• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rory McIlroy's $180m Nike Sponship Deal-is it obscene?

Morgellons

Does any one else find this obsence? That a young man gifted at the game of golf should be getting so much money from one sponship deal alone for playing a game he clearly loves in times like this when hospitals are closing down all over the wesetern world and living conditions deteriorate for the majority. It could be viewed as even more obscene when you consider how Nike operates and what it represents.

Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

I've put this in current affairs because I think it has more resonance than just a sport's story.

oggy

Does any one else find this obsence? That a young man gifted at the game of golf should be getting so much money from one sponship deal alone for playing a game he clearly loves in times like this when hospitals are closing down all over the wesetern world and living conditions deteriorate for the majority. It could be viewed as even more obscene when you consider how Nike operates and what it represents.

Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

I've put this in current affairs because I think it has more resonance than just a sport's story.
Isnt it over 10 years ? Start banning all "obscene" incomes whether it be sport or otherwise and in no time we would be in the hellhole communism created in Russia from 1917 onwards. Understand also Rory does a fair amount of charity work.

I do find it a bit obscene as a regular golfer to receive so much money for hitting a small ball with a twisted piece of metal at the end of a stick

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Isn't it more like $250,000,000? Obscene because its Nike? Or the money is obscene?

My 2c. I don't think it is obscene. Fair play to Rory. His talent and dedication and luck (that is, to be talented at golf as opposed to say, fly fishing) have ensured that he will found (assuming he has kids one day) a legacy that should carry down through his descendents into the far future. Nike aren't the cartoon villian some would like to believe they are. Whilst I would go out of my way not to wear their brand on my person they are just another company at the end of the day.

PlanetBertie

Under the Capitalist monetary system the most goes to those at the top. Rory is number one so he gets the most. Nike will need to sell a heap of gear to get their investment back. However I totally agree with you.
Hopefully Rory will open a new wing of a hospital, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
BTW: The money translates to just a few score grand short of a half million a week for 10 years. Not too shabby. And that's before he adds any tournament wins.

between the bridges

fair play and good luck to the lad.

controller

l=http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/rory-mcilroys-family-insist-180m-sponsorship-deal-wont-change-him-3353473.html]Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie[/url]

That's a ridiculous statement. No matter what money is spent on, roads, schools etc, you could always use the false argument "what about the hospitals". Anyhow, none of that is his fault. Don't be such a begrudger.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Does not sound as insane when you break it down like that.
Everything's relative. And yes, by any standard it is a lot of money. But, Nike aren't a charity so we can only assume he's worth it, in the scheme of things. If you want to examine it from a moral perspective; should he have refused? Of course not. Take the money and do some good with it.

RepublicOfLuas

Isnt it over 10 years ? Start banning all "obscene" incomes whether it be sport or otherwise and in no time we would be in the hellhole communism created in Russia from 1917 onwards. Understand also Rory does a fair amount of charity work.

I do find it a bit obscene as a regular golfer to receive so much money for hitting a small ball with a twisted piece of metal at the end of a stick
Obscene as the amount might be, I have no doubt that he will donate a lot of it to charitable causes.

Morgellons

Everything's relative. And yes, by any standard it is a lot of money. But, Nike aren't a charity so we can only assume he's worth it, in the scheme of things. If you want to examine it from a moral perspective; should he have refused? Of course not. Take the money and do some good with it.
How will Nike profit from the deal?

Morgellons

Do you think written into the contract was a "no philandering" clause.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
How will Nike profit from the deal?
Intangibly and tangibly. By associating their brand with a sporting genius and by selling more stuff.

Sync

:rolleyes: And if Rory didn't take this amount, how much of the $180 million will be put into Irish hospitals? The guy has worked hard all his life in his chosen field. He's now the best in that field. If you excel, you get paid lots of money. It's been like that forever. Welcome to earth.

Mackers

I truly wish the lad well. Just hope he keeps the girl friend away from his drivers if they have a tiff.:D

Morgellons

Intangibly and tangibly. By associating their brand with a sporting genius and by selling more stuff.
What's the world market in golfing goods I wonder and what share do Nike have of it.

I just googled that it's worth 6.58 billion by 2015. I never realised it was that much.