Rory O'Hanlon announces his retirement

gijoe

No surprise I guess at his age but the Cavan Monaghan deputy has announced that he is not running in the forthcoming General Election.

Riadach

At this rate, will there be any FF candidates?

flavirostris

Not as much of a surprise as Ahern. A true dinosaur of Irish Politics, along with M Woods.

Propforward

In the FF Family tradition, will Ardal be taking over?
Ardal - Father, i heard of a cult where they dress up in suits and walk around the place every 5 years promising the untold prosperity and tax breaks but then end up destroying the country for generations to come.
Rory - thats us son.

Aindriu

Cue Freddy:

.... another one bites the dust petunia

stalins granny

I doubt SF would be getting much of Seymour Crawfords vote.

Do SF have a decent Cavan based candidate?
the constituency will be one hell of a scrap but sinn fein dont have two quotas or anything near it,so it will all depend on transfers my prediction is fine gael 2, ff 1 (smyth),sinn fein 1 and then lab and sinn fein 2 scraping it out for the last seat

Dillon Country

the constituency will be one hell of a scrap but sinn fein dont have two quotas or anything near it,so it will all depend on transfers my prediction is fine gael 2, ff 1 (smyth),sinn fein 1 and then lab and sinn fein 2 scraping it out for the last seat
Interesting analysis. It all depends on the strategy used by the different parties. Talk is of FG running three - Senator Joe O'Reilly, Cllr Heather Humphries and Cllr Madeline Argus from Cavan town. That could leave Brendan Smith fighting for survival and he will have nothing to give transfer to Margaret Conlon from Monaghan.

SF dont have a credible candidate in Cavan and Labour have no organisation whatsoever on the ground.

This could be a good constituency for FG to take 3 - but its a long shot! Despite all the trauma and the anger, old loyalties die hard around here. I could still see FF emerge with 2.

Moogie

Don't forget Paudge Connolly. He is posed to benefit from the retirements of both Crawford and O'Hanlon as a Monaghan based candidate.
Has he announced his candidacy? The time he was elected he was nothing but a FF stooge and backed them in every vote (that I can think of). I can't see him getting elected this time.

Pat Mc Larnon

Where exactly is the Labour vote going to come from? They don't even have a county councillor in either Monaghan or Cavan.
SF will get a seat based on their Monaghan vote alone. They have about 5k votes in Cavan and a good local candidate there will olny add to that. That is without factoring in the collapse of the FF vote and the standing down of O'Hanlon. Two SF seats are there for the taking.

LDF

This is one of only a few constituencies Labour haven't a hope in hell of winning a seat. Labour could recruit Nudie Hughes or Paddy Kavanagh and neither would get their deposit back.

The result should be: FF 1, FG 2, SF 2.

Doc O'Hanlon: He retired years ago. He only bothered to announce it now.

il toro

Just a wee note of thanks for Dr o Hanlon, a fine politcician and I wish him a well deserved retirement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies