• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Rosa Parks RIP

damianob

Website
www.askdirect.ie
Rosa Parks, the woman who refused to give up her seat on the bus and so lit the flame of the civil rights movement in the US died quietly in her sleep last night.

Her courage was an inspiration to generations of people committed to equality, liberty and justice. And the echoes of her actions can be seen over here in the NI Civil Rights Campaign.

May she rest in peace.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1600197,00.html

Kerrygold

May she RIP. A truly remarkable woman and a great friend to the Irish cause.

DOD

R.I.P

The OD

RIP

MacCoise

Kerrygold said:
Really? In what way apart from being an inspiration did she contribute? Just curious, I never heard anything about it.

Kerrygold

MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:
Really? In what way apart from being an inspiration did she contribute? Just curious, I never heard anything about it.
She met with Gerry Adams and offered her support to him when he was on one of his visits to the US.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:
She met with Gerry Adams and offered her support to him when he was on one of his visits to the US.
:?

Gerry Adams = "Ireland"

meriwether

Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:
It was probably this meeting that inspired her to fight for equal rights for black people.

Kerrygold

smiffy said:
Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:

Gerry Adams = "Ireland"
Fair enough. She was friendly to the cause of Irish unity.

zakalwe

RIP

meriwether said:
Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:
It was probably this meeting that inspired her to fight for equal rights for black people.
in 1955? she met Gerry Adams before this? wasnt he like, seven years old when the bus incident happened?

:shock:

Kerrygold

StoneTheIceman said:
meriwether said:
Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
Kerrygold said:
in 1955? she met Gerry Adams before this? wasnt he like, seven years old when the bus incident happened?

She met him in the last couple of years.

Kerrygold said:
StoneTheIceman said:
meriwether said:
Kerrygold said:
MacCoise said:
[quote="Kerrygold":2k0gtk6d]May she RIP. A truly remarkable woman and a great friend to the Irish cause.

She met him in the last couple of years.[/quote:2k0gtk6d]

my point is that he couldn't have inspired her to fight against segregation then, could he? (given meriwether's comment)

i'd have loved to hear her view on how life has chnged since the forties and how it has also stayed sadly the same.

may she rest in peace

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies