!

eoghanacht

I'm only having a mild pop at him, he is just talking. Its the media and of course the Indo with their interminable brain dead articles that meander nowhere. But I do agree, we need to have more discussion around the issue, always.

I foresee some people suddenly developing 'sports depression' as a result of this!

Like a Kildare GAA supporter?

Mushroom

Given that one of ROG's team mates took his own life some years ago, I suspect that he is very conscious of the difference between 'real' depression and the post-defeat low that is part and parcel of the life of every professional sportsperson.

Analyzer

Surely a contributing factor to the state of mental health of rugby players, boxers, ad possibly gaelic football players is the level of physical abuse in these "sports".....

And it does not help that from the age of 5 years old, young boys are relentlessly indoctrinated to participate in these stupid pursuits as if winning in them is something important.

As Noam Chomsky commented about media promotion of these sports "they tell us it is important..precisely because it is NOT important, at all".

I don't suppose the overtly pro-rugger "Irish" "Independent" wishes to talk about this.

CookieMonster

"I took creatine and all that stuff, but I don't think there are really issues with that," added O'Gara.
A friend of mine is a strength and conditioning coach, he works with professional athletes and was involved with schools to help educate on responsible and appropriate training regimes for youth athletes. He was saying that some schools had been considering installing sharps bins, as they'd begone to find more and more syringes on their sites.

Creatine is only useful in certain circumstances, can be hugely damaging to young bodies, but is the thing end of the wedge when it comes to young athletes. These are irresponsible and disappointing comments from him.

cricket

Few points, in no particular order :
O'Gara is no medic, but his personal experience is not unique.
I know one former LOI player who enjoyed a certain amount of success, yet told me when his career ended that he hated every single minute of playtime as a semi-professional. He said he only enjoyed the game as an amateur.
This piece on Ryan Giggs also gives food for thought :
Ryan Giggs reveals he visited psychiatrist in bid to cope with life away from Manchester United - Mirror Online
I know of several former GAA stars who were highly successful as players but who developed addictions as soon as the spotlight was no longer on them. They just don't seem to be able to handle the downer that follows the great days. Right now, one of them is seriously ill at a relatively young age. Something that the GPA and the non-intercounty rep body need to give more attention to.
O'Gara's interview wasn't the most intelligent but it touches on an area that needs more exploration.

toastedheretic

A lot of people in professional sports suffer from depression because of all those supplements they take. Most of these products being pushed nowadays do a tremendous amount of damage to your body, and in particular your liver. Quite ironic that they are sold in so called "health food shops".
What kind of supplements are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niall996

He shouldn't blame himself for the third one.

There was an awful swirling gust just as he kicked it.
I know. We shouldn;'t blame. And I don't blame. And it's all just a game ...ah damn, I just wish he'd got that kick. I thought it was the last kick he took (and missed..but no blame) that would have won, but I could be wrong.

fat finger

Wrong again, FM
Rugby is a team game, and must be discussed as a team effort, what some mistakenly call depression clinical psychologists would accurately describe as modesty and team spirit, this is what Ireland's Call is all about, players bigging up the team and playing down their own heroics

Dearghoul

I know. We shouldn;'t blame. And I don't blame. And it's all just a game ...ah damn, I just wish he'd got that kick. I thought it was the last kick he took (and missed..but no blame) that would have won, but I could be wrong.
Actually you're right, it was the fourth.

Say's a lot that he still cites that game of 17 years ago after his long and illustrious career.

There must have been some dark days afterwards.

danger here

Maybe cos half of them grew up in fecking Limerick

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies